LOCKDOWN 2 - the November experience

Started by Barry, October 31, 2020, 08:00:06 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Barry on February 20, 2021, 07:48:39 PMLockdowns did nothing, or they would be obvious.This is herd immunity.
Herd immunity means that enough of the population has either been vaccinated or gained immunity through natural infection to stifle the spread of the virus.
Lockdowns play their part by reducing the spread of infection until the results of vaccination programmes kick in...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Should this be in the joke section?
After he made it illegal to meet your family or sit on a park bench.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

I went out for a walk this morning and happened to meet up with some people we know. Seems many people were doing the same, walkers, hikers, joggers, cyclists, lots of cars and busiest I've seen it since before Christmas.

People can read the figures for themselves, many have been vaccinated and they are making their own decisions.

I hope Boris takes common sense into account tomorrow and takes political decisions to get this country firing on all cylinders, rather than being hamstrung by SAGE who seem to have ulterior motives and financial connections. I won't even mention their politics.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Lockdowns did nothing, or they would be obvious.
This is herd immunity.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Here is evidence that lockdowns in the UK did not make an ounce of difference.
Yet we are still in lockdown.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Now into the 4th month of the November 4 week lockdown and the government still have no exit strategy.
The suggestion from one report I read today is that restrictions may be lifted when people stop dying in hospital.
So, don't hold your breath.

Even the oldies are getting sick of all this:
They are saying if they've had a jab they'll be meeting up with family. Their risk, their decision as they are very mature adults.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 14, 2021, 10:34:16 AM

I really don't understand how some who are determined to convince others that there is no problem can simply ignore the thousands currently hospitalised, with the concern that there simply won't be enough capacity for those yet to get infected.

Fear of the truth. Cognitive Dissonance. Locally since a large number of ambulances rocked up outside a nursing home then the Ambulance staff entered the nursing home wearing what I can only describe as Porton suits, both the pedestrian and vehicular traffic outside my home has reduced to zero apart from a few dog walkers and delivery vans.
When the naysayers realise it could be them next there is a change of heart.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Don't you think you are missing a point here? How many are taken ill at home who really don't fancy going to hospital where they fear the risk of infection? With so much essential concentration on Covid many hospitals simply don't have the capacity to take in those that they normally would. This morning's news focussed on St Mary's(?) in London which has had to turn over it's children's intensive care ward. They are full with 13 on ventilation 12 of whom are in induced comas.

I really don't understand how some who are determined to convince others that there is no problem can simply ignore the thousands currently hospitalised, with the concern that there simply won't be enough capacity for those yet to get infected. Lockdown is not about stopping the virus it's about slowing it enough to be able to treat those that need it. Hopefully the vaccine will turn the tide but I think it borders on cruelty to advocate no lockdowns or minimise the threat of Covid - perhaps you have been lucky in recovering - but we have no idea how many will need more help than you. How can anyone justify opening the floodgates and risking a position where treatment/care is unavailable. It horrifies me.

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on January 13, 2021, 11:42:08 PM
Lockdowns don't work, but they do cause greater numbers of deaths at home.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/12/more-than-40000-extra-deaths-at-home-in-england-and-wales-since-pandemic-began/

While the statement is true - more people are indeed dying at home - this is counterbalanced by the fact less ate dying in hospitals to which they would have been taken for treatment.

A point I think worth pondering is how many of those might have survived if treated on hospital...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on January 09, 2021, 09:32:31 PM
Isn't that caused by the self isolation policy? Not through sickness?

Both.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on January 09, 2021, 09:42:24 PM
So nursing and other medical staff self isolate when they've been in contact with Covid sufferers?
It's a wonder there's any reporting for duty if that's so....

I don't know if they do.

I could I suppose find out from my next door neighbour

But I suspect the post was referring to the 10 day isolation if you have symptoms. After all, it's not as if the NHS staff have a lot fevoutside A &E - if you believe the hype.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on January 09, 2021, 09:32:31 PM
So nursing and other medical staff self isolate when they've been in contact with Covid sufferers?
It's a wonder there's any reporting for duty if that's so....
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on January 09, 2021, 06:51:40 PMBut judging by the current staff shortages in care homes, the NHS, Police, Fire Service, caused by Covid, such reasoning doesn't appear to stack up...
† The end is nigh †