The Guardian...1 million young face jobs crisis...

Started by DeppityDawg, October 18, 2020, 09:59:51 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 19, 2020, 12:46:40 PM
As I have probably mentioned before, my knees are crap, my right leg doesn't work, half my toes are numb, I have diabetes and a bad heart.

One way trip to the vet?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on October 19, 2020, 12:22:56 PM
Unless you get covid-19, of course.

As I have probably mentioned before, my knees are crap, my right leg doesn't work, half my toes are numb, I have diabetes and a bad heart. I would like to worry on this new bug but to be honest, fashionable as it is, the Peking Pox will just have to go to the back of the queue
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 10:39:32 PM
True, but since modern medical treatment means that you will probably live forever. . . .
Unless you get covid-19, of course.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 10:39:32 PM
True, but since modern medical treatment means that you will probably live forever, it is only fair that you pay a little extra to keep the young lad in the sort of style he would have enjoyed behind the counter at the NatWest
Survival of the fittest, they will have to eat each other,.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 18, 2020, 10:03:46 PM
On this, he does have a point. 

You are, I presume, aware the government quite recently (like, last week or so) reneged on its prior transition arrangements and upped the retirement age from 65 to 66 for those aged 62.

somewhere, a bank is denying a young man a promising career for another year because I am being forced to stay on another year.

True, but since modern medical treatment means that you will probably live forever, it is only fair that you pay a little extra to keep the young lad in the sort of style he would have enjoyed behind the counter at the NatWest
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 18, 2020, 10:21:29 AM
And your attitude to the young, holiday makers, and anyone who comes to Cornwall in general, has helped these people how exactly?

On this, he does have a point. 

You are, I presume, aware the government quite recently (like, last week or so) reneged on its prior transition arrangements and upped the retirement age from 65 to 66 for those aged 62.

somewhere, a bank is denying a young man a promising career for another year because I am being forced to stay on another year.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 08:35:45 PM
There you are, we will start with them. Not many folk work part time at a good or well paid job so they will be happy to accept a government subsidy to do less

This is will be easier than I thought.
I ain't bothered my motorhome will run chip  oil, if need be, it is completely off grid and plenty of places to ramp up nobody knows about, everything you need can be found in the wild. I am sorted.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 18, 2020, 07:37:15 PM
Currently out of the 30 million or so employed some 8 million are part time. (Full time is deemed to be anything 30 hours a week and over.)

There you are, we will start with them. Not many folk work part time at a good or well paid job so they will be happy to accept a government subsidy to do less

This is will be easier than I thought.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 07:27:35 PM
Could be. And so far things have not worked out too bad. As said, great chunks of the workforce have effectively been laid off but the economy still ticks over. I reckon that one way would be to have the dole and taxes slowly increased (dramatic changes would create unnecessary and counterproductive fuss) until in about another thirty years until the only ones working are those who actually want to.

Or something like that.  :)

Currently out of the 30 million or so employed some 8 million are part time. (Full time is deemed to be anything 30 hours a week and over.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on October 18, 2020, 07:00:09 PM
Well there has been much said about the coming crises re automation for years and what will happen when so many jobs will disappear,and what will people do and how will society fund people's lives.

Perhaps this is a dry run.

Could be. And so far things have not worked out too bad. As said, great chunks of the workforce have effectively been laid off but the economy still ticks over. I reckon that one way would be to have the dole and taxes slowly increased (dramatic changes would create unnecessary and counterproductive fuss) until in about another thirty years until the only ones working are those who actually want to.

Or something like that.  :)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Well there has been much said about the coming crises re automation for years and what will happen when so many jobs will disappear,and what will people do and how will society fund people's lives.

Perhaps this is a dry run.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 06:20:34 PMfurlong business and the economy has yet to collapse

I think you meant furlough business. The "furlong" business is a fools game  :D

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 06:20:34 PM
Exactly. The state pays me to stay alive and you can't say fairer than that. And that has pretty much what has happened as a result of this furlong business and the economy has yet to collapse. In fact as far as I can see from conversations with friends and family, the main reason a lot of folk want to return to work is not so much the money as to get out of the house.

These are deep matters that I shall discuss after I have fixed the loo and had dinner.

If i didnt have to work borkie , i think i would become a professional tourist and head straight to cornwall to wind pappy smurf right up.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 18, 2020, 06:12:14 PM
Well, that's what you do isn't it?  :D :D :D

Exactly. The state pays me to stay alive and you can't say fairer than that. And that has pretty much what has happened as a result of this furlong business and the economy has yet to collapse. In fact as far as I can see from conversations with friends and family, the main reason a lot of folk want to return to work is not so much the money as to get out of the house.

These are deep matters that I shall discuss after I have fixed the loo and had dinner.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester on October 18, 2020, 03:59:56 PMI have a theory that the last year has shown that we don't need such a large workforce and that the country can just as easily allow a lot of folk to sit at home on a decent wage doing sod all

Well, that's what you do isn't it?  :D :D :D