Starmer boosted by Labour controversy

Started by patman post, October 30, 2020, 05:26:30 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 31, 2020, 03:13:06 PM
In your dreams! Starmer has to survive 4 more years dragging his crippled party behind him. Face it Labour has had implosion disease for years and has been walking around on crutches for the last 4. Now it's in resus with little hope with current meds. Starmer is an ok doc so far but no talented surgeon and it's major surgery that's required. Let's hope he can rustle up enough PPE.

Dunno Toots.

Boris can't get any better nor Starmer get any worse, so it looks as though the Tories will have a fight on their hands.

This flu business is confusing the issue with the government knowing that whatever it does will be wrong. However, it has to burn out sooner or later and the blond moppet can concentrate on bombing Brussels, which has to be a vote winner.

On the other hand, while the left is not overly taken by Worzel's forthcoming show trial, it isn't really doing much to stop it. So Keir will have four more years to drag the brothers and sisters but to the middle ground. And that won three elections for Tony.

So it could be that politics will start to become interesting again.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Don't disagree. I was posting about now. Four years and the drag of a disunited party are just two things for Starmer to get through — it was disunity among the Tories that brought Blair.
And for Johnson there's four years and a growing disquiet among his MP's — especially those in vulnerable new seats, who are unhappy with Johnson's apparent lack of interest in the recent Red Wall conquests.
Who's to know how things will pan out in the future? I suggest the only thing we might predict from here for the next election is that it's for the Tories to lose...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2020, 03:05:39 PM
But this is hardly mid-term — only 10 months after an election where the opposition was soundly trounced.
In exceptional times of crisis such as war, national strikes and, I suggest, a world epidemic, the British public usually rally behind their leaders.
This time, either more access to information and opinion, or the perception of ineffective government (or both), added to Starmer projecting the image of a firm leader have jointly given the public a more favourable view of him than Johnson...

In your dreams! Starmer has to survive 4 more years dragging his crippled party behind him. Face it Labour has had implosion disease for years and has been walking around on crutches for the last 4. Now it's in resus with little hope with current meds. Starmer is an ok doc so far but no talented surgeon and it's major surgery that's required. Let's hope he can rustle up enough PPE.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 31, 2020, 12:51:39 PM
It always happens mid term and these are exceptional times.
But this is hardly mid-term — only 10 months after an election where the opposition was soundly trounced.
In exceptional times of crisis such as war, national strikes and, I suggest, a world epidemic, the British public usually rally behind their leaders.
This time, either more access to information and opinion, or the perception of ineffective government (or both), added to Starmer projecting the image of a firm leader have jointly given the public a more favourable view of him than Johnson...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on October 31, 2020, 12:56:25 PM
For the last few weeks the pinned tweet on the Tory party twitter account was:

"Labour have admitted wanting repeated national lockdown - our approach will keep the country and its regions moving".

This has now been deleted this morning. 

The worst thing about it is, I do actually suspect that Downing Street have known for some time that they would have to do a major lockdown around November.

Why wouldn't they just tell us that to start with ?  Well firstly, they are fighting an war with their own party (as per usual).

Secondly, I suspect that they believe (possibly correctly), that most people don't pay attention to the news of yesterday let alone last week, and that most people are stupid, so they always assume that nobody will even remember that they insisted there would never be another lockdown last week and all the weeks before.

This government is run as a PR response machine and not an actual government in the traditional sense - their only and main concern is image and PR.

I guess it goes without saying that I don't agree. There are no definites in the situation with Covid. We have a population so focused on their rights with little to no regard for their responsibilities that I would imagine that the Government is tearing their hair out trying to stick to something that will motivate even the idiots. I will repeat that no matter who you have  in Downing St they would be doing little different. They tried shutting everything down and it hasn't worked. They are trying to balance economy with health and are finding that with little help of some of the public they are fighting a losing battle.
The next thing will be that no-one with Covid will go to hospital because there is no room and if they die so be it. The population, the 'Oh so clever' pundits, the keyboard warriors and those with little between the eras are all calling their own tunes to the complete destruction of society. It will now be what it will be and we will only have ourselves to blame.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts on October 31, 2020, 12:51:39 PM

For the last few weeks the pinned tweet on the Tory party twitter account was:

"Labour have admitted wanting repeated national lockdown - our approach will keep the country and its regions moving".

This has now been deleted this morning. 

The worst thing about it is, I do actually suspect that Downing Street have known for some time that they would have to do a major lockdown around November.

Why wouldn't they just tell us that to start with ?  Well firstly, they are fighting an war with their own party (as per usual).

Secondly, I suspect that they believe (possibly correctly), that most people don't pay attention to the news of yesterday let alone last week, and that most people are stupid, so they always assume that nobody will even remember that they insisted there would never be another lockdown last week and all the weeks before.

This government is run as a PR response machine and not an actual government in the traditional sense - their only and main concern is image and PR.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on October 31, 2020, 12:34:43 PM
Well it's a bit embarrassing to the Tories to go from a 25+ point poll lead to a -5 trailing Labour in less than a year.

Javert

Well it's a bit embarrassing to the Tories to go from a 25+ point poll lead to a -5 trailing Labour in less than a year.

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on October 30, 2020, 05:26:30 PM
Sir Kier Starmer was boosted today as Labour rocketed to a five-point lead over the Conservatives.

Labour are ahead in the Ipsos MORI survey for the first time since Boris Johnson became Prime Minister, enjoying their best score since March 2018.

At the same time, the Prime Minister appears to have stumbled over recent controversies, with his personal ratings and the Government's scores for handling the coronavirus pandemic both dipping in the survey for the Evening Standard.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-poll-keir-starmer-boris-johnson-b27236.html

Tough plays well with voters who don't like secret movements controlling their political parties..
Rocketed as in in a world of their own in outer space maybe? Because they sure don't live in this world.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Sir Kier Starmer was boosted today as Labour rocketed to a five-point lead over the Conservatives.

Labour are ahead in the Ipsos MORI survey for the first time since Boris Johnson became Prime Minister, enjoying their best score since March 2018.

At the same time, the Prime Minister appears to have stumbled over recent controversies, with his personal ratings and the Government's scores for handling the coronavirus pandemic both dipping in the survey for the Evening Standard.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-poll-keir-starmer-boris-johnson-b27236.html

Tough plays well with voters who don't like secret movements controlling their political parties..