The Folly of Blaming the EU For Everything - as Told by Bojo

Started by Dynamis, September 27, 2020, 03:45:29 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on October 04, 2020, 09:12:32 AM
evidence please.

He asked 3 people what they thought in a survey, one was him the other his wife and the third the postman.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on October 04, 2020, 09:13:05 AM
totally agree borkie.

He's completely correct.

I think we have to try to negate our own biases as much as possible though, which isn't easy but I think I try to,mostly anyway.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on October 04, 2020, 09:05:55 AM
This is so Tommy, although a lot of old men merely shuffle down to the supermarket, read the Alex cartoon in the Daily Telegraph, glance at the headlines to see if anyone has declared World War III, put the newspapers back on the shelf, buy the cream for the morning coffee and then creak back home.

There does seem to be this odd assumption that everyone is influenced by the media except themselves. I think the point about political bumph is not so much that they influence the voters as that the politicians love them. Trump, Biden, Johnson, Starmer, Ramaphosa etc are probably aware that the moment their faces appear on the telly we put the kettle on and change channels. But they can't help themselves, they just love seeing their faces all over the media. And the media love them because politicians are cheap copy. And come election day most of us will ignore all the propaganda and obeying our gut instinct, think well, so and so is a silly looking bastard but the best of a poor field and vote accordingly.

totally agree borkie.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 04, 2020, 09:05:55 AM
And come election day most of us will ignore all the propaganda

That does not seem to have happened in Britain in recent years.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on October 04, 2020, 08:43:11 AM
I agree with what you are saying here dyno , but i keep repeating that im not sure why people such as yourself give newspapers the credibility you seem to think they have of controlling peoples thought processes?

The once mighty power of the print media is extremely weak , their sales have fallen off a cliff over the last decade or so , and generally its only old men walking down the shop to get one in the early morning who actually read them.

....and those old men by and large are increasingly becoming silver surfers themselves , and gradually abandoning the very self same newspapers as they get more and more info off the interwebby?

This is so Tommy, although a lot of old men merely shuffle down to the supermarket, read the Alex cartoon in the Daily Telegraph, glance at the headlines to see if anyone has declared World War III, put the newspapers back on the shelf, buy the cream for the morning coffee and then creak back home.

There does seem to be this odd assumption that everyone is influenced by the media except themselves. I think the point about political bumph is not so much that they influence the voters as that the politicians love them. Trump, Biden, Johnson, Starmer, Ramaphosa etc are probably aware that the moment their faces appear on the telly we put the kettle on and change channels. But they can't help themselves, they just love seeing their faces all over the media. And the media love them because politicians are cheap copy. And come election day most of us will ignore all the propaganda and obeying our gut instinct, think well, so and so is a silly looking bastard but the best of a poor field and vote accordingly.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on October 04, 2020, 08:01:50 AM
This is the kind of crap the media bombards us with.

Daily Mail sister newspaper mocked for blaming the EU for Boris Johnson contracting a coronavirus

https://exbulletin.com/politics/41357/?Insurance&HealthCare

Barnier gave Bojo COVID-19. FFS.

It's a joke...

You see, in Merseyside they had the right idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-liverpool-sun-boycott-merseyside-hillsborough-disaster-a9081331.html%3famp

I agree with what you are saying here dyno , but i keep repeating that im not sure why people such as yourself give newspapers the credibility you seem to think they have of controlling peoples thought processes?

The once mighty power of the print media is extremely weak , their sales have fallen off a cliff over the last decade or so , and generally its only old men walking down the shop to get one in the early morning who actually read them.

....and those old men by and large are increasingly becoming silver surfers themselves , and gradually abandoning the very self same newspapers as they get more and more info off the interwebby?

Borg Refinery

This is the kind of crap the media bombards us with.

Daily Mail sister newspaper mocked for blaming the EU for Boris Johnson contracting a coronavirus

https://exbulletin.com/politics/41357/?Insurance&HealthCare

Barnier gave Bojo COVID-19. FFS.

It's a joke...

You see, in Merseyside they had the right idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-liverpool-sun-boycott-merseyside-hillsborough-disaster-a9081331.html%3famp
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 28, 2020, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 27, 2020, 10:58:47 PM
"Die for the DOW" as they say in the USA. Sacrifice those ungrateful pensioners who are a burden.

Hey, the young will be old one day and we can sacrifice them too so the Upper Crust can save even more dosh and live to 110 or something, whereas those in poor care homes ought to die off...

But tbf Dynamics, if the Dow, the FTSE etc go on their arse, who suffers? People think it doesn't affect them, but pensioners are the ones who benefit most from speculative stock markets, since their pensions are mostly invested in it, whether they realise it or not. So what then? Let the stock markets go to hell, and in a year's time when financial markets can't support their pensions anymore, you'll come.on and tell them to shut the feck up, this was the price you had to pay for a zero risk policy on CV19?

Problem is, everyone elses pension will be fecked by then too. So the 25 year old whose just lost his job not only has no present, he has no fecking future either.

It's not an 'either or', we could protect both with some decent governance, but as usual... no such luck from this pile of junk in parliament.

Did you see this...

https://pol-tics.com/index.php/topic,1844.0.html
+++

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 28, 2020, 12:05:10 PM
I do oppose euthanasia (and abortion without good cause). Those 10,000 deaths were from natural causes.
Which as I said were euthanasia albeit in a haphazard sort of way where a policy of herd immunity or a case of well they probably would have died in 18 months to two years anyway......large numbers but where individuals are denied that choice.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

I do oppose euthanasia (and abortion without good cause). Those 10,000 deaths were from natural causes.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 28, 2020, 11:22:07 AM
Quote from: cromwell on September 27, 2020, 10:43:51 PMOK so if I proposed a law that said in the event I or anyone else who wanted to avoid the worse of dementia (and yes I would)  or certain other conditions which made me a burden on my family I would be entitled in law to euthanasia and a point of my choice would you back that?
Not sure. I'd probably want to ask the European Court if it was lawful.
I know what you are trying to do, though. You are trying to turn my observation that over 10,000 natural deaths were likely a release, into an accusation that i would euthanise them. Which I would not.
On the contrary I wasn't,what I was trying to do though was look at your 10000 deaths,past observations on herd immunity and that many would have died in the next 18 months to two years anyway.

No Im fairly confident that you oppose euthanasia (correct me if I'm wrong) but that all those deaths would in that case be some haphazard perhaps unthinking form of euthanasia.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on September 27, 2020, 10:43:51 PMOK so if I proposed a law that said in the event I or anyone else who wanted to avoid the worse of dementia (and yes I would)  or certain other conditions which made me a burden on my family I would be entitled in law to euthanasia and a point of my choice would you back that?
Not sure. I'd probably want to ask the European Court if it was lawful.
I know what you are trying to do, though. You are trying to turn my observation that over 10,000 natural deaths were likely a release, into an accusation that i would euthanise them. Which I would not.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

^^^^ Does he have a pregnant girlfriend as well, hence another two lives fecked up? She could be having twins that makes 4.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on September 27, 2020, 10:58:47 PM
"Die for the DOW" as they say in the USA. Sacrifice those ungrateful pensioners who are a burden.

Hey, the young will be old one day and we can sacrifice them too so the Upper Crust can save even more dosh and live to 110 or something, whereas those in poor care homes ought to die off...

But tbf Dynamics, if the Dow, the FTSE etc go on their arse, who suffers? People think it doesn't affect them, but pensioners are the ones who benefit most from speculative stock markets, since their pensions are mostly invested in it, whether they realise it or not. So what then? Let the stock markets go to hell, and in a year's time when financial markets can't support their pensions anymore, you'll come.on and tell them to shut the feck up, this was the price you had to pay for a zero risk policy on CV19?

Problem is, everyone elses pension will be fecked by then too. So the 25 year old whose just lost his job not only has no present, he has no fecking future either.