I feel as though I am in the middle of a maelstrom of shit advice..

Started by Borchester, October 03, 2020, 02:21:27 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Mod Notice

Several posts removed.
Please keep posts in good spirits, this is the General Chat forum.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borg Refinery

+++

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2020, 04:44:35 PM
I have just gotten a bill for £16,000.

I will get her a tub of Cabury's Roses which are currently on special offer at £3.50

wee joke fur ye borkie.

No sex tonight?

I never quite figured out why the sexual urge of men and women
differ so much. And I never have figured out the whole Venus and Mars
thing.

I have never figured out why men think with their head and women with
their heart.

FOR EXAMPLE
One evening last week, my girlfriend and I were getting into bed.
Well, the passion starts to heat up, and she eventually says "I
don't feel like it, I just want you to hold me."
I said "WHAT????!!! What was that?!" So she says the words that
every man on the planet dreads to hear...
"You're just not in touch with my emotional needs as a woman enough
for me to satisfy your physical needs as a man."
She responded to my puzzled look by saying, "Can't you just love me
for who I am and not what I do for you in the bedroom?"
Realizing that nothing was going to happen that night, I went to
sleep.

The very next day I opted to take the day off of work to spend time
with her. We went out to a nice lunch and then went shopping at a
big, big unnamed department store. I walked around with her while she tried
on several different very expensive outfits.

She couldn't decide which one to take so I told her we'll just buy
them all. She wanted new shoes to compliment her new clothes, so I
said lets get a pair for each outfit. We went onto the jewellery department
where she picked out a pair of diamond earrings.

Let me tell you...she was so excited. She must have thought I was
one wave short of a shipwreck. I started to think she was testing me
because she asked for a tennis bracelet when she doesn't even know how to play
tennis.
I think I threw her for a loop when I said, "That's fine, honey."
She was almost nearing sexual satisfaction from all of the
excitement.
Smiling with excited anticipation she finally said, "I think this
is all dear, let's go to the cashier."
I could hardly contain myself when I blurted out, "No honey, I don't
feel like it."
Her face just went completely blank as her jaw dropped with a
baffled
"WHAT???!!!" I then said, "Really honey! I just want you to HOLD
this stuff for a while. You're just not in touch with my financial
needs as a man enough for me to satisfy your shopping needs as a woman." And
just when she had this look like she was going to kill me, I added, "Why
can't you just love me for who I am and not for the things I buy you?"

Apparently I'm not having sex tonight either.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2020, 04:31:43 PM
So would a bucket of alcohol.

I have just gotten a bill for £16,000.

I will get her a tub of Cabury's Roses which are currently on special offer at £3.50
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on October 03, 2020, 04:18:23 PM
The risk of buying ex-local authority property has been laid bare by a leaseholder on the Gilesmead estate in Camberwell who claims she has had to pay more than £24,000 for a new heating system and £2,000 to have her door painted.

Leaseholders on the Tustin estate in Peckham, also owned by Southwark council, had received bills of £146,000 for regeneration of the whole estate. Those struggling to pay the amount — which is more than five times the average UK salary — the council offered an interest-free loan over 72 months, or to buy back the property.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/feb/08/leaseholders-facing-staggering-bills-for-ex-council-flats

Buying leasehold homes is risky — though sometimes there is the chance of eventually buying the freehold. Well known house builders also operate a leasehold scam. Initial charges are reasonable for a couple of years, then the leases are marketed as money spinners and sold on to other companies, which immediately start to maximise returns.

In some circumstances, renting could ultimately work out cheaper...

Thanks Pat.

We have been lease holders for over 30 years so I reckon it is a bit late to think about renting. I have read some wonderous stories about folk who exercised their right to buy and usually they hinged on the mega bucks the tenants made when they sold the property on to Chinese billionaires for the purpose of money laundering. I have yet to read a story about a couple who ended up paying a mortgage that was more than twice their rent, but did mean that they could tell the council to shove it where the sun does not shine should the need arise.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 03, 2020, 04:29:54 PM
I think it might cost a bouquet of flowers, Borchester. That's always a good start.

So would a bucket of alcohol.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

I think it might cost a bouquet of flowers, Borchester. That's always a good start.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2020, 03:37:31 PM
We are leaseholders and the Council retains the freehold. So every decade the borough pitches up and asks us to contribute to the cost of stopping the place falling into the street.

Councils are experts at taking the piss in these situation. (Including ignoring the law.)

Have you a lease holders association?

You also probably know this off by heart:-

https://www.gov.uk/leasehold-property/service-charges-and-other-expenses

This may be of use.

https://www.lease-advice.org/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

The risk of buying ex-local authority property has been laid bare by a leaseholder on the Gilesmead estate in Camberwell who claims she has had to pay more than £24,000 for a new heating system and £2,000 to have her door painted.

Leaseholders on the Tustin estate in Peckham, also owned by Southwark council, had received bills of £146,000 for regeneration of the whole estate. Those struggling to pay the amount — which is more than five times the average UK salary — the council offered an interest-free loan over 72 months, or to buy back the property.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/feb/08/leaseholders-facing-staggering-bills-for-ex-council-flats

Buying leasehold homes is risky — though sometimes there is the chance of eventually buying the freehold. Well known house builders also operate a leasehold scam. Initial charges are reasonable for a couple of years, then the leases are marketed as money spinners and sold on to other companies, which immediately start to maximise returns.

In some circumstances, renting could ultimately work out cheaper...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2020, 03:58:58 PM
All true Toots and I have picked up a couple of points of law that might save us a thousand or so, plus an example of cackhanded draftsmanship that should save even more. I may have missed it the first time and even the second, but I do not need to be told a third, fourth or even a fifth time, together with an in depth analysis of the lady shelf stacker's diet plan.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Well I did try! You can't blame me for trying to help a man who sounded as if he was drowning. I hope she has shopped it out of her system by the time she gets back. Maybe a nice cup of tea?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 03, 2020, 03:35:40 PM
Did you give the Sainsbury's point of law due consideration? Did you determine to look it up and see what she was talking about? Or did you just do the Macho thing and assume like so many men that you can do anything without reading the instructions? Did it occur to you that she at least made an effort to look at something with a view to helping the situation? My daughter is married to a top lawyer, she is also a lawyer but they had kids so couldn't both do the hours etc but even her husband will try to dismiss her ideas. Fortunately she had me as her mother. Enough said, and very often she sees the answer to a legal problem that he missed.

All true Toots and I have picked up a couple of points of law that might save us a thousand or so, plus an example of cackhanded draftsmanship that should save even more. I may have missed it the first time and even the second, but I do not need to be told a third, fourth or even a fifth time, together with an in depth analysis of the lady shelf stacker's diet plan.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2020, 02:53:50 PM
Why are you perceived to be liable for any repairs to a council flat?

We are leaseholders and the Council retains the freehold. So every decade the borough pitches up and asks us to contribute to the cost of stopping the place falling into the street.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2020, 03:24:26 PM
The local council are ok, but they don't like folk buying their council properties over much so they tend to be a bit tetchy when it comes to repairs. We a freeholders living in a flat in a terrace house so the borough has us over a barrel in these matters.

The money is not really a problem. We get this palaver every ten years and have stashed a few bob away accordingly.

There are plenty of local advocacy groups and they mean well, but Jesus Christ they make my piles bleed. I dealt with plenty of them when I was with HMRC and things were never so bad that they could not make matters worse.

As said, I have been quietly chipping away at this matter for the last three years and have gotten the bill down to less than half. I could pay up but reckon that I can trim a little more off. All I need is a pen, paper and a bit of time to marshal my thoughts. What I don't need is madam explaining a brilliant point of law that she picked up from a shelf stacker at Sainsbury's.

I love that woman, but she drives me bloody nuts.

Did you give the Sainsbury's point of law due consideration? Did you determine to look it up and see what she was talking about? Or did you just do the Macho thing and assume like so many men that you can do anything without reading the instructions? Did it occur to you that she at least made an effort to look at something with a view to helping the situation? My daughter is married to a top lawyer, she is also a lawyer but they had kids so couldn't both do the hours etc but even her husband will try to dismiss her ideas. Fortunately she had me as her mother. Enough said, and very often she sees the answer to a legal problem that he missed.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on October 03, 2020, 02:34:29 PM
I thought you had her beat on that.   :D A poke indeed..

Only messin'. Nonetheless, what are the repairs and can't you just get them done with someone cheaper yourselves? Or are they Nazis about that?

I pictured you living in a terraced house for some reason, but you stated you had several kids, so I guess a lot of your income must have gone on them.

Nonetheless, don't they help you out? Surely that's how it should be and why aren't they joining in the fray to help you haggle the council down. Maybe get some advocacy from the kinds of groups you constantly moan about who help council tenants and such.  :D The more of you there are to kick up a big fuss (and threaten lawsuits) the more scared they get - a local councillor told me that councils are so scared of lawsuits that they bend easily, can't afford to lose money. Maybe you can invite smurf down to bore them to submission with tales of shooting tourists and his gas stove and shed?

The local council are ok, but they don't like folk buying their council properties over much so they tend to be a bit tetchy when it comes to repairs. We a freeholders living in a flat in a terrace house so the borough has us over a barrel in these matters.

The money is not really a problem. We get this palaver every ten years and have stashed a few bob away accordingly.

There are plenty of local advocacy groups and they mean well, but Jesus Christ they make my piles bleed. I dealt with plenty of them when I was with HMRC and things were never so bad that they could not make matters worse.

As said, I have been quietly chipping away at this matter for the last three years and have gotten the bill down to less than half. I could pay up but reckon that I can trim a little more off. All I need is a pen, paper and a bit of time to marshal my thoughts. What I don't need is madam explaining a brilliant point of law that she picked up from a shelf stacker at Sainsbury's.

I love that woman, but she drives me bloody nuts.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2020, 02:57:47 PM
Listen?

You are a good lass Toots but you come up with some funny ideas at times  :)

It's the only answer! Take my word for it.  :)