WHO (Accidentally) Confirms Covid is No More Dangerous Than Flu

Started by Thomas, October 10, 2020, 07:58:07 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 12, 2020, 11:14:03 AM
People suffer from "long flu" too.

Really? They rarely end up with long term life limiting conditions.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2020, 08:13:15 AM
It is when the number suffering from "long Covid," are added in, some 600000 in the case of Britain with an as yet unknow number of them suffering permanent or long term damage as a result.
People suffer from "long flu" too. It's those people who call every virus "flu", when they just have a cold.
Influenza is not a snotty condition and has always been debilitating to the point of death and requiring a long recovery.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 11, 2020, 09:22:00 PM

It's really not that difficult.

It is when the number suffering from "long Covid," are added in, some 600000 in the case of Britain with an as yet unknow number of them suffering permanent or long term damage as a result.

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on October 11, 2020, 07:52:12 PMThomas it's worth checking what are regarded as the most reliable statistics before starting a thread on the basis of fake news that suits your tough-guy attitude.
Are you illiterate? It is not fake news. It has been reasonable explained and the IFR is quite clearly 20 times lower than thought because the WHO say 10% of the world population has had it. 1 million died out of 700 million.
The figure on the worldometers site is the number of people tested positive. For every one tested positive there are about another 20 who were infected but never tested.

It's really not that difficult.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Currently 4% of all closed covid-19 cases worldwide have been fatal, the other 96% being 'recovered'.     
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

From the same source . . . Only 1% of active cases worldwide are currently serious or critical.

This could indicate that a mutation of covid-19 known as D614G is becoming dominant and it's possible that it's less likely to make someone seriously ill although it's more infectious.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/new-strain-covid-more-infectious-1.892276.

But even with all the testing going on now in Britain, around 7.1% of all confirmed covid-19 cases here since the start have been fatal. (603,716 cases and 42,825 deaths up to today, 11 Oct)

The death rate for seasonal flu is usually given as about 1 in 1000, or 0.1%. That's vastly lower than for covid-19.

Thomas it's worth checking what are regarded as the most reliable statistics before starting a thread on the basis of fake news that suits your tough-guy attitude.

QuoteThe colder weather in the north has shown a real surge in infection and hospital admittances endangering those suffering from non-Covid illnesses. This is beginning to spread south.
If the cold weather is part of the reason for the increase, does that suggest that the virus is surviving in the open air? Given that more places have heating on when it's cold, average indoor temperatures aren't likely to be that much less than a coolish summer day.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

While the percentage of excess deaths reported by PHE continue to be 80-90% Covid related, I am prepared to accept and abide by the Govt's restrictions and recommendations.

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

Unfortunately, the gains made against the spread of this disease are now dangerously compromised by those who do not take Covid seriously. The colder weather in the north has shown a real surge in infection and hospital admittances endangering those suffering from non-Covid illnesses. This is beginning to spread south.

Bit of a bummer really when the indications were that the Covid safeguards were also reducing the usual seasonal infections...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 11, 2020, 10:11:34 AM

I'll tell you what, they can get stuffed. I'm all out of complying to their "Do as we say, not as we do, rubbish".

Got plenty of money to pay the fines?

Barry

I'll tell you a bit of history. In March this virus was spreading really rapidly and panic set in because the WHO had told us 5% of people who got it were dying. I remember being at Dudley Hospital when a patient died on a Sunday and the body was double bagged to go to the mortuary. The lifts were sealed off. The corridors were cleared. The body was moved by people in more PPE than I had ever seen before. During this time all the staff were moving around the hospital, myself included, wearing no PPE, not even a mask.
By the time May came nearly all the people who were going to die had already done so. The wards with Covid patients were down to 3 and when patients died they were moved by porters with no corridors cleared or similar precautions. The medical staff had already figured out the threat and were adapting accordingly.

The whole thing since May has been an over reaction.
My plan now would be to stop testing everyone, concentrating resources on people who present with serious illness. Test them as they are admitted to hospital.
Treat the sick.

What really gets me very angry is that I took quite a risk to work at the hospital to help others in a time when it was thought we were at great risk of death. The government allowed, even encouraged this, all without PPE.
Now they want me to wear a mask in a shop in an area where 2 people in 10,000 allegedly have the virus.
They also want me to keep away from my family meeting in groups of 6 or less. So what changed there? When did my ability to decide my own risk get trumped by the "law".
I'll tell you what, they can get stuffed. I'm all out of complying to their "Do as we say, not as we do, rubbish".

They are about to be shown up for crashing the economy for nothing and that is why they are keeping the lie going that Covid-19 is such a dangerous killer, when influenza is as potent.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on October 10, 2020, 09:27:50 PM
Damage is done matey, the worrying part  is, all the agencies who have gone along with it. In that case.

I know sheep.

The obvious contradictions in how they are dealing with this virus is many and varied.

Telling office workers to work from home while kids are being sent to school and uni.

Teachers unable to mark paper homework for 72 hours , as the virus can live on surfaces for 72 hours , but its fine to receive a letter or parcel through your front door?

Over egging the pudding on the tiny amount of weekly covid deaths ( or should we say deaths with a "link" to covid ), while not talking about the vast amount of deaths from other diseases like cancer.

The list goes on , and for what?

I have never been a conspiracy theorist in my life, but the longer this goes on , i ask myself whats this all about?

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on October 10, 2020, 10:35:50 PM
I know I was concerned initially, but it wasn't long before I realised it is not too dangerous.
So I'm going to be annoying and say, I told you so. The IFR is believed to be 0.13%.
Now, can I please have my life back, and stop making me a criminal for hugging my grandkids?
I doubt you will be getting your life back anytime soon, it would mean the best part of the world admitting they have been made to look complete fools. So don't be holding ones breath.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

I know I was concerned initially, but it wasn't long before I realised it is not too dangerous.
So I'm going to be annoying and say, I told you so. The IFR is believed to be 0.13%.
Now, can I please have my life back, and stop making me a criminal for hugging my grandkids?
† The end is nigh †