Prison or Eton: which costs more?

Started by Dynamis, November 08, 2020, 01:29:55 PM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on November 08, 2020, 09:16:33 PM
Didn't you have a pretty good discussion with Javert the other day? Inbetween the ritual slagging off, I think you agree with a fair bit of what he opines sometimes.

https://pol-tics.com/index.php/topic,2099.msg43903.html#msg43903

We know you're a nice guy really, you can unstrap your punk stratocaster now.  :D

To quote part of that reply -

"What may help some, may not work with others"

I agree. I think the Norwegian prison system has the lowest rates of recidivism and is the best model; but it looks like they really mollycoddle prisoners and focus on rehabilitation.. on peopke like Anders Behring Breivik that's useless (or Greta..) so we shouln't use that for everyone.

A colchester glasshouse type arrangement for him and people who do very serious crimes might be more appropriate and cost less, and may even earn your approval. I think John Major tried that with youth offenders in the 90's and it was a mixed success, but it might be worth trialling on older folks, who knows. I'd rather trial different options and see which works best.

I actually quite like Javert, even though he annoys the feck out of me. But don't tell him  ;)

DC. Detention centres. Short sharp shock" I think they called it. It depends I guess. For some, if it has the effect of stopping them going on to become hardened criminals, then it's worth it.

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on November 08, 2020, 06:03:11 PM"

No, you should be chancellor, you said you'd make the country like China, also you have a firm grasp on geography too, I learnt Cheshire West is in Merseyside today. 

Make the country like China?

And where did 'I' say Cheshire West was in Merseyside? I live in Merseyside unfortunately.  Think you'll find it was a BBC link.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 08, 2020, 07:15:30 PM
Ok, yeah I get that. But tbf, the cost of jailing someone is always going to more than educating them. That said, I generally don't subscribe to the Javert school of liberalism. Sure there are degrees, but there are some people you just can't help. Are we really saying that all criminals can be rehabilitated, if only we throw enough money at it (or equating it to the amount spent on private education)? Or it is that the people making these kind of suggestions are really wanting to feel better about themselves (not to suggest that whats you are doing btw)

God. I fecking detest liberals.

Didn't you have a pretty good discussion with Javert the other day? Inbetween the ritual slagging off, I think you agree with a fair bit of what he opines sometimes.

https://pol-tics.com/index.php/topic,2099.msg43903.html#msg43903

We know you're a nice guy really, you can unstrap your punk stratocaster now.  :D

To quote part of that reply -

"What may help some, may not work with others"

I agree. I think the Norwegian prison system has the lowest rates of recidivism and is the best model; but it looks like they really mollycoddle prisoners and focus on rehabilitation.. on peopke like Anders Behring Breivik that's useless (or Greta..) so we shouln't use that for everyone.

A colchester glasshouse type arrangement for him and people who do very serious crimes might be more appropriate and cost less, and may even earn your approval. I think John Major tried that with youth offenders in the 90's and it was a mixed success, but it might be worth trialling on older folks, who knows. I'd rather trial different options and see which works best.
+++

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on November 08, 2020, 06:19:27 PMSeriously though, I didn't specify anything other than it's ridiculous, what's with spending up to 210,000 per prisoner per year?

That to me is completely absurd.

Ok, yeah I get that. But tbf, the cost of jailing someone is always going to more than educating them. That said, I generally don't subscribe to the Javert school of liberalism. Sure there are degrees, but there are some people you just can't help. Are we really saying that all criminals can be rehabilitated, if only we throw enough money at it (or equating it to the amount spent on private education)? Or it is that the people making these kind of suggestions are really wanting to feel better about themselves (not to suggest that whats you are doing btw)

God. I fecking detest liberals.

Sheepy

I guess you are making it up as you go along then Dyno, got a screenshot where I said I worked for GCHQ? You lot usually take them.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

Hey!

You two can't have a fight without inviting me  :D :D :D

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Sheepy on November 08, 2020, 06:40:08 PM
Beats a Canadian plastic paddy. Who knows what any of them will be next.

You mean the sockpuppets that in all probability are either you or pappy or his stupid mates at the disability hate campaign?

Good luck carrying the trend on, and remember you asked to be taken the piss out of by starting to insult me.    ;D

Who are you anyway? You say you're from Hastings then you say you work at GCHQ, I know the sort of people who work there and you are a liar boy.  ;D

So what are you up to, go on don't be coy?
+++

Borg Refinery

A Brit at Canberra airport get asked at customs desk if he has a criminal record.

"No, " He answers, puzzled, "I thought it wasn't required anymore."

To the criminals who stole my calendar

I hope you both get six months!

Grin for the mugshot Sheep :D

+++

Sheepy

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 08, 2020, 05:56:14 PM
He'll realise later when he needs someone younger to change his nappy  :D

Anyway General, I'm not entirely sure what the conclusion is? Are we saying that instead of sending our "more problematic younger members of society" to prison, we should send them to Eton instead? I can see that ending well  :D

Have you suddenly become a bleeding heart liberal?
Beats a Canadian plastic paddy. Who knows what any of them will be next.

Borg Refinery

A police description of a drunk French geezer with his missus and kids around Wellington Place.  ;D

What do you call a snobbish criminal going down the stairs?
A condescending con descending.
+++

Sheepy

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Sheepy on November 08, 2020, 05:53:52 PM
Dyno has zero chance of Eton

so has 100% better chance of being in young offenders., or at the very least any of Dynos offspring are 100% more likely to be young offenders than Etonians. So I doubt he will want to rock the boat.

Wow, you're really trying hard aren't you and you're angry.  ;D

Aren't you the one who goes around headbutting students and threatening people?  ;D

I guess that's typical of drunken frenchmen in Hastings who are bitter they can't get ikto the English oublic school system, as for your offspring, I hear the pastures of Sedlescombe aren't too bad and there's a decent farm nursery there.  ;D
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 08, 2020, 05:56:14 PM
He'll realise later when he needs someone younger to change his nappy  :D

Anyway General, I'm not entirely sure what the conclusion is? Are we saying that instead of sending our "more problematic younger members of society" to prison, we should send them to Eton instead? I can see that ending well  :D

Have you suddenly become a bleeding heart liberal?

I'm saying this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo

"If all the Eton Tories that went to Harrow school had gone to comprehensives then perhaps we'd still have the grammar schools actually (claps self)"

----

Seriously though, I didn't specify anything other than it's ridiculous, what's with spending up to 210,000 per prisoner per year?

That to me is completely absurd.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2020, 05:48:54 PM
1) He didn't follow their advice to the letter though did he.

No, he mixed it with some information from economic ministers so as not to tank the economy.

A little information is a dangerous thing, hey maybe that's why the economy did 'tank'.

"2) ??? I imagined it then? I put 3 ? Which was changed to a emoji, I was asking for more info. "

https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+care+homes+scandal&oq=uk+care+homes+scandal&aqs=chrome..69i57.6292j0j7&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

"3) Which was about to rise anyway as he promised to spend loads on giveaways didn't he? Mainly to his voters and rich Tory councils. And 'flying up' isn't any description. It wasn't, it's built on an economic bubble which was due to burst with or without COBID, partly cos of the overheated housing market.

The give always were to be paid for with EU savings so no, it wasn't about to go up without covid. "

Did you even bother reading the fact checks?

"Think you should be chancellor, you seem to know what is going to happen way before anyone else.... Or you're talking bollox. 🤔 "

No, you should be chancellor, you said you'd make the country like China, also you have a firm grasp on geography too, I learnt Cheshire West is in Merseyside today.  ;D

"4) He said he'd delay Brexit decisions until he sees whether Biden or Trump's elected or are you saying he didn't?

In which dictionary does delay mean Renege? I can't comment further until you post a link showing the statement. "

You don't even read the links and ignore the points made, talking at me rather than to, so it seems moot.

"5) Subjective emotive rhetoric while kids are hungry. So parents don't have to take parental responsibility? It's down to the government to cover for crap parents is it?"

Being a mob lawyer and inventing people's beliefs for them and telling them what they believe is a useful skill. ;)

Quote6) Worst pensioner poverty in western europe IIRC.

Think you should look at the level of personal pension contributions in Europe. Seems you expect the most out by paying the least in, well it doesn't work like that.

Like I said..mob lawyering, inventing stuff etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/18/elderly-poverty-risen-fivefold-since-80s-pensions

Try to respond only to what folks write, not what you'd like them to have written in persona of Dick Dastardly as a pensioner or whatever floats your lifeboat.   :D
+++