It has happened again...

Started by Borchester, October 02, 2020, 01:04:54 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on October 02, 2020, 08:24:22 AM
A standard mars bar now costs 60p in my supermarket, and probably more in corner shops.

Mars and Marathon bars. Remember Topic bars too?

your employer still sells them,I read somewhere they'd been resurrected.........reminds me of the old joke based round the tv advert for topic
What's got a hazelnut in every bite?.................squirrel shit  :o
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253654103
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Pop round our house Borchester, we'll let you have one for 15p and still have made a profit, my boy.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 02, 2020, 08:17:42 AM
The week after decimalisation a small Cadbury dairy milk cost 1p having been 2 1/2 d the week before, and a large one 2p having been fivepence. Prices from the newsagents at which I had a paper round.  No idea what they are now. Mars and Marathon (now renamed snickers) are about 99p for three tiny bars in LIDL but all 3 together look smaller than the ones I munched on for a sugar high to keep going in the lab at 2am in the late 70s ...
A standard mars bar now costs 60p in my supermarket, and probably more in corner shops.

Mars and Marathon bars. Remember Topic bars too?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on October 02, 2020, 08:04:45 AM
Inflation, eh? Well 1959 was a bit before my time and it's not a cup of tea but I can remember as a very young lad in the very early 1970s buying a mars bar for 2 and a half pence.

The week after decimalisation a small Cadbury dairy milk cost 1p having been 2 1/2 d the week before, and a large one 2p having been fivepence. Prices from the newsagents at which I had a paper round.  No idea what they are now. Mars and Marathon (now renamed snickers) are about 99p for three tiny bars in LIDL but all 3 together look smaller than the ones I munched on for a sugar high to keep going in the lab at 2am in the late 70s ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2020, 07:59:15 AM
How times change, Back in 1959 a cup of tea from a hut on the Rye, High Wycombe cost 2 pence in old money.
Inflation, eh? Well 1959 was a bit before my time and it's not a cup of tea but I can remember as a very young lad in the very early 1970s buying a mars bar for 2 and a half pence.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

How times change, Back in 1959 a cup of tea from a hut on the Rye, High Wycombe cost 2 pence in old money.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Our factory has a burger van which is not a van but a very fixed to the floor now former portakabin on wheels where the production workforce can get their supply of junk food. I was a regular for the sausage baps (£1.25) and mug of tea (75p).

Some wetherspoons still do coffee for 99p.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

The old site canteens were always good for a cup of tea for half that .  Trouble was with the influx of foreign labour and them being non tea drinkers (or tight bastards ) the on site canteen became unviable and they have nearly all gone .

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 02, 2020, 01:04:54 AM

But it has to be said, is there anywhere these days that you can get a cup of tea for a pound?

Muckdonalds
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

The second time this year to be exact.

I was walking along the road and a chap came up and asked if I had the price of a cup of tea.

So I gave him a quid ($1.30) and he looked at it and asked if I could spare a little more. And I said that I could but was not going to and that he could always give the money back, whereupon he grumbled off and I continued on my way.

But it has to be said, is there anywhere these days that you can get a cup of tea for a pound?
Algerie Francais !