Brexit: UK must 'get ready' for no EU trade deal, says PM

Started by Borchester, October 16, 2020, 02:12:15 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on October 17, 2020, 10:19:25 AM

If you want to know who he is, its the sheriff from blazing saddles. From here on I think I should refer to johnson as the sheriff, good nickname for him.

You never know someone might be inspired by Bob Marley.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Don't give up hope for a deal yet. Look at whats happened. Johnson makes a speech and never says talks are finished, a reported asked him directly after, did this mean the uk is walking and johnson didn't confirm.

Then later yesterday Frost did come out with a tweet saying Barnier need not come Monday to continue talks, that seemed like the confirmation.

Then hang on, soon after that frost is sends another message saying talks continue on monday.

Whats happened is johnson makes an announcement to his brexit supporters that makes ot sound like he's walking, but he never said that, then he gets frosty to lie about the uk walking while confirming to barnier that talks continue on Monday

Whats been left out is barnier told frost that the eu is not shifting and unless the uk is prepared to change stance then whats the point in meeting next week. The end result, johnson throws up a big smoke screen and talks continue as expected.

While we are on this, the eu told the uk that Canada was available but canada+++ was not. While johnson sulks that he can't get what canada has, he's talking about canada+++.

The uk starting to look like north Korea now in their nogioating ability.

"Die in a ditch" he said
"Oven ready" he said
"They need us more than we need them" he said
"....but but but the German car manufacturers" he said
If you want to know who he is, its the sheriff from blazing saddles. From here on I think I should refer to johnson as the sheriff, good nickname for him.

papasmurf

Quote from: nick on October 17, 2020, 09:52:40 AM
Again, you're making statements without any substance.

I made the same statement a long time ago because it was obvious that a no deal exit was going to happen.

It is down to Dominic (Rasputin,) Cummings:-

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-08-16/brexit-architect-cummings-has-radical-no-deal-plans

Dominic Cummings is hell-bent on pushing through a no-deal Brexit and ignoring parliament. His plan for what comes after is even more radical.

By Therese Raphael
16 August 2019, 09:00 BST

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 17, 2020, 07:36:37 AM
Frankly it was (expletive deleted,) obvious from the start.

Again, you're making statements without any substance.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 10:29:40 PM
Another statement you can't prove.

Frankly it was (expletive deleted,) obvious from the start.

Baff

I think there is a difference between not expecting to get a deal and not wanting one.
A nuance.

Many of us expected that no deal would be the most realistic, best outcome.
With a potential for a better trade deal that was frankly an unrealistic potential.
Possible, but not to be expected.

So the good deal was always there to play for.

But it required the good faith of our trade partners and did not ultimately have it.
For myself that became clear in the 2015 negotiations.
Leaving a WTO exit as the "preferred" option.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: HDQQ on October 16, 2020, 08:34:41 PM

If it was OK for politicians to campaign for leaving the EU, then it will become increasingly OK for other politicians to campaign for us to rejoin. Perversely, one benefit (perhaps the only benefit) of actually leaving the EU is that campaigning to rejoin can no longer be described by some as undemocratic.

Join the EU with the consent of the country and you will get a very different result from the way they did it last time.
Cheats aren't allowed to win.
Democracy is not allowed to be usurped.
Once you understand that political power here is bottom up not top down, you are fit to rule.

Baff

If the EU wanted a deal they would have made one in 2015.

All the rest has been theatre.

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on October 16, 2020, 08:34:41 PM
Hopefully Kier Starmer and other party leaders will be keeping friendly links with the EU in the background so that come the next election, if the country realises the mistake it made in 2016, there's a way back.

I don't getting back is possible Britain will be in a wild and wasteful ocean.

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on October 16, 2020, 07:52:29 PM
Frankly it comes as no surprise to me that several decades of anti-EU lies and propaganda in the media/press has brainwashed so many people.
The depth of the disaster from January next year will hopefully shock them in to realising they have been conned.

Hopefully Kier Starmer and other party leaders will be keeping friendly links with the EU in the background so that come the next election, if the country realises the mistake it made in 2016, there's a way back.

If it was OK for politicians to campaign for leaving the EU, then it will become increasingly OK for other politicians to campaign for us to rejoin. Perversely, one benefit (perhaps the only benefit) of actually leaving the EU is that campaigning to rejoin can no longer be described by some as undemocratic.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 16, 2020, 07:42:59 PM
No Papy the EU wants a deal where they can still have far too much say on our country. They don't recognise us as a free non EU country. You kid yourself.

Frankly it comes as no surprise to me that several decades of anti-EU lies and propaganda in the media/press has brainwashed so many people.
The depth of the disaster from January next year will hopefully shock them in to realising they have been conned.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 16, 2020, 07:34:13 PM
The EU very much does want a deal but Boris never intended to do a deal.
Just in case anyone is interested in signing this petition, to name the huge lorry park being built in Kent the Farage Garage:-
https://www.change.org/p/kent-county-council-kent-lorry-park-to-be-named-after-nigel-farage?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition&recruited_by_id=666e9340-0f38-11eb-992a-378e21e6de28

No Papy the EU wants a deal where they can still have far too much say on our country. They don't recognise us as a free non EU country. You kid yourself.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 16, 2020, 07:28:14 PM
It could be just as easily said that the EU never wanted to make a deal.

The EU very much does want a deal but Boris never intended to do a deal.
Just in case anyone is interested in signing this petition, to name the huge lorry park being built in Kent the Farage Garage:-
https://www.change.org/p/kent-county-council-kent-lorry-park-to-be-named-after-nigel-farage?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition&recruited_by_id=666e9340-0f38-11eb-992a-378e21e6de28

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 16, 2020, 07:20:44 PM
Boris never intended to make a deal.

It could be just as easily said that the EU never wanted to make a deal.