Re:AI and will it make our lives safer

Started by Nalaar, November 06, 2020, 12:11:36 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2020, 01:42:45 PM
Frankly he did not know whether to laugh or cry and was hurt he had such mixed feelings.

I'm sure he was and my heart goes out to him. I too have been in that position and would certainly describe it as a tragedy.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on November 06, 2020, 01:37:12 PM
Ofcourse the questions are difficult.

An AI car having a break failure and having to compute multiple possible life and death scenarios for the most desired outcome is absolutely a real world problem, whether you acknowledge it or not.

That's what I find the most disconcerting. I don't understand why someone of your intelligence just calmly accepts that this is inevitable. You have no questions other than which choice to make. Should we succumb to whatever is offered just because science describes it as necessary, or progress? To hand over matters of life and death to a microchip.... I just cannot understand.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 01:39:10 PM
I don't think I believe that. He might consider her death a release for his wife and that I understand totally, but surely from his point of view he must have felt something more than relief.

Frankly he did not know whether to laugh or cry and was hurt he had such mixed feelings.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2020, 01:29:25 PM
A friend of mine more or less camped alongside his wife' s hospital bed whilst took several weeks to die.  He didn't think his wife's death was tragic.

I don't think I believe that. He might consider her death a release for his wife and that I understand totally, but surely from his point of view he must have felt something more than relief.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 01:13:21 PMThe people putting out this sort of questionnaire realise full well just how difficult - and yes I would say immoral  - these questions are. They absolve their own guilt by spreading the decision in this way. They can then justify their ultimate decision by showing a majority. These are not real world problems. They are human vanity at it's very worst encouraged by the evil which so many in this world refuses to recognise. I have absolutely no wish to be 'helpful' as you describe it and would question just who you think would benefit from any answers I might give.

Ofcourse the questions are difficult.

An AI car having a break failure and having to compute multiple possible life and death scenarios for the most desired outcome is absolutely a real world problem, whether you acknowledge it or not.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 12:58:21 PM
You do post some pretty dreadful things but that has to be near the worst.

A friend of mine more or less camped alongside his wife' s hospital bed whilst she took several weeks to die.  He didn't think his wife's death was tragic.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on November 06, 2020, 01:04:02 PM
These are real world problems that will require answers, ignoring them or deliberating over the 'lowness' of the question are not helpful answers.

The people putting out this sort of questionnaire realise full well just how difficult - and yes I would say immoral  - these questions are. They absolve their own guilt by spreading the decision in this way. They can then justify their ultimate decision by showing a majority. These are not real world problems. They are human vanity at it's very worst encouraged by the evil which so many in this world refuses to recognise. I have absolutely no wish to be 'helpful' as you describe it and would question just who you think would benefit from any answers I might give.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 12:29:30 PMI was stupid enough to look at this assuming it would be possible to view it purely academically. It wasn't. It makes me weep that we have sunk so low.

These are real world problems that will require answers, ignoring them or deliberating over the 'lowness' of the question are not helpful answers.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2020, 12:41:14 PM
Whether a death is tragic or not depends on who has died.

You do post some pretty dreadful things but that has to be near the worst. Whoever dies there will those who love them who will hurt to their very core. No-one, least of all us, can determine who is more important than another. Everyone is important. I am hoping that you didn't mean it as it came across.

papasmurf

Whether a death is tragic or not depends on who has died.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on November 06, 2020, 12:11:36 PM
Related to this thread MIT are currently collecting data on how individuals think AI cars should respond in worst case scenarios, like the following.

You will be presented with a mix of 13 scenarios to judge, the changing metrics include the number of people, their age, weight, and status, also whether or not they are crossing on red or green lights etc.

If you're interested the test  is here https://www.moralmachine.net/

I was stupid enough to look at this assuming it would be possible to view it purely academically. It wasn't. It makes me weep that we have sunk so low.

Nalaar

Related to this thread MIT are currently collecting data on how individuals think AI cars should respond in worst case scenarios, like the following.

You will be presented with a mix of 13 scenarios to judge, the changing metrics include the number of people, their age, weight, and status, also whether or not they are crossing on red or green lights etc.

If you're interested the test  is here https://www.moralmachine.net/