No child in the UK should go hungry

Started by Sheepy, October 24, 2020, 12:36:44 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on October 24, 2020, 12:49:32 PM
I fail to see how the state is responsible for providing free school meals during holidays. Children are the parent's responsibility, not the state.
We already provide parents with child allowance to help provide for children.

Regardless of individual circumstances, I think we should prioritise making sure these children eat, and worry about the rest later.

Of all the things a state can put its energy in error, I think feeding children would be remarkably far down the list.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

I fail to see how the state is responsible for providing free school meals during holidays. Children are the parent's responsibility, not the state.

Good point. If we were to adopt a policy of whacking any well feed parent with hungry children round the mouth with a cricket bat the problem would soon solve itself. That said, I am surprised that the government has taken so long to act. It can't be the money because it has poured telephone numbers into this flu business and it can't be ideology because there are always votes in feeding kids.

I hope Boris isn't losing his grip.
Algerie Francais !

Javert

Quote from: Barry on October 24, 2020, 12:49:32 PMI fail to see how the state is responsible for providing free school meals during holidays. Children are the parent's responsibility, not the state.

Yes - news flash.  Some parents don't look after their children properly, and in some cases the parents run out of money through various misfortunes and fall through the gap of benefits etc. 

Unfortunately many right wing and Conservative MPs and voters believe that children should be left to go hungry in order to punish the mistakes of their parents. 

I don't agree with punishing children where it's their parents that are in the wrong.

And in response to @patman post , in the ideal world, of course we would hope that the family and friends of those in need would help them.  However, if that doesn't happen, which is sometimes the case, that's where many people think there should be some kind of safety net to ensure that in the 5th richest country in the world, there are not children who don't have anything to eat.

patman post

Although Marcus Rashford may not have prompted the govt to agree to fund provision of meals over shut downs and holidays for pupils who get them in term time, he's certainly made the fuss big enough to get some local authorities and commercial organisations to do so.

Is this is something the wider community should generally be funding directly rather than always relying on central govt handouts...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

I am staying away from this thread because I am so disgusted at Tory MPs, and the usual suspects I will get barred in a flash if I respond to them.
Thankfully in Cornwall the Tory MPs have been shamed by the public response in making sure children are fed.
(A charity has been feeding around 400 children in Helston during school holidays and weekends for several years anyway.)
It come as no surprise the Tory MP still can't be found.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

LOL Good point Barry.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/peititon-free-meals-politicians-252k-signatures-143331997.html
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/554276

While the so called law makers give themselves more privileges and pay rises that they never deserve and make up job titles for more pay so they don't need to fiddle expenses. It isn't debatable it is down right criminal.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!