Have we become a dictatorship?

Started by T00ts, November 01, 2020, 11:11:56 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on November 01, 2020, 12:25:17 PMIn passing, just had a call from one of the sisters in law. Ex nurse, highly competent, foul temper and with a heart of gold. She has advised us not to go into a hospital because they are full of sick people and we might catch something nasty.
Aren't hospitals meant to treat sick people?

Round here (and elsewhere, I thought) the advice is not to ignore serious accidents, illness, or worsening symptoms, but to seek advice and/or treatment through the regular channels.
An additional caveat is not to turn up at A&E with flu or Covid symptoms, but to call NHS 111 and follow directions from them...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 01, 2020, 12:38:00 PM
That  could of course be very good advice but totally contrary to what the NHS is telling us.

Exactly. It is good advice. :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on November 01, 2020, 12:25:17 PM
I never had as much luck with the girls as I would have liked, but what lad has? On the other hand I was always ready to help them with their maths homework so I got by.

As far as I can see, Boris sees himself as a benevolent dictator handing brisk dictates every five minutes. The police don't enforce the regulations because they know that they risk being told to f**k off and lose what little respect they have. So by and large most of us look at BoJo, think sad bastard but the best of a piss poor field, and continue with our lives, unhindered by anything the government might do or say.

In passing, just had a call from one of the sisters in law. Ex nurse, highly competent, foul temper and with a heart of gold. She has advised us not to go into a hospital because they are full of sick people and we might catch something nasty.  :)

That  could of course be very good advice but totally contrary to what the NHS is telling us. Mind she doesn't get the sack for speaking out of turn!

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 01, 2020, 11:43:39 AM
No, I think we've been taken over by a group of scientists, mathematicians and bar graph zealots, who have calculated to the sixteenth million decimal place how many people will die each minute between now and the 12th of never if we don't all do as they say. Kind of Beelbeeb on steroids. The kind of beta males who sat at the front of the class in school, who never had a girlfriend, were rubbish at any kind of sport and couldn't fight their way out of a scrunched up tissue. They've hypnotised Johnson with equations and pie charts, and they are now holding the entire cabinet hostage

This is their revenge on society. Sad ****s

I never had as much luck with the girls as I would have liked, but what lad has? On the other hand I was always ready to help them with their maths homework so I got by.

As far as I can see, Boris sees himself as a benevolent dictator handing brisk dictates every five minutes. The police don't enforce the regulations because they know that they risk being told to F@@@ off and lose what little respect they have. So by and large most of us look at BoJo, think sad bastard but the best of a piss poor field, and continue with our lives, unhindered by anything the government might do or say.

In passing, just had a call from one of the sisters in law. Ex nurse, highly competent, foul temper and with a heart of gold. She has advised us not to go into a hospital because they are full of sick people and we might catch something nasty.  :)
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

No, I think we've been taken over by a group of scientists, mathematicians and bar graph zealots, who have calculated to the sixteenth million decimal place how many people will die each minute between now and the 12th of never if we don't all do as they say. Kind of Beelbeeb on steroids. The kind of beta males who sat at the front of the class in school, who never had a girlfriend, were rubbish at any kind of sport and couldn't fight their way out of a scrunched up tissue. They've hypnotised Johnson with equations and pie charts, and they are now holding the entire cabinet hostage

This is their revenge on society. Sad ****s

Barry

It is almost dictatorial, whilst also being corrupt with the leak to Peston, who must be Dom's best mate or something similar.
When we give a government an 80 seat majority it does allow for decisive and strong governance. The downside is that they can do as they like for 5 years.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I am reading comments criticising how actions to contend with Covid are being made. Some are claiming that dictators have taken over the country and the rest of us are not even noticing. Really?

Last night BJ apologised that he had been bounced into announcing Thursday's shut down because the plans had been leaked. He claimed that he had expected to announce them to parliament on Monday and then to the country. Complaints that these major decisions are being made by just 4 people around a table are suggesting that this is no way to allow decisions and that it amounts to dictatorship..

I am not so sure and think this is again pundits/media stirring an already messy pudding simply to cause trouble. I agree that there needs to be something done about procedure and leaking the details is really off, but on the other hand there seems to be so much fear that we 'are not being told the truth' and that feeds the need to prise whatever indiscriminate information they can from loose lips.

It seems to me that we have a choice. Already many are running around like headless chickens begrudging politicians the role we elected them to in an effort to retain freedoms at the cost of everyone else. Or, we tow the line for however long it takes, watch the outcome and use our ballot to make comment at the right time. For me that is democracy.