Lords reject freedom of movement bill

Started by Streetwalker, October 05, 2020, 05:51:08 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 14, 2020, 11:58:47 AM
That's right Ovium, you're about to see what would have been if you and your feudal overlords hadn't snuffed it out. Be sure to let the rest of the world know when you tire of the people who gave you Peterloo. Your caste was never anything but their willing cannon fodder.
Or in other words more romantic idealism. Without an inkling of how it really works.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Cor Blimey!

They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Sheepy on October 14, 2020, 11:38:04 AM
For the great Celtic revival apparently,

That's right Ovium, you're about to see what would have been if you and your feudal overlords hadn't snuffed it out. Be sure to let the rest of the world know when you tire of the people who gave you Peterloo. Your caste was never anything but their willing cannon fodder.
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 14, 2020, 11:33:13 AM

Why would we want to send our banks to Canada?
For the great Celtic revival apparently, ~I am not sure what the indigenous will make of it though.

T00ts

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 14, 2020, 10:39:55 AM

When you've finished correcting that, get yourself down to your local bank and tell it to get its ass over here on the double.

Why would we want to send our banks to Canada?

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 14, 2020, 02:29:53 AM

Nigel Farage. What a guy.

Yeah, he's very impressive.  Remember when he said that Von der Leyen had no legitimacy because she got only 52% of the vote. Remind us what the percentages in the brexit referendum were, will you Baffled?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farages-attack-illegitimate-eu-18327630

Btw, the correct spelling is 'have' not 'of': 'NI could of and still can vote to leave the UK'. When you've finished correcting that, get yourself down to your local bank and tell it to get its ass over here on the double.

Baff

They all could have voted Labour.
That would have stopped it.

Scotland could have voted to leave the UK.
That would have stopped it for them.

NI could of and still can vote to leave the UK.
That will stop it.
NI can also veto Brexit policy in NI.

Wales could have voted to remain in the EU referendum.
That would have stopped it.
As indeed would have all of Scotland or all of NI doing so.

Now, how would any of us have stopped the UK from founding the EU?
What opportunity did any of us have.

OK?
So we have had plenty of opportunity to stop Brexit democratically.
But zero opportunity to stop joining the EU democratically.

Democracy didn't cut both ways.
It worked if you wanted to be in the EU, but was denied if you wanted not to be.
For 28 years.

Nigel Farage. What a guy.

How does Macron control it?
I'll give you one example.

Macron says that if you give France a referendum on it, they will vote to leave the EU.
So he won't give them a referendum on it.

And then he is the head of a big block in the EU and can simply veto anything in the EU he dislikes.
A trade deal with the UK for example. Or Canada.

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 11:21:55 PMSo you honestly think that Merkel and Macron are not pulling the strings? You need your head bone examining.
And how do they control.
Johnson says hard brexit, he can do it, he's in charge. Nothing Scotland, NI or Wales can do. Even if all 3 wanted to stop it they can't.

Now how does Merkel and Macron do likewise. How do they take action, make things happen. Some detail or examples would be nice.

This should be good.

Sheepy

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 11:21:55 PM
So you honestly think that Merkel and Macron are not pulling the strings? You need your head bone examining.
Best start preparing for no deal Brexit, all the arguments don't change a thing.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 13, 2020, 03:33:49 PMWhereas the EU is a co-op with each member of the union having a single voice

So you honestly think that Merkel and Macron are not pulling the strings? You need your head bone examining.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 13, 2020, 07:32:13 PM
That's the point — well partly. The UK is officially regarded as a country by many international organisations, including the UN. Confusingly, the International Organization for Standardization calls the country United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and gives it the codes of GB and GBR.
Sport is probably different because different "games" developed over the centuries in the different UK nations eg, golf is run from Scotland, English cricket amalgamated (partly) with the Welsh body. Then, in Rugby Union, there's the British & Irish Lions.
It seems to work, so why try to make sense of it...?

One of the beauties of this country is the eccentricity that we have always been known for. It is one of the things that sets us apart and long may it last. We have always resisted being pressed into tick tacky boxes and thank goodness we are doing it again. (Yes I do know the song).  :)

patman post

Quote from: GerryT on October 13, 2020, 03:33:49 PMThe point being the UK doesn't have a team for any sport, not that I can think of. I appreciate the UK is a complicated country but the UK is not a single country like any other that I've seen
That's the point — well partly. The UK is officially regarded as a country by many international organisations, including the UN. Confusingly, the International Organization for Standardization calls the country United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and gives it the codes of GB and GBR.
Sport is probably different because different "games" developed over the centuries in the different UK nations eg, golf is run from Scotland, English cricket amalgamated (partly) with the Welsh body. Then, in Rugby Union, there's the British & Irish Lions.
It seems to work, so why try to make sense of it...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GerryT

Quote from: patman post on October 12, 2020, 03:27:18 PMIt's a question of terminology — and admittedly confusing. There are Home Nations contests in UK sport. And some international sporting bodies accept each of the four nations competing in their own right — in international cricket, there's the all-Ireland team, and England is actually England and Wales.
The IOC doesn't regard the four nations of the UK as independent countries, but it does have the Ireland team with contestants from north an south, so the remainder compete as GB.
This is not unique: West Indies play as an international cricket team, but the countries compete individually in the Olympics.
I've probably got some of that wrong, but that's more or less part of the picture...
The point being the UK doesn't have a team for any sport, not that I can think of. I appreciate the UK is a complicated country but the UK is not a single country like any other that I've seen. It's very like the EU in that way, except the UK is a dictatorship relationship with England telling the other members of the union whats what. Whereas the EU is a co-op with each member of the union having a single voice, thats one of the main reason's for the imperial brexit red bus.

As for Ireland, all our sports are a single country and a single team "Ireland". But any person from north or south can play on the Ireland team. We don't have a southern Ireland team for anything.

Baff

No need to encourage it in my opinion.
For the same reasons.

If you build, foment and foster rival and warring identities within your own nation, don't be surprised when they go to war with each other.

patman post

^^^
I've some sympathy with that. But wars are fought and lives lost over strongly-held national identities, so while they apply in various circumstances it's best to be aware.
Perhaps in your case you don't need to interact with such sensibilities...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...