'My bank is shutting my account because of Brexit'

Started by Dynamis, September 25, 2020, 09:43:33 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on September 26, 2020, 11:05:38 PM80% of my card transactions occur outside the UK, first time my bank questions my location will be the last.

Surely it's up to UK residents who frequently travel in other countries, to choose a card provider that offers the best terms for using their cards overseas. Some card providers require prior notice of destination and duration of travel, others are geared to international use.
Some cards are free, others charge a fee, but often include benefits.
Just takes a bit of comparing...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 27, 2020, 02:36:10 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 26, 2020, 08:59:07 PMWell are the eu sweating on the Swiss referendum on free movement,let's hope despite the threats the Swiss have the balls.
above~#quote by cromwell
I don't think the EU were ever "sweating it"...

Looks like around 2:1 against ditching FoM (which would inevitably unravel the rest of the agreements because if the guillotine clauses in the agreements).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54316316

Excuse me belly , i know you like being disingenuous , but can you please fix your quotation.?

I never made that statement , cromwell did in an earlier post thanks.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 26, 2020, 10:03:35 PMI've lived abroad for 17 years and maintained an HSBC account in the UK for all of that time.
UK banks make no charges for running current accounts that are in credit.
It is difficult to find free bank accounts in some EU countries.
Payments made from UK sources, such as pensions can be received in sterling, then an ex-pat can choose the best time to exchange £ to €.
There are some advantages with no fiddles involved.
HSBC is not one of the banks closing non-resident accounts. How beneficial such an account can be depends on the country of residence. For instance, Germany seems more difficult that Belgium, France, or Italy with extra checks and charges...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Thomas on September 26, 2020, 08:59:07 PMWell are the eu sweating on the Swiss referendum on free movement,let's hope despite the threats the Swiss have the balls.
I don't think the EU were ever "sweating it"...

Looks like around 2:1 against ditching FoM (which would inevitably unravel the rest of the agreements because if the guillotine clauses in the agreements).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54316316

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 27, 2020, 12:23:25 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 27, 2020, 11:03:14 AM
And you think these 'banks' are 'anti-UK' without any evidence whatsoever?

I know the german one that went bust was. Its CEO was quite vocal about it. And the one that shafted every SAGA VISA cardholder is not exactly number one in the grey money hit parade right now. And they're not number one with the Financial Ombudsman either. For those hard of memory, one month before the original Brexit date that May reneged on, the Irish bank providing SAGA with a raft of financial products as an affinity partner including the best deal anyone would ever get on credit cards anywhere on the planet, less than 11% APR, wrote to all its customers saying f**k you, we are calling in your loan you british piece of shit.

Well of course, they actually said "as of the 27th feb your credit agreement is terminated, we choose not to reassign it, you must repay us every penny you owe..." but the effect was the same, most people panicked like f**k and took out loans to repay this one (a bloody stupid thing to do, i agree - I very quickly found a card provider in the uk more than happy to give me 18 months at 0% APR for the paltry sum actually on the card and do a balance transfer. However, I and it seems every other SAGA cardholder in the UK wrote to the financial ombudsman to complain at Allied Irish Bank's particular path and tone, and the ombudsman agreed, forcing them to choose between bunging everyone a compensation sum of something like 4% of the card balance at the day they served the letter on us PLUS refunding every penny of provable interest over and above the 10.9% APR the card they shut offered from the day of closure to thepresent day, or face a formal investigation of their breach of financial treaties

https://www.google.com/search?q=allied+irish+banks+ombudsman&safe=strict&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&prmd=nmiv&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji8rKJo4nsAhUZi1wKHWuhBvsQ_AUoAXoECAkQAQ&biw=360&bih=592&dpr=2

AIB seem super-scandal hit; every bank scandal one can possibly imagine seems to have touched upon them.

Irish banks aren't exactly the cleanest in the world these days are they? What did you expect would happen? And why do you think they're singling out the UK as opposed to acting on their natural instinct to feck thingd up and be as greedy as they possibly can in any way they can think of?

They were simply seizing on an opportunity (or so they thought) to exploit a 'ceisis' to make as much money as possible, there's nothing personalized about it.

QuoteSo I received a rather tidy sum from them that paid my in flight bar bill for the holiday that I'd charged to the card....

Sorry dyno, fact is
1) the banks that chose to snub uk customers did so ages ago and already paid the price

These banks in OP are different, and seem to have no particular track record of snubbing 'UK' customers.

Um..... Lloyds are a British banking group. Why on earth would they even want to spite Brit expats over Brexit?

Quote2) there are a wealth of other banks more than happy to fill the gap, offering banking to UK citizens resident in the UK, UK citizens expat in all sorts of places and and all manner of people in between.

That's not in dispute.

3 That some petty small minded shitholes wish to make a point of their pro-remoan stance and try to shit on former customers is something that will cause them nothing but pain and already is.

Well when long established brit banks like Lloyds are described as 'petty small minded shitholes ..shitting on customers' who are expats, I have to wonder if you've considered what you are talking about.

I guess banks are putting ideology before financial gain...oh yeah that really sounds like banks! Don't Lloyds charge something like £60 in one go if you go into unarranged overdraft? They are bastions of Europeanism and generosity and compassion..  ;)
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis on September 27, 2020, 11:03:14 AM

I know the german one that went bust was. Its CEO was quite vocal about it. And the one that shafted every SAGA VISA cardholder is not exactly number one in the grey money hit parade right now. And they're not number one with the Financial Ombudsman either. For those hard of memory, one month before the original Brexit date that May reneged on, the Irish bank providing SAGA with a raft of financial products as an affinity partner including the best deal anyone would ever get on credit cards anywhere on the planet, less than 11% APR, wrote to all its customers saying F@@@ you, we are calling in your loan you british piece of shit.

Well of course, they actually said "as of the 27th feb your credit agreement is terminated, we choose not to reassign it, you must repay us every penny you owe..." but the effect was the same, most people panicked like F@@@ and took out loans to repay this one (a bloody stupid thing to do, i agree - I very quickly found a card provider in the uk more than happy to give me 18 months at 0% APR for the paltry sum actually on the card and do a balance transfer. However, I and it seems every other SAGA cardholder in the UK wrote to the financial ombudsman to complain at Allied Irish Bank's particular path and tone, and the ombudsman agreed, forcing them to choose between bunging everyone a compensation sum of something like 4% of the card balance at the day they served the letter on us PLUS refunding every penny of provable interest over and above the 10.9% APR the card they shut offered from the day of closure to thepresent day, or face a formal investigation of their breach of financial treaties

So I received a rather tidy sum from them that paid my in flight bar bill for the holiday that I'd charged to the card....

Sorry dyno, fact is
1) the banks that chose to snub uk customers did so ages ago and already paid the price
2) there are a wealth of other banks more than happy to fill the gap, offering banking to UK citizens resident in the UK, UK citizens expat in all sorts of places and and all manner of people in between. One of them takes me on as a database developer for a 30% salary hike in a fortnight. I can't thank brexit enough ... and
3 That some petty small minded shitholes wish to make a point of their pro-remoan stance and try to shit on former customers is something that will cause them nothing but pain and already is.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 27, 2020, 09:48:23 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 25, 2020, 09:43:33 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-54240777

So whar's the line on this then? More made up project fear bollocks and a weird obsession with holes in the wall? Or is it just some invented fantasy stuff to make yourself feel better about your feelings of inadequacy for voting for a lying con merchant (or sellout con merchants in the BXP), who will now as streetwalker puts it - "take it up the jacksie for the good of the country" and likely compromise in some way in the end anyway, like a yotal alley cat prowling the streets on heat..

Well...

Seeing as I was a database admin in Barclays before Brexit but when Hirdon Half Blind Brown brought in the measures that ACTUALLY caused this, and seeing ad I'll be a database man at another bank in three weeks, I will bite.

First of all....

You do know that about a decade ago the EU brought in money laundering regulations that made it impossible for a uk citizen to have a bank account in the channel islands or the isle of man dont you? And then a couple of Eu states decided to do the same on the grounds it was too bothersome to risk a moneylaundeting raid and decided instead to violate your treaty of Rome right to.open a bank account in any member state...

So the whole pretext of this BBC pile of remoanercshit is just that. Shit.

Having said that

As of next year banks wishing to offer facilities in the uk must have a uk banking licence and those wishing to offer them in the eu must have an eu licence.

I have an account with one of the new breed of start ups that have no branches. Last year its german competitor told every one of their uk customers they were not buying a uk licence and could thus f**k off.

My bank of that variety immediately sent out an email saying they already had the required uk licence, intended keeping the Ezu one going seoaratelyband welcomed anyone wishing to transfer

I think the german bank went bust a few months back.

Go woke, go broke is the mantra. Applies to go anti uk too it seems...

Well good luck with that when Brexit hits and we'll see exactly what happens wrt banking licensing, because you nor I have any idea how it'll turn out which is the key point here; and it's the uncertainty that has made the banks do this, rightly or wrongly, so cataracts or not, obese old voice Brown has nowt to do with this lateqt feckup much as I dislike him.
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis on September 25, 2020, 09:43:33 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-54240777

So whar's the line on this then? More made up project fear bollocks and a weird obsession with holes in the wall? Or is it just some invented fantasy stuff to make yourself feel better about your feelings of inadequacy for voting for a lying con merchant (or sellout con merchants in the BXP), who will now as streetwalker puts it - "take it up the jacksie for the good of the country" and likely compromise in some way in the end anyway, like a yotal alley cat prowling the streets on heat..

Well...

Seeing as I was a database admin in Barclays before Brexit but when Hirdon Half Blind Brown brought in the measures that ACTUALLY caused this, and seeing ad I'll be a database man at another bank in three weeks, I will bite.

First of all....

You do know that about a decade ago the EU brought in money laundering regulations that made it impossible for a uk citizen to have a bank account in the channel islands or the isle of man dont you? And then a couple of Eu states decided to do the same on the grounds it was too bothersome to risk a moneylaundeting raid and decided instead to violate your treaty of Rome right to.open a bank account in any member state...

So the whole pretext of this BBC pile of remoanercshit is just that. Shit.

Having said that

As of next year banks wishing to offer facilities in the uk must have a uk banking licence and those wishing to offer them in the eu must have an eu licence.

I have an account with one of the new breed of start ups that have no branches. Last year its german competitor told every one of their uk customers they were not buying a uk licence and could thus F@@@ off.

My bank of that variety immediately sent out an email saying they already had the required uk licence, intended keeping the Ezu one going seoaratelyband welcomed anyone wishing to transfer

I think the german bank went bust a few months back.

Go woke, go broke is the mantra. Applies to go anti uk too it seems...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 09:22:19 PM

Sorry, how does a blog post in 2020 have any bearing on the referendum in 2016?

You are trying , and failing to disingenuously sell brexit as having been enacted simply by withdrawing the uk MEP`s from the eu parliament , and im showing how brexiters arent buying into that crap.

Further within those blogs and articles , it clearly shows a comres poll showing the public dont buy into your crap about the transition period being some sort of brexit because the public want to leave the transition period without any further delays at the end of the year.

QuoteYou can't retrospectively change what the referendum question was.

No one is trying to.

You though are retrospectively trying and failing to change the meaning of membership of the eu.

Membership of the eu didnt simply mean sending politicians to the eu parliament.

Membership of the eu also meant leaving Freedom of movement with the eu , a key plank in the 2016 leave campaign when they talked about controlling out own borders , and controlling immigration.

That hasnt happened yet , and we are still part of this eu rule.

Membership of the eu also meant leaving the eu customs union.  Again a key plank of the 2016 leave campaign when they talked about the uk making its own trade deals.

That hasnt happened yet and we are still a member of the eu customs union.

Membership of the eu also meant leaving the eu courts juirsdiction. A key plank of the leave campaign was when they talked about making our own laws.

Thats hasnt happened yet as we are stil under eu courts jurisdiction.

So quite clearly membership of the eu hasnt ended , but it will do in 13 weeks time.

As i pointed out earlier , you even briefly acknowledge this earler in the thread when you said...
Until Jan we are treated as a member for the purposes of the single market, tariffs, etc

You seem to be still running around screaming the same thing over and over again beely to yourself as i have told you before.

QuoteThat was literally the argument against any sort of soft brexit, that it wouldn't honor the letter of the 2016 referendum.

We have had this disingenuous argument for BRINO , or what you are now calling a "soft" brexit  over the last four years.

Its nothing new , or unique , and it has received a kicking time and gain. You have had plenty of chances to get a party elected on a soft brexit ticket , steven kinnock for example and labour were arguing this time and again and it received short thrift from many of his fellow mps and the public.

QuoteA group of soft Brexit MPs, including the Conservative Nick Boles and Labour's Stephen Kinnock, advocates a so-called Norway plus model involving a customs union with the EU and membership of the bloc's single market.

https://www.ft.com/content/e8755708-45b7-11e9-a965-23d669740bfb

QuoteMPs reject Norway Plus deal without customs union in Brexit vote

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/27/mps-reject-norway-plus-deal-without-customs-union-brexit-vote-9037649/

QuoteMPs vote against having customs union with EU in Brexit deal

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/27/mps-vote-customs-union-eu-brexit-deal-9037652/

Further norwegian politicians rejected the proposed uk membership of efta .So what are you actually going on about beelbeeb?

What purpose do you think it serves raking over the coals time and again? Four years we debated not leaving the eu , or BRINO , and you lost every vote in that time , the mythical silent remain majoirty didnt appear , and you couldnt win over the hearts and minds of the population.

Outside scotland , northern ireland and london , it seems to me no one agrees with you beelbeeb.

QuoteAs for renegotiating the WA, that ship has sailed.

You hope you mean.

Lets see what happens.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on September 26, 2020, 10:24:52 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 26, 2020, 09:58:49 PM
Quote from: Borchester on September 26, 2020, 09:43:37 PM
Barmy Barnier bankrupts British granny.

At least Macron had the decency to marry his. :o :o

Are you jealous you didn't get the chance to?  :D

Brigitte would have been mine were it not for that foul frog  >:( >:(

I think it would be Brigitte who'd be marrying a granny.  :D What is it the French say.. vive l'incest?
+++

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 03:02:35 PMDo they not think their bank will notice that all their transactions are occuring in the EU.

80% of my card transactions occur outside the UK, first time my bank questions my location will be the last.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on September 26, 2020, 09:58:49 PM

Brigitte would have been mine were it not for that foul frog  >:( >:(
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: patman post on September 26, 2020, 05:16:40 PM
Storm in a tea cup. But raises the question of why, if you live in one country and there's no fiddles involved, would you want your normal everyday banking to be handled from an account in what was your home country.
Retail banks have proved to have little or no loyalty to customers, so why do long-standing customers expect their loyalty to count for anything...?
I've lived abroad for 17 years and maintained an HSBC account in the UK for all of that time.
UK banks make no charges for running current accounts that are in credit.
It is difficult to find free bank accounts in some EU countries.
Payments made from UK sources, such as pensions can be received in sterling, then an ex-pat can choose the best time to exchange £ to €.
There are some advantages with no fiddles involved.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 26, 2020, 09:17:16 PM
Tbh, as streetwalker said - you really can't trust the Tories, I so wouldn't be surprised if they caved and compromised with the EU when the going get's tough just as I and Brexiters and even some pragmatic remainers have suggested.

Bojo is so incredibly untrustworthy.

I know beel hopes that that happens, but it will inevitably lead to a renewed BXP billionaires banquet where they will likely clean up and take loads of seats.
Honestly, I don't think I do hope for that.

Think? Are you uncertain?

QuoteI think the damage is done now.  Any deal will just be used by Johnson and the Leavers as a fig leaf to keep blaming their failures on the EU.

Exactly.

QuoteYou are right the Johnson is untrustworthy and I do think there is a very good chance of Johnson caving in for a very thin "deal" which he (and leavers) will use to crow "see! we got a deal! told you we could do it! - This deal is amazing!!!".  Then is 6 moths time "the deal is terrible! it's the EU's fault!"

100% agree.

QuoteAt this point I think we need to lie in the bed we shat in.  So roll on no deal, roll on the UK reneging on the NI protocol and roll on the consequences.

Yes rolling over the shite, on the bed of shite as bedbugs do, sounds about right. Especially ConDem supporters who gave Cameron their full backing in the early years then blame everyone except themselves. As if they are absolved somehow of responsibility.

...or worse still, a Starmer govt.
at this point I'd go for competency.  I may distrust labour and may not like many of their political factions but KS seems in a different league when it comes to actual competency (not a high accolade)

You would say that, being a ConDem come LD come Nu Labour-lite supporter.

I honestly couldn't tell you which is worse, but Tory Remainers who blamed the EU for everything in 2010-2016 now turning around and seeing the result of their blame game stuff, only have themselves to blame for this.

Shouldn'ta supported the ConDems should you!
There is a big dollop of truth in that. The EU has been a convenient scapegoat for British politicians for all their careers.  it is the UK political equivalent of "Health and Safety" - doing something that's unpopular? Blame H&S/EU.  Don't want to do something?  Blame H&S/EU.

Agreed. That's it.

I would forgive you for your ConDem support but then you supported the lies against Corbyn, supported Remain lies, supported the LD's and now Starmer who are just as bad as D Cameron, supported denigrating Scot indyref and you probably helped the Tories 'nix the AV ref in 2011 as well.

And you support using any anti-democratic means to stop Brexit as you conceded on other threads, even in spite of Bojo's mandate. I saw you saying that.

+++