Lockdown by age not region?

Started by T00ts, October 14, 2020, 05:54:02 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

This is a fantastic idea and sounds great.

On the planet Zog.

Meanwhile here on the planet Earth, can anyone give a really detailed plan of how this would work in a way that completely prevents any old or vulnerable people coming into contact with any younger people?

It sounds great but it's not practical.

It's not remotely surprising that most of the people pushing this idea are the same ones that think Brexit was a great idea - they don't like the current proposal but they don't actually have a practical detailed plan to make their proposal work -

It's easy - just keep all the old and vulnerable people completely separated.

It's easy - just become a global trading and military superpower and take over the world again.

So can someone please post a clear detailed plan of how this would work in practice?

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 15, 2020, 12:34:25 PM
Sounds good Toots. In practice most of my immediate circle do that already. With a few exceptions we have all reached the seven score plus stage and are happy to gather in gangs in parks and allotments where we happily talk bollocks and spray snot over each other. The more we do that the less likely we are to infect the kids who are actually needed to run the economy and pay our pensions.

Top banana Toots  :)

I always knew my daughters were bright - they take it from their mother of course!  ;) :-*

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 14, 2020, 05:54:02 PM
I know that everyone is an expert at present and there are as many theories about the best way to manage Covid 19 infection as there are hospitals trying to deal with the fallout but I just had an interesting chat with one of my daughters and this is her theory.

All vulnerable go into isolation unless they choose otherwise.
Anyone over 65 likewise
Everyone else carry on as normal especially for the economy's sake with distancing, masks hand washing etc.

Could this work in your opinion? Her sentiment is that too many scientists are arguing publicly which is confusing to the man in the street, Government is falling between two stools and far too slow in making decisions, which is translating as weakness which encourages everyone else to question everything to the point of outright disagreement or ignoring all of it.

Sounds good Toots. In practice most of my immediate circle do that already. With a few exceptions we have all reached the seven score plus stage and are happy to gather in gangs in parks and allotments where we happily talk bollocks and spray snot over each other. The more we do that the less likely we are to infect the kids who are actually needed to run the economy and pay our pensions.

Top banana Toots  :)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Sounds feasible. But there's no reason why such a scheme cannot run within whatever regional restrictions and other health recommendations are announced...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Quote from: HDQQ on October 15, 2020, 10:24:12 AMBut what about people in the 60 - 64 age group if they're forced to go to work. They would then become highest risk group and would rightly feel hard done-by.

And it's not just at higher age groups. My fiancée has been hospitalised over the past few years for Asthma, and pneumonia, and has an overactive immune system, if there was a large breakout in my region she'd be very high risk despite her age.

The risk of me bringing the virus back home because she can choose to isolate, but I can't, seems an issue with this partial lockdown.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

On the face of it, voluntary self-isolation by age sounds like a good idea since it would protect the most vulnerable by age group. But those over 65 are either retired or able to retire, so in theory they can isolate themselves already, apart from maybe shopping or emergencies.

But what about people in the 60 - 64 age group if they're forced to go to work. They would then become highest risk group and would rightly feel hard done-by.

And then what if one person in a married couple wants to self-isolate but the other wants to keep going as normal?

I'm in my mid 60's and although in good health and not normally worried about getting ill I've been in the very cautious category regarding covid-19.

All around me I see people even older than me completely flouting any of the advice about distancing or mask wearing. I have to say the culprits are mostly men.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on October 14, 2020, 05:54:02 PMAll vulnerable go into isolation unless they choose otherwise.
Anyone over 65 likewise
Everyone else carry on as normal especially for the economy's sake with distancing, masks hand washing etc.
Yes, please. Where do I sign up for freedom?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 14, 2020, 11:57:44 PM
could it work ? Absolutely.

I agree, given support by government which does not seem likely.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

I know that everyone is an expert at present and there are as many theories about the best way to manage Covid 19 infection as there are hospitals trying to deal with the fallout but I just had an interesting chat with one of my daughters and this is her theory.

All vulnerable go into isolation unless they choose otherwise.
Anyone over 65 likewise

Could this work in your opinion? Her sentiment is that too many scientists are arguing publicly which is confusing to the man in the street, Government is falling between two stools and far too slow in making decisions, which is translating as weakness which encourages everyone else to question everything to the point of outright disagreement or ignoring all of it.