Main Menu

This is insane!

Started by T00ts, October 21, 2020, 02:42:38 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 21, 2020, 06:06:41 PM
It's probably worth £225.00, not a thousand times that. Where would you put the snooker table?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Only a man would think of that!

Barry

It's probably worth £225.00, not a thousand times that. Where would you put the snooker table?
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2020, 05:06:08 PM
I have friends living in London and the horror stories of the housing market is unreal, they can not believe the size and affordability of houses where I live by comparison, certainly London has all  the attractions of a capital city and many of the highest level of careers available, but how anyone affords to live there (especially if they are not in a career) I have no idea.

About 10 years ago I shared a flat in Bristol with 7 other people, we each had about a 3m by 3m bedroom (considered a luxury size lol), and then shared a shower room and kitchen. The cost of the flat was a little over 4 grand a month, and then we chipped in for various utilities, i dare not imagine what the cost is to live there today.
By almost any rational appraisal property prices and rents in London are insane. What Brexit and Covid will do to the market remains to be seen, but while commercial property seems to be losing its appeal, residential property in the UK have hit a new record high and are rising at the fastest rate in four years as the housing market continues to boom.

Average London asking prices are up 0.5% since lockdown began, to £641,854, representing a cash increase of £3,209, while prices over the past year in the capital are up an inflation-busting 3.9 per cent.
https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/house-prices-surge-stamp-duty-holiday-a139406.html

But London rents have fallen by 2.8% to an average of £1,646 per month — some reportedly by 20%!
Foreign tenants moving out, and fewer moving in since the start of lockdown may have helped ease demand in London. Many renters may now feel they can do their city job from a different location, since the pandemic has caused a shift towards remote work.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/buytolet/article-8806223/Rent-costs-rise-London-people-hunt-space.html

Luckily for some landlords who rent to corporate tenants with employees from overseas, the requirement seems currently stable. Brexit could boost or subdue this sector...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

I have friends living in London and the horror stories of the housing market is unreal, they can not believe the size and affordability of houses where I live by comparison, certainly London has all  the attractions of a capital city and many of the highest level of careers available, but how anyone affords to live there (especially if they are not in a career) I have no idea.

About 10 years ago I shared a flat in Bristol with 7 other people, we each had about a 3m by 3m bedroom (considered a luxury size lol), and then shared a shower room and kitchen. The cost of the flat was a little over 4 grand a month, and then we chipped in for various utilities, i dare not imagine what the cost is to live there today.
Don't believe everything you think.

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 21, 2020, 04:25:14 PM
The Housing Act 1985 is to do with rented housing and introduced laws relating to the succession of Council Houses, and also facilitated the transfer of council housing to not-for-profit housing associations...

It does however apply to all properties.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 21, 2020, 03:16:07 PM
This applies to all properties:-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/part/X/crossheading/definition-of-overcrowding
The Housing Act 1985 is to do with rented housing and introduced laws relating to the succession of Council Houses, and also facilitated the transfer of council housing to not-for-profit housing associations...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 21, 2020, 03:09:09 PM
Those are dealing with shared and rented occupancy.
I believe what Toots was referring to was the Parker Morris standards for social (council) housing...

This applies to all properties:-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/part/X/crossheading/definition-of-overcrowding
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

T00ts

Apologies for the Daily Fail again but I just came across this. It's madness! We might as well put people in pods. I believe the Japanese do something pod like.

Years ago I believe that homes had to have a prescribed number of square yards per person, it was abolished (don't know when) but since then houses have got smaller and smaller. This is taking it to the limit surely. Would you live in it let alone pay so much for it. Would someone even get a mortgage?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8863061/Tiny-74-square-foot-flat-size-two-king-size-mattresses-Pimlico-sale-225-000.html