Community Speed Watch

Started by papasmurf, October 05, 2020, 06:34:53 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 07, 2020, 09:19:59 AM
Pappyism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

I love people being happy it is the miserable pedantic ill informed sufferers of cognitive dissonance, on internet forums I have a problem with.

To those who need to go to Specsavers I wrote in this thread contribution 5:-

The cars attempting 130mph in the 30mph limit are many and various makes, and not all driven by youth by a long way.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on October 07, 2020, 07:44:42 AM
FFS smurf , it comes to something when even sensitive steve is politely calling you a bullshitter. :D

Pappyism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on October 06, 2020, 09:48:04 PM
The long straight across Goonhilly is not a 30mph road, but a main artery A-road where national speed limit applies, 60mph.

The road I am on about, (from Kuggar to Traboe Cross,) has not got any road number. It is barely two way due to narrowness, and has four foot deep water drainage trenches each side hidden with undergrowth.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 06, 2020, 12:10:38 PM
You might not believe but plenty of morons manage to do it, and faster. (Very long straight across Goonhilly.)
I have curbed the enthusiasm of one such moron recently. He should keep his car, taxed, insured and MOTd.

FFS smurf , it comes to something when even sensitive steve is politely calling you a bullshitter. :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on October 06, 2020, 12:10:38 PM
You might not believe but plenty of morons manage to do it, and faster. (Very long straight across Goonhilly.)
I have curbed the enthusiasm of one such moron recently. He should keep his car, taxed, insured and MOTd.
The long straight across Goonhilly is not a 30mph road, but a main artery A-road where national speed limit applies, 60mph.

So clearly not an example here of someone doing 130 in a 30 zone. Lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 06, 2020, 12:01:33 PM

130mph on the Lizard does seem a trifle unbelievable.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on October 06, 2020, 11:36:52 AMIndeed. These exaggerated notions of people doing 130mph in 30mph zones are themselves ridiculous. I have never seen anyone remotely doing such a speed in such a zone. Ever. Maybe 40 or 50, even 60 if its duel carriageway. Not 130.
I suppose they are having car wars on the DUEL carriageway. ;)
I can't think of anywhere in Cornwall, apart from motorways where I could manage to drive much above 40. When driving along roads with passing places and the hedgerows brushing each side of the car it is quite difficult.
130mph on the Lizard does seem a trifle unbelievable.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on October 06, 2020, 11:36:52 AM
Indeed. These exaggerated notions of people doing 130mph in 30mph zones are themselves ridiculous.

They have been actually clocked doing just that locally, with a driving ban and in some cases prison.

In one case (not known to the police,) it was 148 miles an hour. Because when the idiot stopped. He was too stupid to know the technology on his motorcycle had recorded it, and unless cancelled it stays recorded. So when someone showed him the recorded speed, he was somewhat subdued.
(He was and is old enough to know better.)

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2020, 08:53:10 PM
I have a radar speed detector, I occasionally carry it when walking in the village. Surprisingly, although the speed limit of 30 is often exceeded, I have not recorded anyone at very high speed. I did record one at 49, but he was just leaving the 40 into 30 and braking.
Some cars brake when I operate the device, I suspect they have radar detectors.

I'm not sure about the legality of using this device, so I just keep it to myself for personal interest.

Indeed. These exaggerated notions of people doing 130mph in 30mph zones are themselves ridiculous. I have never seen anyone remotely doing such a speed in such a zone. Ever. Maybe 40 or 50, even 60 if its duel carriageway. Not 130.

It is true that in the relentless war on speed some roads have had the limit reduced to 30 where it used to be 40 or 50. I know of such places - duel carriageways typically - where such a limit is ridiculously low for the road. Consequently such limits in such locations tend to be widely flouted with the minority conforming to the limit being overtaken often at some speed. Makes for a perfect, artificially created, hunting ground for mobile speed camera vans out to raise revenue.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 06, 2020, 10:16:05 AM
That shows their perverse objectives.
It is not to reduce speeds and make the roads safer, it is to catch motorists speeding and raise fines.

Where I live, for the last few months, the dangerous driving and ridiculous speeds have caused a level of accidents far beyond the usual.
Something  drastic needs to be done.
(An ANPR camera on the approach to the village would solve a lot of the problem, plus average speed cameras.)

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on October 06, 2020, 07:26:42 AM
That applies to several European countries as well. (In some cases with eye watering fines.)

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/speed-camera-detector-france
That shows their perverse objectives.
It is not to reduce speeds and make the roads safer, it is to catch motorists speeding and raise fines.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 10:34:02 PM
I'm told that any vehicle in Scotland with a radar speed detector is breaking the law.

That applies to several European countries as well. (In some cases with eye watering fines.)

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/speed-camera-detector-france

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 10:34:02 PM
I'm told that any vehicle in Scotland with a radar speed detector is breaking the law. If so, that would be unfortunate for anyone whose retrofitted a GPS with that integral feature...

There is a case where by a guy argued and won that when using his radar detector he was not receiving and acting upon police information, he was just detecting the presence of information.

I was stopped by the police on the M74 whilst using a detector, it went off and I immediately braked. The police walked up the hard shoulder and I opened my passenger window, this thing was chirping like a good un whilst he spoke to me, never mentioned it once. He did check every inch of my car, including spare wheel though. Unless things have changed in the last 10 years I think they are perfectly legal.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

I have a radar speed detector, I occasionally carry it when walking in the village. Surprisingly, although the speed limit of 30 is often exceeded, I have not recorded anyone at very high speed. I did record one at 49, but he was just leaving the 40 into 30 and braking.

I'm not sure about the legality of using this device, so I just keep it to myself for personal interest.
I'm told that any vehicle in Scotland with a radar speed detector is breaking the law. If so, that would be unfortunate for anyone whose retrofitted a GPS with that integral feature...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

I would imagine that plod might not be happy, but then they have to catch you first.