UK Coronavirus Support Scheme

Started by Javert, September 24, 2020, 05:15:02 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Quote from: Dynamis on September 24, 2020, 05:16:57 PMCould you explain how it works a bit more as I'm not clear on how it operates (and feeling especially braindead today).

Well the way I understood it,
- the employee would work at least one third or more of their normal full time house. 
- They will be paid 76% (or 78%?) of their full salary.
- The employer pays the one third of hours the employee worked at full pay.
- The government and employer each pay one third of the salary for the hours the employee didn't actually work.

The issue some people have raised is that at least while the scheme is running, it's cheaper for the employer to keep one person on full time, than to keep 2 people half time, so it doesn't really make it beneficial to cancel planned redundancies.
wort
In real life it's probably more complicated depending on the type of job - you may have redundancy costs, recruiting costs later on, and training etc to take into account so it could possibly be ok depending on the employment nature etc.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Javert on September 24, 2020, 05:15:02 PM
The Chancellor today announced his new support scheme paying a portion of the wages of workers with "long term viable" jobs.

However quite a few business journalists are pointing out that under his scheme, if you have 5 employees, and you put them on half time working, you will be paying for 3 employees full time but getting 2.5.  However, if you just sack two of them, you get 3 employees for the price of 3.

Therefore it's not clear how this scheme will dissuade employers from making staff redundant (unless they have very high recruitment costs per headcount I suppose)

The details I read a few hours ago made it clear no employer making use of this scheme will be allowed to serve a notice of redundancy on any employee in it and there will be restrictions on board level salaries and perks too.

Rishi is going to end up stabbed to death in a dark alley if he keeps this left wing bias up...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Its maybe a bit clearer for the self employed

Put a claim in and you get 20% of your average earnings up to a maximum of £1875 .  Which means  at least Rishi is buying the beer this Christmas even if we will be drinking it at home on our lonesome

A second claim after Crimbo  is on the cards with levels to be decided

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/921386/FINAL_SE_factsheet.pdf

T00ts

I listened to him in the Commons and the Shadow Chancellor whatever her name is. She's an intense lady - she doesn't seem to have any smile facial muscles.  I was little the wiser.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Javert on September 24, 2020, 05:15:02 PM
The Chancellor today announced his new support scheme paying a portion of the wages of workers with "long term viable" jobs.

However quite a few business journalists are pointing out that under his scheme, if you have 5 employees, and you put them on half time working, you will be paying for 3 employees full time but getting 2.5.  However, if you just sack two of them, you get 3 employees for the price of 3.

Therefore it's not clear how this scheme will dissuade employers from making staff redundant (unless they have very high recruitment costs per headcount I suppose)

Could you explain how it works a bit more as I'm not clear on how it operates (and feeling especially braindead today).
+++

Javert