Why does God let it happen?

Started by T00ts, September 28, 2020, 11:27:57 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 12:07:22 PM
Leviathans and behemoths are mentioned.

And how do you get your timeline? Is it reliable?

This is true - I had forgotten that. A good point!

Barry

Quote from: Nick on October 21, 2020, 11:48:19 AM
If you want the Evolution debate I am more than happy to lock horns on that. Let's start with why a species that roamed the earth for 165 million years doesn't get a mention anywhere?
Leviathans and behemoths are mentioned.

And how do you get your timeline? Is it reliable?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 21, 2020, 11:48:19 AM
You know Barry, I%u2019d never troll anyone. If I%u2019ve got something to say I%u2019ll say it, don%u2019t need to hide behind anything.

If you want the Evolution debate I am more than happy to lock horns on that. Let%u2019s start with why a species that roamed the earth for 165 million years doesn%u2019t get a mention anywhere?

I hope you don't mind if I but in. That's a lovely question. The history that we have has been translated from scrolls, plates etc but they have one thing in common. They are all written by man. In some cases the stories will have been handed down in others they are personal experiences. Do dinosaurs etc feature in man's experience?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 11:36:07 AM
I know you are sating what you believe, but there's no talk of evolution in Genesis. You must get your ideas from somewhere, but it is not scripture, if you bellieve the evolution lie.No magic wand required. God spoke everything into existence.

By the way, I thought Nick's idea that Jesus was violent, (implying He was wrong), and that he was "told off" by one of his disciples, (of which there is no record) was a bit of trolling, but I'd never accuse an administrator of such a thing.  ;D ;D

I disagree. Genesis describes quite accurately that the world evolved. The 7 days of course is a stretch but my understanding is that God's time is not the same as ours. But you can see quite clearly that the world grew through different stages. For me this does not preclude the scientific proof of dinosaurs etc since I do believe that God created the world with all its buried treasure and all its layers for our use. If we believe in eternal life then we see that there is no beginning or end which for me suggests that the growth of the earth probably did take millions of years.

I totally agree that God spoke everything into existence, but it was a process which I believe Genesis conveys. For me there is little conflict between faith and science except that science is actually on the way to proving that there is a God. In any case all will be revealed at the second coming. I just hope we are all prepared.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 11:36:07 AM
I know you are sating what you believe, but there's no talk of evolution in Genesis. You must get your ideas from somewhere, but it is not scripture, if you bellieve the evolution lie.No magic wand required. God spoke everything into existence.

By the way, I thought Nick's idea that Jesus was violent, (implying He was wrong), and that he was "told off" by one of his disciples, (of which there is no record) was a bit of trolling, but I'd never accuse an administrator of such a thing.  ;D ;D

You know Barry, I'd never troll anyone. If I've got something to say I'll say it, don't need to hide behind anything.

If you want the Evolution debate I am more than happy to lock horns on that. Let's start with why a species that roamed the earth for 165 million years doesn't get a mention anywhere?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 09:58:23 AM
Thank you I will look. I don't know if your suggestion is prompted by a thought that I would contest science. I don't at all. I believe in evolution in that God created the universe and this earth within it and evolved it to make it fit for us to live on.
I know you are sating what you believe, but there's no talk of evolution in Genesis. You must get your ideas from somewhere, but it is not scripture, if you bellieve the evolution lie.
QuoteI also recognise that science is gradually catching up with the scriptures as they discover more and more detail. I also understand that God doesn't simply wave a magic wand through the clouds but creates earthly conditions to facilitate the prophesies which are so clearly written.
No magic wand required. God spoke everything into existence.

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 21, 2020, 09:48:37 AM
Can I point you towards books by Immanuel Velikovsky. He was a scientist who wrote books explaining historical events through science, he covered many biblical events, including the Exodus.

Thank you I will look. I don't know if your suggestion is prompted by a thought that I would contest science. I don't at all. I believe in evolution in that God created the universe and this earth within it and evolved it to make it fit for us to live on. I also recognise that science is gradually catching up with the scriptures as they discover more and more detail. I also understand that God doesn't simply wave a magic wand through the clouds but creates earthly conditions to facilitate the prophesies which are so clearly written.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 09:05:34 AM
To follow up on the above post as promised.

I didn't find any reference to James - Jesus brother - calling Jesus out for violence and hypocrisy so if anyone can direct me to that I would be grateful.
However this particular article with it's many references to the New Testament I find quite saddening in places. I won't go into a long analysis unless anyone requests it, and the author's premise that Jesus was not a pacifist is valid. What I would argue is that he knew not only that He was the Son of God but also exactly in detail how HIs time on earth would pan out and He also knew how the future would look and the difficulty of the battle with the adversary which would set people against one another as they took sides. With that in mind and taking the Bible refs back into context unfortunately on occasion the author's analysis is quite a long way off the mark but more of that if requested.

I do wonder if we took any book and extracted odd sentences from it whether we would end up with a completely different story. The temptation to take Scripture verses in isolation to support a theory is not a new trick but it changes the story and removes the truth.

Can I point you towards books by Immanuel Velikovsky. He was a scientist who wrote books explaining historical events through science, he covered many biblical events, including the Exodus.

T00ts

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2020, 11:18:58 PM
On first reading of the article we have a classic case of taking single verses and making 2+2 =10. It has to be taken in context so it will take me some time to go through all the refs and it's getting late for my brain. I will enjoy this challenge and will come back on it asap. :)

To follow up on the above post as promised.

I didn't find any reference to James - Jesus brother - calling Jesus out for violence and hypocrisy so if anyone can direct me to that I would be grateful.
However this particular article with it's many references to the New Testament I find quite saddening in places. I won't go into a long analysis unless anyone requests it, and the author's premise that Jesus was not a pacifist is valid. What I would argue is that he knew not only that He was the Son of God but also exactly in detail how HIs time on earth would pan out and He also knew how the future would look and the difficulty of the battle with the adversary which would set people against one another as they took sides. With that in mind and taking the Bible refs back into context unfortunately on occasion the author's analysis is quite a long way off the mark but more of that if requested.

I do wonder if we took any book and extracted odd sentences from it whether we would end up with a completely different story. The temptation to take Scripture verses in isolation to support a theory is not a new trick but it changes the story and removes the truth.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2020, 11:18:58 PM
On first reading of the article we have a classic case of taking single verses and making 2+2 =10. It has to be taken in context so it will take me some time to go through all the refs and it's getting late for my brain. I will enjoy this challenge and will come back on it asap. :)

No challenge, I have no agenda but I appreciate you looking at it.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2020, 11:02:17 PM
This is not the exact story I heard, I think on a TV program, but the heading lines up with the story.

https://baptistnews.com/article/jesus-the-man-of-violence/#.X49co6R4UlQ

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2020, 10:38:16 PMUnless you can point me to somewhere else I believe the only time He lost his temper was when he saw money lenders defiling the Temple.

This is not the exact story I heard, I think on a TV program, but the heading lines up with the story.

https://baptistnews.com/article/jesus-the-man-of-violence/#.X49co6R4UlQ

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2020, 10:38:16 PMBecause of this you expect me to deny everything about my faith?

I'm not expecting anything, your faith is entirely yours to have and cherish. I'm not in the business of trying to change peoples beliefs, gave up on that a loooooong time ago. Will look for the reference though.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2020, 10:02:42 PM
Jesus used to go around beating people if they didn't listen to his teachings I believe. It was his Brother James that questioned his methods and pointed out the hypocrisy.

Unless you can point me to somewhere else I believe the only time He lost his temper was when he saw money lenders defiling the Temple. The Temple should have been a holy place, a place completely without sin, a place of prayer and He saw that  it wasn't. It therefore was not worthy of His Father, or worthy for His Father to enter. He was mad and threw them out.

Because of this you expect me to deny everything about my faith? That's unreasonable. Because you don't understand the significance of Jewish Temples, you make a judgement based on earthly man's arguments, but this supersedes our arguments or understanding. It should be enough that the Son of God acted in the name of His Father with His Father's blessing.

Perhaps you could show me the ref to James' admonishment, I can't find one but I will happily study it.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 18, 2020, 02:07:53 PMJesus teaches love and forgiveness.

Jesus used to go around beating people if they didn't listen to his teachings I believe. It was his Brother James that questioned his methods and pointed out the hypocrisy.