Why are posters now indulging in viscous personal attacks...?

Started by patman post, October 22, 2020, 02:22:12 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 22, 2020, 05:09:32 PM

I spent seven f**king months on my arse in my garden, five of them under threat of gestapo sanction if i went into the street, and youtube has quite a few videos of the gestapo happily telling people they cannot stand in their f**king FRONT GARDENS.

I was expecting a mass invasion of people from plague ridden areas into Cornwall over the school half-term break because no-one was going to take any notice of Bojo-The-Clown's "advice" for them not to travel.
However it has become clear on the last few hours that anyone letting people from plague ridden areas book a holiday in Cornwall will make their business insurance null and void.
Thank you insurance companies.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 22, 2020, 02:22:12 PM
Is it Covid — and the various restrictions it's brought about — that has turned many more posters into online bruisers and plain spiteful near trolls?

It's not only here, but also on other forums that vicious personal insults have become the mainstay of many posters.

Apart from such posturing being the hallmark of a few forum personas, this forum (and its predecessors) used to be almost comatosingly bland with mundane niceness. But now it seems to have degenerated into a junior school playground with posters just swapping insults...

OK SERIOUS answer

I spent seven fucking months on my arse in my garden, five of them under threat of gestapo sanction if i went into the street, and youtube has quite a few videos of the gestapo happily telling people they cannot stand in their fucking FRONT GARDENS.

In such an environment, it's a wonder there are not fewer bodies on the street. Being the recipient of less than parliamentary nastiness (actually, having given evidence to a select committee, QUITE PARLIAMENTARY nastiness) is the leastof your worries.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Is it Covid — and the various restrictions it's brought about — that has turned many more posters into online bruisers and plain spiteful near trolls?

It's not only here, but also on other forums that vicious personal insults have become the mainstay of many posters.

Apart from such posturing being the hallmark of a few forum personas, this forum (and its predecessors) used to be almost comatosingly bland with mundane niceness. But now it seems to have degenerated into a junior school playground with posters just swapping insults...

Well, in direct response to the subject thread and its howler of a typo, is it because they is thick ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 22, 2020, 03:10:51 PM
Most people on forums won't sue. Most don't even run whining to Admin...

Most people don't have to put put up with constant abuse, attacks, ridicule and  being ganged up on by nasty contributors with a mental age of ten.
They are frankly a disgrace and should be bloody ashamed of themselves.
(If they wish a section for people of their mental age to attack and abuse each other and leave others alone, it would be a good idea.)

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 22, 2020, 03:28:12 PM
My daughter commented just a few days ago that she thought the world had lost its mind. She doesn't do forums so must have been thinking of other evidence. Perhaps it's catching.
Tell her to keep washing her hands, wear her mask properly, and maintain personal space.

That way she'll be less likely to be accused of responding with rude gestures or having her come-back comments overheard...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 22, 2020, 03:25:18 PM
Could also be the Trump effect, and/or Brexit when posters are getting heated. But the whole spiteful antagonism has certainly reached a new fever pitch.
I see nothing wrong in goading the odd bigot (or making fun of) — even so, I don't see why it needs personalised insults to make my point...

My daughter commented just a few days ago that she thought the world had lost its mind. She doesn't do forums so must have been thinking of other evidence. Perhaps it's catching.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 22, 2020, 03:00:20 PM
I posted a while back that it would possibly be a bit of a bear pit until Nov 3rd when Mars stops being retrograde. It seems that the prophesy could have been correct. Personally I thought it was just a bit of fun - perhaps I was wrong. Interestingly it coincides with the USA election. I wonder if that is pertinent.
Could also be the Trump effect, and/or Brexit when posters are getting heated. But the whole spiteful antagonism has certainly reached a new fever pitch.
I see nothing wrong in goading the odd bigot (or making fun of) — even so, I don't see why it needs personalised insults to make my point...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 22, 2020, 03:08:27 PM
Sometimes for several decades.  (Or even longer.) Unless you happen to have the money to sue.
Most people on forums won't sue. Most don't even run whining to Admin...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 22, 2020, 03:07:04 PM
Yep — smears stick.

Sometimes for several decades.  (Or even longer.) Unless you happen to have the money to sue.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 22, 2020, 03:02:19 PM
Viscous personal attacks?
Yep — smears tend to stick.
(productive smelling again, I fear)...

papasmurf

T00ts

Why are posters now indulging in viscous personal attacks...?
« on: Today at 02:22:12 pm »
Say ThanksQuot

Apart from such posturing being the hallmark of a few forum personas, this forum (and its predecessors) used to be almost comatosingly bland with mundane niceness. But now it seems to have degenerated into a junior school playground wit posters just swapping insults...

I posted a while back that it would possibly be a bit of a bear pit until Nov 3rd when Mars stops being retrograde. It seems that the prophesy could have been correct. Personally I thought it was just a bit of fun - perhaps I was wrong. Interestingly it coincides with the USA election. I wonder if that is pertinent.

patman post