Gunfight at Trump Tower...?

Started by patman post, November 07, 2020, 06:45:53 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Javert on November 09, 2020, 04:50:59 PMNot to mention you cannot give a blanket pardon for any future offence you might be charged with.  My understanding is that it can only be done to someone who was already convicted of something by the person who is currently president.

That wasn't the case for Nixon - as far as I understand it he was given a pardon for any charges that would be brought against him for actions he took during his term as president, before any charges had actually been made.
Don't believe everything you think.

Javert

Quote from: Nalaar on November 08, 2020, 09:31:52 AM
The Supreme Court has yet to rule on whether or not a president can pardon themselves, I'm not sure trump would want to take that risk - I think if this was his plan he would instead step aside and let Pence become President, and he would then Pardon Vice-President trump from future prosecution, à la Nixon being pardoned to protect him from Watergate scandal. Quite how willing Pence is to declare that Trump is legally above tax law including in the years before he became president is another issue.

It is also worth noting that the presidential pardon is a federal tool, and can not be used to interfere with legal operations at the State level. I do not know if any of the NY prosecutors planned charges are for breaking State Law.

Not to mention you cannot give a blanket pardon for any future offence you might be charged with.  My understanding is that it can only be done to someone who was already convicted of something by the person who is currently president.

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar on November 08, 2020, 11:14:05 AM
Trump was impeached, but not convicted. He had allot of help from the Republican apparatus to keep him in power, it is unclear to me how far this apparatus would (and could) assist trump now that he's lost them the presidency.
It is unclear to me why the left insisted on an impeachment when they had not the evidence to convict.
There will be lots of huffing and puffing, but I'll eat my "MAGA" hat if the Donald goes to prison, or even gets convicted of anything more than a parking fine.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on November 08, 2020, 10:52:25 AM
How did the impeachment go?
Presidents and ex-presidents are Teflon, everyone knows that.

Trump was impeached, but not convicted. He had allot of help from the Republican apparatus to keep him in power, it is unclear to me how far this apparatus would (and could) assist trump now that he's lost them the presidency.

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar on November 07, 2020, 10:44:04 PM
Civil and Criminal charges relating to tax, and fraud.

The New York prosecutor has been quite public in the last few months about getting trumps tax records and banking history. The President is currently protected by 'Qualified Immunity'. The day he steps out of office, he's not.

Some more details - https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/ny-s-attorney-general-one-most-powerful-nation-should-worry-n985086
How did the impeachment go?
Presidents and ex-presidents are Teflon, everyone knows that.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 08, 2020, 09:08:39 AM
He could of course give himself a presidential pardon which would get the legal bods arguing for years to come .

The Supreme Court has yet to rule on whether or not a president can pardon themselves, I'm not sure trump would want to take that risk - I think if this was his plan he would instead step aside and let Pence become President, and he would then Pardon Vice-President trump from future prosecution, à la Nixon being pardoned to protect him from Watergate scandal. Quite how willing Pence is to declare that Trump is legally above tax law including in the years before he became president is another issue.

It is also worth noting that the presidential pardon is a federal tool, and can not be used to interfere with legal operations at the State level. I do not know if any of the NY prosecutors planned charges are for breaking State Law.

Streetwalker

The New York prosecutor has been quite public in the last few months about getting trumps tax records and banking history. The President is currently protected by 'Qualified Immunity'. The day he steps out of office, he's not.

Some more details - https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/ny-s-attorney-general-one-most-powerful-nation-should-worry-n985086

He could of course give himself a presidential pardon which would get the legal bods arguing for years to come .

HDQQ

The New York prosecutor has been quite public in the last few months about getting trumps tax records and banking history. The President is currently protected by %u2018Qualified Immunity%u2019. The day he steps out of office, he%u2019s not.

Which is why I think there might be attempts to remove him from office now, with Pence taking over as caretaker until January. If Trump stays in the top job until January there's no telling what damage he could do. If anyone has the 'if I go down, then I'll take as many others down with me' mentality, it's Trump.  If he sees starting a major international crisis as a way of diverting attention or hanging onto power or even revenge against his own country, he'll do it. That's why he needs to be removed from office now, not in January. This is for the sake of the wider world, not just the USA.

Even if none of the above happens, I doubt if Trump will do anything constructive in his remaining weeks, he'll just play dog in the manger on the basis that the people rejected him so why should he do anything for them.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on November 07, 2020, 10:29:21 PM
For what would he be prosecuted, then, Nalaar?
Being an utter pratt is not an offence, is it? Bringing the USA into disrepute, no, don't think so.

Barry

For what would he be prosecuted, then, Nalaar?
Being an utter pratt is not an offence, is it? Bringing the USA into disrepute, no, don't think so.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

I would not be surprised to see that trump is going to spend a reasonable amount of energy in his last 2 months trying to make himself immune from future prosecution, whether he will have any legal ground to stand on idk, but I'd assume he wouldn't want to take the risk given how many of his advisors over the last 4 years have been convicted.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on November 07, 2020, 08:26:08 PM
It's now been declared that Jo Biden is certain to win the presidential election and so all being well he'll be inaugurated as President in January. But isn't it a bit premature calling him the 46th president? He could well be the 47th.
Trump's behaviour during the count has been so beyond the pale that he must be seen as a liability by most politicians in his own party. Will he be forced from office ASAP by congress, meaning that Mike Pence becomes the 46th president, even if it is only for 10 weeks?

Or even the 55th if we remember that Washington was the 9th
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

It's now been declared that Jo Biden is certain to win the presidential election and so all being well he'll be inaugurated as President in January. But isn't it a bit premature calling him the 46th president? He could well be the 47th.
Trump's behaviour during the count has been so beyond the pale that he must be seen as a liability by most politicians in his own party. Will he be forced from office ASAP by congress, meaning that Mike Pence becomes the 46th president, even if it is only for 10 weeks?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

New York Attorney General Warns Trump She's Coming For Him After Election

On MSNBC this past weekend, New York Attorney General Letitia James had some terrifying words for Donald Trump. She reminded him that once this election is over, and especially if he loses, she's coming for him and there's nothing he can do to stop it. Trump has managed to delay investigations from all sorts of entities because he is President, but if he loses today, those protections disappear.
https://trofire.com/2020/11/05/new-york-attorney-general-warns-trump-shes-coming-for-him-after-election/
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/ny-ag-serves-notice-to-trump-on-msnbc-shes-coming-after-him-and-his-family-after-the-election/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalVideos/comments/jnhp8s/new_york_attorney_general_warns_trump_shes_coming/

But I guess leaving without too much of a fuss if charges are dropped could be a deal Trump is seeking...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...