Critical Race Theory

Started by DeppityDawg, October 21, 2020, 11:24:09 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on October 22, 2020, 09:07:59 AMI rather link it with the fad for covering table legs in Victorian times for fear that they would incite unworthy feelings

Well, you better keep those legs covered around Borchester, Toots!!!. He may be getting on, but the frisky auld coot isn't quite over the hill yet  :D  :D  :D

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 22, 2020, 08:41:42 AM
True, but then these studies aren't supposed to do the underprivileged any good. Academics are expected to produce a number of papers every year. They don't have to be good or accurate,but they have to be published so as to show that the aforementioned academics are at least doing something. About the only people who take note of them are folk in the media who find them a source of cheap copy.

In the 60s and 70s there were a mass of studies on the lifestyle of the white working class. They were invariably well meaning, patronising and had very little contact with reality. But my wife helped produce a few and the money helped us over a lean period when the children were small.

I have been fighting the urge to make a similar post that perhaps there is a financial incentive behind a lot of studies which are created simply to be able to tick a box on a time sheet. I guess it's luck of the draw if a particular notion catches on and this one seems to have got a life of it's own now that it has been seen to fill a void in the human psyche. I rather link it with the fad for covering table legs in Victorian times for fear that they would incite unworthy feelings. Hopefully the error of this thinking will be recognised before too much social and mental health damage is caused.

The current ageism which puts youth before wisdom possibly means that the young bucks who see this as a new age of Utopian perfection thinking, will simply have to be given time to recognise the error of their ways. Let's hope it doesn't take too many generations for the coin to drop.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 08:57:40 PM
I can't help but feel that this movement will do nothing for those seen as underprivileged.  Division, resentment and ultimately revenge will simply increase, as if the world and mankind hasn't got enough problems.

True, but then these studies aren't supposed to do the underprivileged any good. Academics are expected to produce a number of papers every year. They don't have to be good or accurate,but they have to be published so as to show that the aforementioned academics are at least doing something. About the only people who take note of them are folk in the media who find them a source of cheap copy.

In the 60s and 70s there were a mass of studies on the lifestyle of the white working class. They were invariably well meaning, patronising and had very little contact with reality. But my wife helped produce a few and the money helped us over a lean period when the children were small.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 08:57:40 PMI can't help but feel that this movement will do nothing for those seen as underprivileged.  Division, resentment and ultimately revenge will simply increase, as if the world and mankind hasn't got enough problems.

These kind of self loathing academic theories are the product of people have spent a large part of their lives in education, but who probably couldn't tell you which end of a shovel goes in the ground. A kind of liberal groupthink where the answer to failed liberal policies is even more liberal policies. It's seems that in today's world of identity politics, where there are only "oppressors" and the "oppressed" with no shades in between, the only way to absolve yourself of the guilt of working for a living instead of studying your great grandparents "crimes against humanity", is to repeatedly beat yourself over the head with some new self loathing theory. A kind of modern hair shirt for guilty white liberals

I feel both sorry for and distrust of the young at the same time, since they are largely the ones absorbing and transmitting this shite. At the same time, the society they seem to hate so much is doing itself no favours at all by destroying their futures with questionable science over a disease which every day starts to appear much less deadly than we were all led to believe. Self fulfilling prophesy or catalogue of errors, it doesn't matter I suppose,.because the end result will be the same. We are all being driven further and further apart.

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 08:43:15 PM
I'd like to see one of these theorists explain my "privilege" to me.

I can't help but feel that this movement will do nothing for those seen as underprivileged.  Division, resentment and ultimately revenge will simply increase, as if the world and mankind hasn't got enough problems.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 08:35:09 PM
The labels gaining so much strength are 'white privelege' and with it 'unconscious racism'. Both are designed to impart guilt to all based only on race and colour. The outcome for innocent people could be horrific.

It isn't doing the accusers a lot of good either. Right now the brothers and sisters are chasing after the ethnic vote (which is never going to be more than 14%) and pissing off the whites British who make up the remaining 86%.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on October 21, 2020, 08:35:09 PMThe labels gaining so much strength are 'white privelege' and with it 'unconscious racism'.

I'd like to see one of these theorists explain my "privilege" to me.

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 08:28:28 PM
Yes, that makes sense, and I now understand your comments about not taking an interest leaving people ignorant. What concerns me is that the white privilege "root cause" of black disadvantage will make more and more white people come to resent being blamed for everything sooner or later - then we really are in a bad place.

The labels gaining so much strength are 'white privelege' and with it 'unconscious racism'. Both are designed to impart guilt to all based only on race and colour. The outcome for innocent people could be horrific.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 06:32:43 PMI don't know much about the Critical Race Theory proponents other than their writings on the topic, and don't feel in a position to attribute individual motivations. What I will say is that I could easily imagine a pathway for someone with good motivations to end up at critical race theory, and if any assumptions are to be made it's that these people started from a good place and don't see how they went wrong - either through a failure of reasoning, or an inability to remove their Ego from the situation.

Yes, that makes sense, and I now understand your comments about not taking an interest leaving people ignorant. What concerns me is that the white privilege "root cause" of black disadvantage will make more and more white people come to resent being blamed for everything sooner or later - then we really are in a bad place.

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 21, 2020, 06:01:09 PM
Firstly, I owe you an apology. My response made an assumption about what I "thought" your position was, and that isn't fair. So I apologise for that - I might have a big mouth but I always apologise if I feel I was in the wrong

Thank you for the apology.

QuoteSecondly, I see your answer to Toots and I respect that - but what is your feeling about it? You've said it is a bad set of ideas, but what do you think the motivations are of the people who came up with such a patently divisive theory?

I don't know much about the Critical Race Theory proponents other than their writings on the topic, and don't feel in a position to attribute individual motivations. What I will say is that I could easily imagine a pathway for someone with good motivations to end up at critical race theory, and if any assumptions are to be made it's that these people started from a good place and don't see how they went wrong - either through a failure of reasoning, or an inability to remove their Ego from the situation.
Don't believe everything you think.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 02:21:53 PMNo, that is not what I was saying at all. I think I was clear in saying it's people that don't take an interest in it than will be trampled.

Critical Race Theory is a very bad set of ideas, and we need to take an interest in bad ideas like it in order to compose well reasoned, and persuasive arguments against it.

Firstly, I owe you an apology. My response made an assumption about what I "thought" your position was, and that isn't fair. So I apologise for that - I might have a big mouth but I always apologise if I feel I was in the wrong

Secondly, I see your answer to Toots and I respect that - but what is your feeling about it? You've said it is a bad set of ideas, but what do you think the motivations are of the people who came up with such a patently divisive theory?

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 05:35:03 PM
Wealthy parents can be a great help.

If you remember a while back barry , we ( the forum) did a thread on the nonsense of some of these" life chances statistics."

For example asian groups living in the uk were supposed to have poorer "life chances" in housing than whites , because a large amount of them live  in overcrowded housing compared to whites.

This isnt a failure of life chances for these people in the uk , its a cultural choice they make , showing the absurdity of thse statistics at times.

Another one was stop and search. Poor white glaswegians were the highest stopped and searched group in the uk at one point........not because of prejudice......but because they were the ones often commiting the crimes. As soon as this was applied to the black community in places like london.......all of a sudden it was prejudice and a sign or police racism.

While javert is hand wringing over certain statistics and fighting the cause of righteousness that gives him a warm glow inside , it s funny how the same people championing certain ethnic groups tend to forget other statistics that show white boys received worse grades than any other ethnic group or that asians were often top of the class?

Remember what sensitive steve told me......the starting point is we are all guilty of racism by simple virtue of being white , and are guilty until we can prove innocence.

Thats the mindset you are up against with these woke trendy  bandwagon jumping middle class liberal elitists like javert.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Javert on October 21, 2020, 03:47:44 PMRegardless of the conclusions, from a biological and genetic point of view, you'll struggle to find any scientists who would argue that race even exists as an evolutionary, biological or genetic concept - it's a meaningless generalisation.

The short article you quoted appears to suggest that there is some kind of deliberate act involved in this like there is some committee deciding how to subjugate people of different "race" - I doubt hardly anyone truly believes that.

You also make a direct link between this and all people who sympathise with BLM, which doesn't appear to me to be supported by anything you've provided - this is like saying all Germans were Nazis for example.

The question is how much of it is true due to the effects of sociological inertia of some kind.

The other question is, what are the alternative explanations for the proven huge discrepancies in life chances of  people who are looking a bit different from the majority population?

Heres a more in depth article

https://newdiscourses.com/2020/06/reasons-critical-race-theory-terrible-dealing-racism/

QuoteThis is a grim but fair description of Critical Race Theory, and, what's worse, it's woefully incomplete. There are other horrible ideas at the very core of Critical Race Theory that fall in this same mold that we do not have time to list here. These include the idea that racism barely gets better, if at all, that equality is a source of racism, that people who benefit from "racism" have no incentives to be against racism, that racism is a zero-sum conflict that was arranged by white people so that no one else can have a real chance in society, that the races cannot truly understand one another (while demanding that they must and that racism is the whole cause of the inevitable failure), that racially privileged people are inherently oppressors and everyone else is inherently oppressed (this is derived from Marxism applied to racial groups), and that the only way to end racism is through a social revolution that unmakes the current society entirely and replaces it with something engineered by Critical Race Theory.

Sampanviking

This CRT sounds a lot like HRT to me and for the purpose of treating very similar symptoms....

Barry

Quote from: Javert on October 21, 2020, 03:47:44 PMThe other question is, what are the alternative explanations for the proven huge discrepancies in life chances of  people who are looking a bit different from the majority population?
Wealthy parents can be a great help.
† The end is nigh †