Conservative conference: Johnson on 'broken' housing market

Started by GBNews, October 08, 2020, 01:05:58 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 09, 2020, 05:02:15 PM
They did not have to be replaced Pappy. What do you think happened when the tenants bought their own homes?

40% of "right to buy" have ended up on the buy to let market.  A program of council house building is now urgent but it will never happen under a Tory government.

https://www.yourmoney.com/mortgages/40-right-buy-homes-now-owned-private-landlords/

Data obtained from 111 local authorities revealed that 40.2% of council homes sold to then-tenants are now rented out privately.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2020, 03:20:29 PM
But Thatcher didn't replace the one's sold under the right to buy.

They did not have to be replaced Pappy. What do you think happened when the tenants bought their own homes? Do you think we ate them? The tenants became owner occupiers and as often as not ended up paying two to three times as much in mortgage repayments as they had in rent.

But they were our own homes and that was the bit that counted
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2020, 03:09:27 PM
Evidence please. (None of those sold under the right to buy were replaced.)

QuoteTo look at it another way, New Labour built an average of 562 council houses per year. And Mrs Thatcher's Conservatives? 41,343. That said, it's also true that the number of council houses under construction declined steadily during Mrs Thatcher's era.
Tom Copley, Labour's housing spokesman in the capital, said that Margaret Thatcher's government had built more council flats and houses in a single year than New Labour's managed in its entire period in office.

This is correct. The official data shows that the Blair and Brown governments built 7,870 council houses (local authority tenure) over the course of 13 years. (If we don't include 2010 - the year when David Cameron became PM - this number drops to 6,510.) Mr Copley has contrasted this figure with the record of Mrs Thatcher's government, which never built fewer than 17,710 homes in a year.

https://fullfact.org/economy/who-built-more-council-houses-margaret-thatcher-or-new-labour/
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 08, 2020, 06:40:02 PM
That is the heart of the problem. What is needed is large scale council housing, but the Tories are doctrinally opposed to that.

Margaret thatcher built more council houses than any of the last three labour governments.

Labour opposed the snp in scotland ending the right to buy council houses .

So it seems labour are doctrinally opposed to it too.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2020, 12:07:52 PM
Where I live house prices are rising because of an invasion of people from out of the county.

Of which you are one , so what are you moaning about?

Its ok for you to do it but no one else?

Do you actually read what you type on these forums sometimes? :D

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2020, 01:57:17 PM
It costs vert little to heat my home because of the party wall.

It is what you wanted to post?

Many thanks. This Ubuntu 18.04 may be free and for nothing, but it is also a bit buggered
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 09, 2020, 01:49:24 PM
It is the semi bit that puts me off. If it were detached we might have done business, but what is the point of moving to the arse end of anywhere if you are joined at the party wall by the other cheek?

This is what I want.

It costs vert little to heat my home because of the party wall.

It is what you wanted to post?

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2020, 01:37:17 PM
It isn't good at all it puts the prices well beyond the reach of local young people.  My home is apparently valued at £247000. (Which is ridiculous for a two bed, semi detached bungalow.)

It is the semi bit that puts me off. If it were detached we might have done business, but what is the point of moving to the arse end of anywhere if you are joined at the party wall by the other cheek?

This is what I want.

And needless to say the bloody image can't be transposed. Bloody hippies. Even so..

https://monktonwyldcourt.co.uk/

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 09, 2020, 01:20:18 PM
I know. Good isn't it?

It isn't good at all it puts the prices well beyond the reach of local young people.  My home is apparently valued at £247000. (Which is ridiculous for a two bed, semi detached bungalow.)

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2020, 12:07:52 PM
Where I live house prices are rising because of an invasion of people from out of the county.

I know. Good isn't it?

My miserable little shoe box is now worth telephone numbers. I think I will sell up and buy Cornwall  :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 09, 2020, 11:45:06 AM
helping the up to 30 year olds is f**k all use, my daughter is already past that age and unable to get anywhere thanks to the coronapox

johnofgwent

helping the up to 30 year olds is F@@@ all use, my daughter is already past that age and unable to get anywhere thanks to the coronapox
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 08, 2020, 06:11:27 PM
Its all very well giving people the chance to own their own drum with 95% mortgages but that doesn't help them pay it . How on earth does anyone expect  a young couple on the average wage to pay a £200,000 mortgage ?  (Thats the cheapest I can see in Croydonia )

That is the heart of the problem. What is needed is large scale council housing, but the Tories are doctrinally opposed to that.