What you need to know about Brexit

Started by Sheepy, September 30, 2020, 11:43:34 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: Dynamis on October 03, 2020, 03:16:06 AM
Btw, an alternative to the Bloomberg link: https://m.dw.com/en/will-brexit-pollsters-again-help-hedge-funds-make-millions/a-49518827

..Clearly outlines that those non-working hypocrite less-than-street-hussies-cum-Brexit 'firm' 'bad bhoys' leeching off of the EU and others' pensions are hypocritical super-pathetic can'ts pretending to be all working clarse and down with the werkers, while playing golf and no doubt bricking it at the thought of everything coming on top if/when their links with Bojo/Trump/alt-right/Russians etc come to light... Say hello to the slammer Mr Fromage and several of your street rat beggers..

Just shows they are smarter with their money than most.
Nothing wrong with a hedge fund.
It's smart thing to do.

All your eggs in one basket is a good way to go broke.

I don't Boris and Mogg can be accused to pretending to be working class.
That's Labours trick.

Cameron and Osborne were clearly ashamed of being toff's.
Mogg and Boris seem quite comfortable in their own skins. Which is a much better look.

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on October 03, 2020, 01:38:18 PM
https://newsthump.com/2020/09/11/bbc-replaces-nichola-sturgeons-pandemic-briefings-with-jamie-oliver-making-curried-haggis/

Well,the rabid Tories certainly do survive on the handouts from Scotland as a net contributor, but there you go, best downplay it to attack others as the aul hpbby horse dictates..

Eh?

Sure i have pointed out scotland is a net contributor to the uk many a time , and whoever is in control of westminster.

Thats not what im saying above though dyno is it?

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

https://newsthump.com/2020/09/11/bbc-replaces-nichola-sturgeons-pandemic-briefings-with-jamie-oliver-making-curried-haggis/

Well,the rabid Tories certainly do survive on the handouts from Scotland as a net contributor, but there you go, best downplay it to attack others as the aul hpbby horse dictates..
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 02, 2020, 11:52:28 PM
. Its always someone else's fault and can I have some more money as I've spent it all . (or given it away ,but thats another story )

Well said mate.

This should be the labour party motto. This is what they have lived off the back of for the last century........blame the tories for everything , then live off the back of the anti tory vote wether or not they are any good themselves.

That and the tribalistic vote labour cause my dad used to vote them.

There was a forum poster on one of the scottish sites i go on who rymed off a long bitter history of what the labour party had done to scotland over the years when someone was on there bleating about the tories.

When you think about the 1979 devolution referendum stitch up , stealing 6000 miles of scottish water and all the rest , he made a convincing argument that labour had done far worse to scotland than the tories ever have.

As someone once said to me , labour need poverty to survive. Without poverty , the parties who reason for existence dies away , thats why every where they get into power , they turn into a shithole and drag it into the gutter.

Borg Refinery

Btw, an alternative to the Bloomberg link: https://m.dw.com/en/will-brexit-pollsters-again-help-hedge-funds-make-millions/a-49518827

..Clearly outlines that those non-working hypocrite less-than-street-hussies-cum-Brexit 'firm' 'bad bhoys' leeching off of the EU and others' pensions are hypocritical super-pathetic can'ts pretending to be all working clarse and down with the werkers, while playing golf and no doubt bricking it at the thought of everything coming on top if/when their links with Bojo/Trump/alt-right/Russians etc come to light... Say hello to the slammer Mr Fromage and several of your street rat beggers..
+++

Borg Refinery

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/business-economics/these-are-the-companies-profiting-from-the-covid-economic-collapse/29/04/

ITV's Robert Peston remarked on "the hedge-fund culture that has taken hold at the centre of government," noting that ex-Chancellor Sajid Javid's replacement, the Brexiteer Rishi Sunak, had worked for the hedge funders, Sir Christopher Hohn and Patrick Degorce. Hohn and Degorce's benign-sounding Children's Investment Fund (CIF), for which Sunak worked in the late-2000s, was known as an "activist-investor," exemplified by its buying stock in the troubled US railroad firm CSX. Sunak was a CIF junior partner at the time of the CSX controversy.

When CIF split, Sunak and investment partner John Sheridan went to work for Degorce's Thélème Partners, which invested in Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and in the US hospital group, Community Health Systems. Sunak and his wife then set up Catamaran Ventures. When the COVID crisis struck, Sunak asked his former hedge fund partner Sheridan for advice on the government's £330bn stimulus package, which most small and medium-sized businesses have been unable to access. Bloomberg reports: "Treasury officials were asked to pass publicly available information to Sheridan so he could build a financial model for the government's business loan program."

More generally, the Telegraph reports that hedge funds "have prospered from big bets against British shares." By early-March, they had started "dividing the spoils of a brutal week in financial markets." As European countries banned short-selling, the Tories allowed it to continue. BlackRock, which is now advising the US Federal Reserve and is advised by former Tory Chancellor George Osborne, has profited from shorting UK businesses, as has JPMorgan Asset Management. Despite requests from the Bank of England not to short British stocks, hedge funders Marshall Wace and Crispin Odey betted against British companies, including the very company contracted by the government to manufacture personal protective equipment (the fashion designer/producer Burberry). The Marshall Wace fund also betted against EasyJet, WizzAir, and the Weir Group. Odey Asset Management reportedly made £115m from the recent stock market crash.

Peston: Bojo's "hedge fund" govt

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-17/robert-peston-boris-johnson-s-hedge-fund-government

+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on October 02, 2020, 08:52:00 PM
I don't understand why it is wrong for people to make money.

That was never my suggestion in any way, my suggestion based on the link was that others illegally (or perhaps borderline illegally) profited from privileged insider info that the public did not have access to.

I find this to be very, very wrong.

Quoteperhaps there is a reasonable argument there but it looks as though it is dated 2018 so with hindsight perhaps with the economic problems now it was a good move for future pensions.

Primarily it seems pension funds were not part of it.

QuoteMy other concern with the above relates to a bit of advice that I was once given when I had my business and it stood me in good stead. That was - don't seek advice from those less successful than yourself. If we have successful people in government we are likely to be better led than we might be by some who have never done it and have no clue.

So we should listen to corrupt businessmen with a pretty bad record - as it goes - who don't practice what they preach and whom profit from insider info because presumably some on Corbyn's bench never ran a business? That's not much of an argument.

I mean Sajid was one of their most successful high fliers and even he was part of Deutsche Bank during the scandal years, yet they cut him...

Let's 'dig the cr°p' on Rishi Sumac then...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/da662f74-5a25-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

As the new chancellor prepares for his first Budget since his sudden elevation on March 11, allies and opponents are also wondering about the 39-year-old's decade working in the financial sector — first at Goldman Sachs and then at hedge funds TCI and its spin off Theleme Partners.

Mr Sunak joined TCI, a London-based activist fund founded by billionaire Chris Hohn, in 2006. The firm is famed for its aggressive and controversial campaign at ABN Amro in 2007 that led to the Dutch bank's sale to Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander and Fortis.

The deal to buy ABN Amro was seen as a key factor behind RBS's downfall during the financial crisis, when it was only saved from collapse by a £45.5bn bailout from the UK government. As chancellor he will now be in charge of the body that owns the government's RBS shares.

Then they add he "was not involved in that", er yeah, that's surefire proof...

Further on..

He worked under Snehal Amin, another former Goldman Sachs banker, and covered US stocks, scouring sectors such as railways and media, according to former colleagues.
In 2009 Mr Sunak left TCI to join Theleme Partners, set up by former TCI manager Patrick Degorce. In a letter to Mr Sunak this month, the shadow chancellor John McDonnell raised questions over the ABN Amro deal and his connections to Mr Degorce, who was involved in the controversial Goldcrest tax avoidance scheme.

"Some may judge that your approach to the tax avoidance of close associates, and the use of tax havens by the companies mentioned above seems at best casual and at worst negligent," Mr McDonnell said in his letter, seen by the FT.

Mr Degorce was ordered to pay back about £8m in tax after a tribunal found in 2013 that he had attempted to shelter millions of pounds in tax. HM Revenue & Customs alleged Mr Degorce sought to offset profits by buying film rights for artificially inflated figures, generating losses which would then reduce his tax burden.

Another 'clarifier' after that... "he had nothing to do with.." echoed by Treasury officials.

Nice. Seeing a pattern here. 😋

Let's not get started on Goldman Sachs now..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldman_Sachs_controversies

+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: Baff on October 02, 2020, 04:32:47 PM
I'm quite comfortable with Boris.
He was EU correspondent before he got into politics.

He has always had a good eye for international politics.
Classically educated in the ways of empires.

He knows the arguements. Gets it.
Understands why we wished to leave and what advantaged we can gain from doing so.

He is also married to it politically. His rise to power came on the back of it. (Although I think he was going to get there anyway).

I still think he could sell us out and Farage would have been an excellent choice too.
And even though I trust Farage more.... there are things that Farage would do that I would consider a sell out too. If we delve deep enough into the detail we will eventually find divergence between anyone.
If Brexit had been politically contentious they could have devolved it to Farage. Made him EU Tzar and removed  ny blowback against the main parties.
But it isn't and Boris is married to it.
And frankly it's the only thing he's got that is uncontentious at this point.

Anytime he stands up to the EU, the public will back him.
On other issues... same old same old.

I haven't been happy with Johnson ,he's a Tory after all  and if he is that clever why did he sign that awful WA ?  But he is all we have got and we have to back him until the new year at least and see where we are .

Im expecting one more big play from the remain camp before the sun sets so hold on to your horses !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on October 02, 2020, 03:28:38 PM
Member when your man saddo khan insinuated the snp and wider yes movement of being racist?
Racism seems to be something the labour party bandy about on a regular basis streetwalker to all and sundry.

Yes the labour party in particular do have a 'thing' about racism . It must be something they learn in the early days of joining the party as they know its a charge that can be attached to anything that's British , Nationalistic or anti immigration .(among other things)

Labour the party that boasted they would rub the rights noses in diversity should be getting their own house in order before looking at others .

As for Sad Kant  what can we say ?  Done nothing for anyone , ever . Its always someone else's fault and can I have some more money as I've spent it all . (or given it away ,but thats another story )

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 02, 2020, 08:52:00 PM
I don't understand why it is wrong for people to make money. Many pensions invest in hedge funds so they are going to make every effort. Btw I couldn't get into the link perhaps there is a reasonable argument there but it looks as though it is dated 2018 so with hindsight perhaps with the economic problems now it was a good move for future pensions.

My other concern with the above relates to a bit of advice that I was once given when I had my business and it stood me in good stead. That was - don't seek advice from those less successful than yourself. If we have successful people in government we are likely to be better led than we might be by some who have never done it and have no clue.
Well if I was them after begging for access to the network, which they received, I wouldn't be letting us down. It might make their Chinese flu problems look like a walk in the park.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on October 02, 2020, 08:36:11 PM
The fact is, Brexit won't improve anything with the way these incompetents are negotiating things. The only argument in its favour is eliminating one scapegoat for Westmonster (the EU) and attaining more 'freedom' which can then be given to rabid ^^nt billionaires and their sycophants instead, who back everything they do - they have made an enormous hash of this and that's a fact. It's barfsome indeed. The Brexit speculator types seem to be backed to the hilt by the sycophantic street urchins and others who will never see a million pounds in their account, or probably even £100k..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-25/brexit-big-short-how-pollsters-helped-hedge-funds-beat-the-crash

I don't mind anti EU rhetoric from the likes of Varoufakis and others, but not those lying charlatans with their tainted whites not coming out clean..

I don't understand why it is wrong for people to make money. Many pensions invest in hedge funds so they are going to make every effort. Btw I couldn't get into the link perhaps there is a reasonable argument there but it looks as though it is dated 2018 so with hindsight perhaps with the economic problems now it was a good move for future pensions.

My other concern with the above relates to a bit of advice that I was once given when I had my business and it stood me in good stead. That was - don't seek advice from those less successful than yourself. If we have successful people in government we are likely to be better led than we might be by some who have never done it and have no clue.

Borg Refinery

The fact is, Brexit won't improve anything with the way these incompetents are negotiating things. The only argument in its favour is eliminating one scapegoat for Westmonster (the EU) and attaining more 'freedom' which can then be given to rabid ^^nt billionaires and their sycophants instead, who back everything they do - they have made an enormous hash of this and that's a fact. It's barfsome indeed. The Brexit speculator types seem to be backed to the hilt by the sycophantic street urchins and others who will never see a million pounds in their account, or probably even £100k..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-25/brexit-big-short-how-pollsters-helped-hedge-funds-beat-the-crash

I don't mind anti EU rhetoric from the likes of Varoufakis and others, but not those lying charlatans with their tainted whites not coming out clean..
+++

Baff

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 02, 2020, 11:06:22 AM
Well he should certainly have been in the Brexit team somewhere . Who better to sit at the table than someone that the EU knows  , he knows ?   There would be no pulling the wool over his eyes .

I'm quite comfortable with Boris.
He was EU correspondent before he got into politics.

He has always had a good eye for international politics.
Classically educated in the ways of empires.

He knows the arguements. Gets it.
Understands why we wished to leave and what advantaged we can gain from doing so.

He is also married to it politically. His rise to power came on the back of it. (Although I think he was going to get there anyway).

I still think he could sell us out and Farage would have been an excellent choice too.
And even though I trust Farage more.... there are things that Farage would do that I would consider a sell out too. If we delve deep enough into the detail we will eventually find divergence between anyone.
If Brexit had been politically contentious they could have devolved it to Farage. Made him EU Tzar and removed  ny blowback against the main parties.
But it isn't and Boris is married to it.
And frankly it's the only thing he's got that is uncontentious at this point.

Anytime he stands up to the EU, the public will back him.
On other issues... same old same old.

Baff

Quote from: Sheepy on September 30, 2020, 03:18:31 PM
Well you can eat fish, you can't eat figures on a screen, just a thought.
Tell that to PACMAN.

Thomas

Member when your man saddo khan insinuated the snp and wider yes movement of being racist?

Racism seems to be something the labour party bandy about on a regular basis streetwalker to all and sundry.