Main Menu

DDA 25 years on

Started by johnofgwent, November 09, 2020, 07:34:07 AM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 09, 2020, 09:32:26 PM

Again, the point is the DDA is not a right to be treated equally, it is a statement requiring "reasonable" (quite undefined, that, and utterly untested in law) EXTRA measures to be taken by employers ...

Well the DDA (and it's successor the equality act) seem to be doing what they're intended to do.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on November 09, 2020, 07:06:02 PM
Exceptional treatment?
The disability discrimination is about as basic as it gets, what do you think is "exceptional" about it?

If I remember correctly you have diabetes? (Apologies if that's incorrect) which puts you under the protection of disability discrimination.

Again, the point is the DDA is not a right to be treated equally, it is a statement requiring "reasonable" (quite undefined, that, and utterly untested in law) EXTRA measures to be taken by employers ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 09, 2020, 01:22:44 PMMy point was when the f**k did this country become so ... weakened that 22% of its population are disabled enough to demand exceptional treatment under this law.

Exceptional treatment?
The disability discrimination is about as basic as it gets, what do you think is "exceptional" about it?

If I remember correctly you have diabetes? (Apologies if that's incorrect) which puts you under the protection of disability discrimination.

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 09, 2020, 07:34:07 AM
Looking at the BBC news page this morning for my dayorder instructing me what I must as a white hetetosexual male feel guilty about today, I came across a fascinating throwaway story

It is apparently 25 years since the Disability Discrimination Act came about.

The BBC naturally jumped on the opportunity to highlight the people who have made it their lifetimes mission to benefit from this legislation.

The Baroness whose wheelchair is a shitload comfier now it's lined with ermine. The lawyer whose done very well for himself. And the CEO of some outfit who demand to see a company's "disability credentials" before they'll do business with them ...

It's this guy who had the most interesting thing to say though ...

"After all" he says "we make up 22% of the population"

WTF ?

HOW ??

How the hell did the UK sink to the point where two out of nine of its entire population are able to call upon the disability discrimination act ?

I freely admit we have had much greater success in the Paralympics since Blair instigated his warmongering, but we don't have THAT large an army.
It's not a requirement that disabled people have crutches, wheelchairs, guide dogs, etc.
Those with heart problems, COPD, mental impairment, can find their lives impossible without assistance and/or special facilities — while not necessarily being obviously draped with disability aids.

Scope says there are 13.9 million disabled people in the UK...
www.scope.org.uk/media/disability-facts-figures/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 09, 2020, 01:22:44 PM
Yes it is.

My point was when the f**k did this country become so ... weakened that 22% of its population are disabled enough to demand exceptional treatment under this law.

Because the equality act and disability discrimination act are nothing to do with people being treated EQUALLY but are in fact the legitimisation and enshrinement in law of the requirement they are treated BETTER than 'ordinary' people in order that their disability can be accommodated.

I've no problem with that apart from the fact some people think it is their God given right. It isn't. We only have to go as far as we consider 'reasonable' in the additional things we do, which we do not have to do for anyone not able to look to this act for legitimacy of their demands ...

It's a matter of viewpoint.

It's very important that the reality is accepted on both sides.

Fair enough John ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on November 09, 2020, 09:45:03 AM
Well all I can say John isn't it good that we should recognise and try to alleviate the problems say someone confined to a wheelchair faces?

What is a normal activity for so many,a rail journey perhaps where you have to go God knows how many miles past your intended destination only to have to struggle on another train so that you get back to where you wanted to be and able to exit the station.

There are still those that when addressing someone in a wheelchair or blind shout assuming they are also deaf or half witted,taxi drivers refusing wheelchair users or those with an assistance dog because it causes them a bit more work......don't be a taxi driver then!

There is no good reason in a modern society that we cannot make everyday living as accessible for everyone......yeah I know Im a liberal tosspot and do gooder. :P :P :P :P

Yes it is.

My point was when the F@@@ did this country become so ... weakened that 22% of its population are disabled enough to demand exceptional treatment under this law.

Because the equality act and disability discrimination act are nothing to do with people being treated EQUALLY but are in fact the legitimisation and enshrinement in law of the requirement they are treated BETTER than 'ordinary' people in order that their disability can be accommodated.

I've no problem with that apart from the fact some people think it is their God given right. It isn't. We only have to go as far as we consider 'reasonable' in the additional things we do, which we do not have to do for anyone not able to look to this act for legitimacy of their demands ...

It's a matter of viewpoint.

It's very important that the reality is accepted on both sides.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Well all I can say John isn't it good that we should recognise and try to alleviate the problems say someone confined to a wheelchair faces?

What is a normal activity for so many,a rail journey perhaps where you have to go God knows how many miles past your intended destination only to have to struggle on another train so that you get back to where you wanted to be and able to exit the station.

There are still those that when addressing someone in a wheelchair or blind shout assuming they are also deaf or half witted,taxi drivers refusing wheelchair users or those with an assistance dog because it causes them a bit more work......don't be a taxi driver then!

There is no good reason in a modern society that we cannot make everyday living as accessible for everyone......yeah I know Im a liberal tosspot and do gooder. :P :P :P :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2020, 08:04:57 AM
Actually, it is sinking, in a way. Where do we go when we have less carers than those needing care?
Up a creek without a paddle, perhaps.

Somewhat - A 'side effect' of not having as many people die young or in middle age is that there will be more social care needed when they are old.

If all ships are sinking it's presumably best to be on the one with the least chance of dying young and/or not being able to live a life while disabled.

Barry

Actually, it is sinking, in a way. Where do we go when we have less carers than those needing care?
Up a creek without a paddle, perhaps.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 09, 2020, 07:34:07 AMHow the hell did the UK sink to the point where two out of nine of its entire population are able to call upon the disability discrimination act ?

I don't think it's about sinking. We have much better diagnosis, and support than ever before, meaning it's much more likely for people to be registered with a disability, and be able to live longer with it.

You need only take a look at some of the big physical health illness/diseases - Cancer, Parkinson's, Stroke survivors, and that's before you go near any chronic mental health illness etc. and the numbers add up pretty quickly.

johnofgwent

Looking at the BBC news page this morning for my dayorder instructing me what I must as a white hetetosexual male feel guilty about today, I came across a fascinating throwaway story

It is apparently 25 years since the Disability Discrimination Act came about.

The BBC naturally jumped on the opportunity to highlight the people who have made it their lifetimes mission to benefit from this legislation.

The Baroness whose wheelchair is a shitload comfier now it's lined with ermine. The lawyer whose done very well for himself. And the CEO of some outfit who demand to see a company's "disability credentials" before they'll do business with them ...

It's this guy who had the most interesting thing to say though ...

"After all" he says "we make up 22% of the population"

WTF ?

HOW ??

How the hell did the UK sink to the point where two out of nine of its entire population are able to call upon the disability discrimination act ?

I freely admit we have had much greater success in the Paralympics since Blair instigated his warmongering, but we don't have THAT large an army.