Critical Race Theory

Started by DeppityDawg, October 21, 2020, 11:24:09 AM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 02:30:54 PM
Do you know it's such a relief to hear what you think of something. So often you turn the argument over to another debater without really giving any idea of your own position.

I don't think my opinions are particularly interesting or important, I think the reasoning behind the opinions is something I'd more readily express, i.e. Inputs rather than outputs. But I appreciate you may find that frustrating.

QuoteI have been frantically Googling to try and get a handle on it and TBH it seemed a bit sinister and in true USA fashion was fast becoming an ideology which appears to be well on the way into our Universities. That is scary.
It is one thing to be aware that different ethnicities find life difficult but that is true wherever we live. Whites can be the real underdogs in some places. South Africa would be one case in point where the tide is fast turning. The trouble is that in the end everyone loses.

I think the problem is so many of the baseline claims seem reasonable - Take Kendis 'Every policy is either racist, or anti-racist, no middle ground' Without any application or context one can easily imagine a situation wherein if you see someone getting bullied you have 3 choices-
i) Help the bully
ii) Help the bullied victim
iii) Ignore the situation completely, don't help the bully or the victim.

It's easy to see how both i) and iii) are helping the bully, Kendi takes this and applies it at a Macro level, which seems like a lateral move, but the processes that become involved to support option ii) at a Macro level (Example: A non-elected overseer of all local and federal policy) is staggering.
Don't believe everything you think.

Javert

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 11:24:09 AMIf you wondered what BLM was really all about, start reading about CRT -

Regardless of the conclusions, from a biological and genetic point of view, you'll struggle to find any scientists who would argue that race even exists as an evolutionary, biological or genetic concept - it's a meaningless generalisation.

The short article you quoted appears to suggest that there is some kind of deliberate act involved in this like there is some committee deciding how to subjugate people of different "race" - I doubt hardly anyone truly believes that.

You also make a direct link between this and all people who sympathise with BLM, which doesn't appear to me to be supported by anything you've provided - this is like saying all Germans were Nazis for example.

The question is how much of it is true due to the effects of sociological inertia of some kind.

The other question is, what are the alternative explanations for the proven huge discrepancies in life chances of  people who are looking a bit different from the majority population?

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 02:09:40 PM
Then can you provide a potted version to enlighten us?

There is a lot to go through I don't know if I'd be able to summarise with any degree of justice to the topic. If you're looking for the Critical Race Theory view books like 'White Fragility', 'Between the World and Me' and 'How to be an Anti-Racist'

For Counter arguments I have listed a few good names in my first post in this thread (Loury, Chatterton-Williams, McWhorter etc) I'd also recommend this open letter by Coleman Hughes, a review of Kendi's 'How to be an Anti-Racist' for a very brief introduction into some of the arguments on both sides.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAYJUMpStY

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 02:21:53 PM
Good.
So did I.

No, that is not what I was saying at all. I think I was clear in saying it's people that don't take an interest in it than will be trample.

Critical Race Theory is a very bad set of ideas, and we need to take an interest in bad ideas like it in order to compose well reasoned, and persuasive arguments against it.

Do you know it's such a relief to hear what you think of something. So often you turn the argument over to another debater without really giving any idea of your own position.

I have been frantically Googling to try and get a handle on it and TBH it seemed a bit sinister and in true USA fashion was fast becoming an ideology which appears to be well on the way into our Universities. That is scary.
It is one thing to be aware that different ethnicities find life difficult but that is true wherever we live. Whites can be the real underdogs in some places. South Africa would be one case in point where the tide is fast turning. The trouble is that in the end everyone loses.

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 02:16:11 PM
I have taken an interest.

Good.
So did I.

QuoteSo am I going to be trampled on now because I disagree with the liberal consensus?

No, that is not what I was saying at all. I think I was clear in saying it's people that don't take an interest in it than will be trampled.

Critical Race Theory is a very bad set of ideas, and we need to take an interest in bad ideas like it in order to compose well reasoned, and persuasive arguments against it.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 02:09:40 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

QuoteCritical race theory (CRT)[1] is a theoretical framework in the social sciences that examines society and culture as they relate to categorizations of race, law, and power.[2][3] It is loosely unified by two common themes. Firstly, CRT proposes that white supremacy and racial power are maintained over time, and in particular, that the law may play a role in this process. Secondly, CRT work has investigated the possibility of transforming the relationship between law and racial power, as well as pursuing a project of achieving racial emancipation and anti-subordination more broadly.[4] Developed out of postmodern philosophy,[citation needed][dubious – discuss] it is based on critical theory, a social philosophy that argues that social problems are influenced and created more by societal structures and cultural assumptions than by individual and psychological factors. It began as a theoretical movement within American law schools in the mid- to late 1980s as a reworking of critical legal studies on race issues

more of that yank stuff toots. ;D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 02:07:56 PMBecause if you don't take an interest you are left ignorant, and it's very difficult to argue against something you are ignorant of

I have taken an interest. I cared enough to read about it. And I've said it is crock of shit. It is deeply divisive. So am I going to be trampled on now because I disagree with the liberal consensus?

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 02:07:56 PM
Because if you don't take an interest you are left ignorant, and it's very difficult to argue against something you are ignorant of.

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 02:04:57 PM
Is that right? Would you care to explain how people who don't take an "interest" in this theory are going to be trampled on?

Critical Race Theory is an absolute bucket of shite. Does that outline my view clearly enough for you?

Because if you don't take an interest you are left ignorant, and it's very difficult to argue against something you are ignorant of.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 01:48:47 PMInterest and disturbance are not mutually exclusive. If the people who are disturbed by Critical Race Theory do not take an interest in it, then they can expect to be trampled under it.

Is that right? Would you care to explain how people who don't take an "interest" in this theory are going to be trampled on?

Critical Race Theory is an absolute bucket of shite. Does that outline my view clearly enough for you?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on October 21, 2020, 01:56:12 PM
:)

you have to laugh cromwell at the complete feckin idiocy and outright blatant contradiction on display.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 01:48:47 PM
Interest and disturbance are not mutually exclusive. If the people who are disturbed by Critical Race Theory do not take an interest in it, then they can expect to be trampled under it.

That feels quite threatening. Should we fear it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 01:48:47 PM
Interest and disturbance are not mutually exclusive. If the people who are disturbed by Critical Race Theory do not take an interest in it, then they can expect to be trampled under it.

Any suggestions as to how to stop being trampled by it?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 12:59:09 PM
To you maybe. To many it is disturbing.