Are we bovvered?

Started by T00ts, October 01, 2020, 11:58:26 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 02:50:27 PM
I read somewhere that we had offered 2/3 years transition for those fishing in our waters to get used to the idea rather than flushing them down an oceanic plughole on New Years Day.

Good idea. Sea fishing is in decline and as far as the UK is concerned it probably won't matter in a few years. National pride means that we have to make a fuss, but it is really about finding Barnier and Co a face saving way to wrap up the negotiations.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 01, 2020, 02:43:45 PM
That is right Toots. Brussels is keeping the threats pretty low key because they can't enforce them and Boris is not responding because he is merely a shadow of his former self, but if he had any sense left he would wrap himself in a Union Jack and make a tremendous fuss over a few bags of fish and chips, which is what the current nonsense is about.

I read somewhere that we had offered 2/3 years transition for those fishing in our waters to get used to the idea rather than flushing them down an oceanic plughole on New Years Day.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 02:21:11 PM
Haven't there been cases of other countries being taken to task for other minor offences and the EU Commission blows a lot of hot air and letters and then forgets all about it? I think massive fines were threatened there too, I suppose the money grabbing incentives are running pretty high at present.

That is right Toots. Brussels is keeping the threats pretty low key because they can't enforce them and Boris is not responding because he is merely a shadow of his former self, but if he had any sense left he would wrap himself in a Union Jack and make a tremendous fuss over a few bags of fish and chips, which is what the current nonsense is about.
Algerie Francais !

Javert

Quote from: GerryT on October 01, 2020, 01:31:26 PMBut in saying that, the IM Bill doesn't technically break the WA Treaty, it is a vehicle to allow the UK to break the treaty. It remains to be seen what the EU is saying to the UK and what proceedings it is starting. I'm sure trade talks will continue in parallel, until the UK pulls out of those on the 15th Oct, that's 2 weeks time a a red line for Johnson, he said if a deal wasn't reached by then the UK will walk

Well that could be debatable - the treaty contains some comments about the parties acting in good faith, and passing a law which is deliberately designed to allow one party to break the treaty is arguably not in good faith.

A lot of this is pure posturing because I think they have put something in that means there will be a further vote before this particular part can be used - which then begs the question, why does it need to be in the bill now anyway?

That's even aside of the question that is the circumstances for this to be needed are only going to happen in January and only in an "emergency" situation, why do we need to pass a law about it now?

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 01, 2020, 02:17:49 PM
Dunno Toots. Hopefully it will go before an unbiased UK court that will do as it is damn well told.

Anyway, folk are still making a fuss over the Chinese flu so I dare say that Boris will take the Irish option and tell Brussels to get stuffed

Haven't there been cases of other countries being taken to task for other minor offences and the EU Commission blows a lot of hot air and letters and then forgets all about it? I think massive fines were threatened there too, I suppose the money grabbing incentives are running pretty high at present.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 02:02:43 PM
If it goes to a court will it go to the totally unbiased/non partisan European Court?

Dunno Toots. Hopefully it will go before an unbiased UK court that will do as it is damn well told.

Anyway, folk are still making a fuss over the Chinese flu so I dare say that Boris will take the Irish option and tell Brussels to get stuffed
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 01, 2020, 02:00:20 PM
Well that is us told.

What happens now? Does Brussels pop round to the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand and swear out a Winding Up Petition against UK PLC? Or will it be 65 million odd Bankruptcy Petitions because we are all deemed equally and severally liable? Dunno. Best leave this in the hands of Gerry who understands these matters.

Whatever, we can be sure that the EU's patience has tried for long enough and that stern justice will soon be wrought upon the British and their Plastic Paddy allies in Catford.

If it goes to a court will it go to the totally unbiased/non partisan European Court?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 11:58:26 AM
The deadline passed on 30 Sept 2020 and they told us to draw our horns in and not go ahead with the Internal Markets bill which is currently going through Parliament.

The EU is now starting proceedings and have sent No 10 a letter of notice. Oh dear!

Well that is us told.

What happens now? Does Brussels pop round to the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand and swear out a Winding Up Petition against UK PLC? Or will it be 65 million odd Bankruptcy Petitions because we are all deemed equally and severally liable? Dunno. Best leave this in the hands of Gerry who understands these matters.

Whatever, we can be sure that the EU's patience has tried for long enough and that stern justice will soon be wrought upon the British and their Plastic Paddy allies in Catford.

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2020, 11:58:26 AM
The deadline passed on 30 Sept 2020 and they told us to draw our horns in and not go ahead with the Internal Markets bill which is currently going through Parliament.

The EU is now starting proceedings and have sent No 10 a letter of notice. Oh dear!

What response were you expecting from the EU, is months since the WA international treaty was signed.

But in saying that, the IM Bill doesn't technically break the WA Treaty, it is a vehicle to allow the UK to break the treaty. It remains to be seen what the EU is saying to the UK and what proceedings it is starting. I'm sure trade talks will continue in parallel, until the UK pulls out of those on the 15th Oct, that's 2 weeks time a a red line for Johnson, he said if a deal wasn't reached by then the UK will walk

T00ts