'My bank is shutting my account because of Brexit'

Started by Dynamis, September 25, 2020, 09:43:33 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 05:50:53 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 26, 2020, 03:51:22 PMBrexit hasnt happened , we are in transition. You and  your remainer friends need to look up the meaning of the word transition , and the transition process ends at the end of the year.

Are we or are we not a member of the EU?

It's a yes/no question. Very simple.

So do you know the answer?

(Here's a link to help you out https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea)

That is a bit disingenuous to be fair.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 05:43:22 PM

I keep pointing out brexit has happened.

Aye ok beely , if you also told me scot indy had happened simply because scotland had taken all its mps out of westminster while still being bound by westminster decisions laws and paying fees to westminster i would similarly laugh at you.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 05:50:53 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 26, 2020, 03:51:22 PMBrexit hasnt happened , we are in transition. You and  your remainer friends need to look up the meaning of the word transition , and the transition process ends at the end of the year.

yes we are still a de facto member .

Rule taker , bill payer , till then end of the year.

BeElBeeBub

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Thomas on September 26, 2020, 03:51:22 PMLets all hold our breaths and stop brexit

I keep pointing out brexit has happened.

Given how *even though it has happened* brexiters tend to think it hasn't, maybe the easiest path would have been to not leave, make our passports blue and tell them we had

Frankly I doubt any of them would notice.

patman post

Storm in a tea cup. But raises the question of why, if you live in one country and there's no fiddles involved, would you want your normal everyday banking to be handled from an account in what was your home country.
Retail banks have proved to have little or no loyalty to customers, so why do long-standing customers expect their loyalty to count for anything...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 03:40:01 PM

Might be more or less of an annoyance to some depending on personal circumstances.

But it is yet another thing that has happened and now brexiters are telling us they expected it to happen and it's no big deal.

Thats too bad isnt it?

Lets all hold our breaths and stop brexit and anything else that inconveniences some auld bird that left the uk to live abroad twenty years ago.

I mean im hanging on her every word and in complete pain at the thought of her every inconvenience.

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 03:40:01 PM
It's not the greatest imposition in the world.

Might be more or less of an annoyance to some depending on personal circumstances.

But it is yet another thing that has happened and now brexiters are telling us they expected it to happen and it's no big deal.

Is a vehicle border around Kent something you honestly expected to happen?  Is it no big deal?

Brexit has already happened. We left the EU at the end of January.

Changing bank online is a job that take mere minutes , i have done it so often in the past its almost effortless. Its another remainer whinge non story.

Brexit hasnt happened , we are in transition. You and  your remainer friends need to look up the meaning of the word transition , and the transition process ends at the end of the year.

BeElBeeBub

It's not the greatest imposition in the world.

Is a vehicle border around Kent something you honestly expected to happen?  Is it no big deal?

Brexit has already happened. We left the EU at the end of January.

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 26, 2020, 03:02:35 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:24:43 AM
Some are getting around it by giving a relative's address here.

That's a really bad idea.

Do they not think their bank will notice that all their transactions are occuring in the EU.

At the point they notice, the bank is likely to shut the account down very quickly - with all the attendant issues that brings to the account holder

The fact of the matter is without an agreement on financial services, non EU banks will not be able to provide certain services in the EU.

As I mentioned some may have an EU entity that allows them to continue, but those that don't won't be able to.

That's what happens when your are a non-EU country.

Well this is all just too fecking bad isnt it?

Sharon in the netherlands where she has lived for two decades just has to get herself a dutch bank account , same as my brother in law in france has a french bank account where he has lived for the last twenty years.

Whats the big deal about closing an account with one bank and moving to another when gurus like martin lewis are telling people to do this every single day to find better banks , better accounts and better deals anyway?

Its simply another remainer whinge about nothing.

Uk banks and ex pats just have to adapt to brexit and the new world post December 31st.

Brexit is happeneing at the end of the year , and some auld bird whingeing in the netherlands or lloyds whingeing about the eu market isnt going to change a thing.

Time for all to roll up their sleeves and get on with adapting to the new post eu world , instead of carrying on crying about the past.

13 weeks five days to go and counting.

BeElBeeBub

That's a really bad idea.

Do they not think their bank will notice that all their transactions are occuring in the EU.

At the point they notice, the bank is likely to shut the account down very quickly - with all the attendant issues that brings to the account holder

The fact of the matter is without an agreement on financial services, non EU banks will not be able to provide certain services in the EU.

As I mentioned some may have an EU entity that allows them to continue, but those that don't won't be able to.

That's what happens when your are a non-EU country.

papasmurf

"Getting around it," can end in tears.
Especially when proof of residence is required. I had to prove I was not living in France last year and that requires documentary evidence with your name on it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Sheepy

Oh dear me, its a disaster, well open one up elsewhere then there are plenty of bankers queueing up to control your finances.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry on September 25, 2020, 10:24:21 PM
It must be down to interpretation of the rules, as Lloyds are closing ex-pat accounts, Santander and HSBC are not. She needs to switch banks quickly, before 31st December.
Or, of course, open an account in Holland.
There are quite a few online accounts which could help her and services such as CurrencyFair would be a great help to her.
I don't think it's interpretation as such (as in it's unclear). It's a simple matter of EU banking regulations that nonEU banks (as UK registered banks now are) are not allowed to offer certain services within the EU.

Many banks have set up (or already have) operations in EU countries for this reason.

Santander is a Spanish bank to begin with.

Some banks are moving their UK in EU customers accounts over to the EU "branches" so, from a customer perspective, there is no change. In reality they will be with a different bank, just one that is branded the same as their old one.

Some UK banks are (for whatever reason) not doing this and closing the accounts instead.

A the considerable upsides