Prison or Eton: which costs more?

Started by Dynamis, November 08, 2020, 01:29:55 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on November 08, 2020, 02:11:43 PM
As the grandmother of a boy at Eton I find it surprising and even hurtful that, even in jest, anyone can suggest that they should be lynched. If you had a child with the ability to benefit from the superb education that Eton offers, whose fees go towards not only multiple scholarships for other able boys without the funds and also to local schools no doubt you would resent his ability too.

And they took several other schools under their wing and improved them as I pointed out.

I think it was really tough in the past, but has improved in the 00's.

To be fair, the soylent green stuff was so ridiculous I didn't think anyone would be touched by it.

And I think JoG would hang 75% of the country including all the compo kids if he had a chance too  :D :D ...and I never speak in his defence so that's a first..
+++

T00ts

As the grandmother of a boy at Eton I find it surprising and even hurtful that, even in jest, anyone can suggest that they should be lynched. If you had a child with the ability to benefit from the superb education that Eton offers, whose fees go towards not only multiple scholarships for other able boys without the funds and also to local schools no doubt you would resent his ability too.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 08, 2020, 01:43:41 PM
the damage done to the country by those released from each, however, is i suspect the other way up
I'd say what we need to do is hang all inmates of each, now...

What if we feed them to each other and they get eton in prison?

That's the effect of watching 5 minutes of prisoner cell block H. Just don't do it folks.

Anyway, aside from the soylent green stuff and the charming Sunday posting, it's clear that Norway's prison system yields least recidivism.

And Finland & Japan's school systems are the best in the world. From what I recall - the Finns and Noriges treat people really really well and basically give them everything.

Kinda like Eton under the tenure of Tony Little who seemed pretty alright. I don't really have any great hatred towards Eton kids and it reformed significantly under him from what I heard, I then heard he was so good they took several other schools, compos, under their wing.

Not sure what objections people have to this. He seemed pretty decent as did their system. As for Eton kids and the sort of stuff people post about them, why would you hate a poor kid just because he's born into wealth? Many of them are 'posh nerds' as someone once put it, or just normalish, they don't deserve to be lumped in with the minority of bullies I think.

+++

johnofgwent

the damage done to the country by those released from each, however, is i suspect the other way up
I'd say what we need to do is hang all inmates of each, now...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

WHAT WAS CLAIMED
It's significantly more expensive to send a child to prison than it is to send them to Eton.

OUR VERDICT
Correct. In 2016/17 the average annual price per place for children in custody ranged from £76,000 to £210,000. The full annual fee to send a child to Eton in 2018/19 is just over £40,000.

https://fullfact.org/crime/prison-or-eton-which-costs-more/

Good to see our priorities are straight in this country. 🤔
+++