France imposes 9pm to 6am curfew

Started by patman post, October 14, 2020, 07:32:06 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

I see the French curfew is going to be very strict, with prison sentences for repeat offenders. It will be interesting to see what effect a part-time lockdown has.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on October 15, 2020, 10:41:51 AM
At the moment the French have a second wave about the same severity as we have.  A curfew sounds a bit arbitrary since the virus doesn't know the difference between 8 pm and 10pm. But if it cuts the amount of time people are able to mix, then it will reduce the spread. Rather similar to what we have here,

Where I (usually,) go in Brittany there are very few places open after 21.00 hours anyway.  The cafes bars are usually open from 06.30 hours until 21.00 hours.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on October 14, 2020, 07:34:05 PMIt is the French. They always over react. And no one takes any notice of Macron anyway

At the moment the French have a second wave about the same severity as we have.  A curfew sounds a bit arbitrary since the virus doesn't know the difference between 8 pm and 10pm. But if it cuts the amount of time people are able to mix, then it will reduce the spread. Rather similar to what we have here, in Tier 2 areas where pubs can stay open provided they serve substantial meals. As if the virus thinks 'oh, we mustn't infect anyone there because they serve substantial meals.'. Again I suppose it's about reducing the total number of opportunities for the virus to spread, a bit like imposing lockdown only on people with surnames beginning with A-M one week and N-Z the next. Actually that might work because it would halve the mumber of people out and about at any one time and nobody would be shut away for too long at a time.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: patman post on October 14, 2020, 07:32:06 PMSeems a bit heavy-handed for what some describe as no more dangerous than flu...

5 die in every 10,000 under 70 years of age. What is the IFR of seasonal influenza and how about the swine flu? (0.02%)

Influenza in general:
QuoteOverall influenza-associated mortality has been estimated to 13.8 per 100,000 person-years (Thompson, 2003).
(EU document) That is 0.0138%)
Therefore Covid-19 is about 2.5 to 4 times more likely to prove fatal than swine flu or other influenza strains.

Whether this justifies closing economies, lockdowns where mental health is compromised, or curfews will be analysed in a future public enquiry, which will be long, too many pages, and a whitewash, if previous public enquiries are anything to go by.

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Maybe it will give them time to rebuild it, as the French have been smashing it up for a couple of years.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 14, 2020, 07:32:06 PM
French President Emmanuel Macron has announced that people must stay indoors from 21:00 to 06:00 in Paris and eight other cities to control the rapid spread of coronavirus in the country.

Seems a bit heavy-handed for what some describe as no more dangerous than flu...

That's a shame, they're the best fishing hours 😉
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 14, 2020, 08:44:45 PM
Paris is like London, I wouldn't go to either if I were paid to.
They are two distinct cities — though they both are artistic, cultural and intellectual centres. One is undeniably beautiful and cerebral. The other is one of the most (probably the most) lively and multicultural cities in the world.
Among the other world ranking cities I rate are Madrid, Prague, Rome, Sydney, and Vancouver, and, and, and, but London and Paris are my two firm favourites...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on October 14, 2020, 07:32:06 PM
French President Emmanuel Macron has announced that people must stay indoors from 21:00 to 06:00 in Paris and eight other cities to control the rapid spread of coronavirus in the country.

Seems a bit heavy-handed for what some describe as no more dangerous than flu...
Is the virus especially active at night? No, so it's just a French faux pas.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 14, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
Would you want an invasion of potential plague carriers from Liverpool?
Not if they carry on like they are reported as doing last night — but then, why is anyone surprised? It's because such behaviour is expected from them that the stories about Hillsborough were so readily believed...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 14, 2020, 08:25:48 PM
Paris should have had a curfew years ago

Paris is like London, I wouldn't go to either if I were paid to.

Streetwalker

Paris should have had a curfew years ago

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 14, 2020, 08:05:27 PM
And now Wales is overreacting:
People in parts of the UK with high rates of Covid-19 will be banned from travelling to Wales under plans announced by Wales' first minister....

Would you want an invasion of potential plague carriers from Liverpool?

patman post

And now Wales is overreacting:
People in parts of the UK with high rates of Covid-19 will be banned from travelling to Wales under plans announced by Wales' first minister....

patman post

Perhaps being from a BAME background or having a penchant for cheese puts people more at risk...