Brexit: Boris Johnson misses EU deadline to explain breach of international law

Started by Dynamis, November 09, 2020, 11:31:20 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2020, 10:01:46 PM
Actually I think Biden is good news for the UK. I honestly thought Trump was using the UK, he wants to break the EU and the UK was a means to an end. Trump was "america first" and when it came to trade with the UK on its own it would have been all bets off and there would be no favours, he doesn't exactly play fair.
But Biden is a more inclusive sort, I'm sure he will want a deal with the UK and the EU, no reason why he wouldn't get both.

I've no reason to "rejoice" IRL trades with the UK, if the UK does poorly that affects IRL. It's not a zero sum game. While I do think Brexit is going to be a big financial hit for the UK, a good trade deal will lessen that hit. Biden will support IRL, Johnson won't get a trade deal with the EU or USA if he continues with his IMB, interesting times ahead.
Depends on rather a lot of things really, as we all know, there isn't any major western economy that won't be taking a major hit, which will also filter down to the smaller ones, US politics is no less a minefield either, there is a major disconnect with the public and polarised politics, which is best avoided in many ways, as for healing the US and making/restoring any faith the rest of the world might have had in them once upon a time, is a mountain, which in all honesty I cannot see happening. The damage they have done around the world probably runs too deep. Not that I don't wish them luck.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on November 09, 2020, 07:01:50 PMCan't wait Gerry for you to tell us all that Bidens win  means certain sackcloth and ashes for those awful English whose come uppance  has been a long time coming and how you being the eu the eu being you will smugly rejoice over that.

Actually I think Biden is good news for the UK. I honestly thought Trump was using the UK, he wants to break the EU and the UK was a means to an end. Trump was "america first" and when it came to trade with the UK on its own it would have been all bets off and there would be no favours, he doesn't exactly play fair.
But Biden is a more inclusive sort, I'm sure he will want a deal with the UK and the EU, no reason why he wouldn't get both.

I've no reason to "rejoice" IRL trades with the UK, if the UK does poorly that affects IRL. It's not a zero sum game. While I do think Brexit is going to be a big financial hit for the UK, a good trade deal will lessen that hit. Biden will support IRL, Johnson won't get a trade deal with the EU or USA if he continues with his IMB, interesting times ahead.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2020, 06:34:03 PMbut I think that would still require fishing and level playing field to be resolved.

I just love the way you say that like you think the EU has any claim to them. Level playing field: The EU wouldn't even know what it looked like they are that crooked.
The Spanish have been fishing illegally in our waters for years, a few well aimed torpedoes will have their armada sitting next to their last one. On the sea bed.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: Borchester on November 09, 2020, 07:21:14 PM
So how does that work? Does the EU issue an International Arrest Warrant and have Boris dragged, a broken man, before the Uxbridge Magistrates Court where he will receive a 30/- fine and be advised that his life in politics is over?

Those foreigners clearly aren't folk to be trifled with   :)

It means if we do not agree this, they may give us formal notice that they are ending the treaty.
Or that an arbitration panel can be tasked to come up with an amendment to the treaty, in the light of this, that both sides can agree to.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 11:31:20 AM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-boris-johnson-international-law-deadline-breach-b1557305.html?amp

Boris Johnson is facing further legal action from the EU after he missed a deadline to explain why he is planning to break international law over Northern Ireland.

At the start of October the European Commission sent a letter of formal notice to the UK over the prime minister's planned Internal Market Bill, which breaches the Brexit agreement signed earlier this year.
---

The EU launched legal action on 1st Oct.

They seem to be racking up wins with their lawyer + trade expert army as recently they beat the yanks at the WTO and in court...

Brexit should go ahead as planned as I've maintained since Boris won in Dec 2019, and there's no turning back now, however as others note - Boris IS rowing back. Which I said would happen, but we will soon see whether he has any integrity at all one way or the other.

So how does that work? Does the EU issue an International Arrest Warrant and have Boris dragged, a broken man, before the Uxbridge Magistrates Court where he will receive a 30/- fine and be advised that his life in politics is over?

Those foreigners clearly aren't folk to be trifled with   :)
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2020, 06:34:03 PM
A little late for that, that boat sailed a long time ago.

Whereas Varadkar, Fail, Gael, SF and the Dail are benign paragons of virtue and pleasantness right.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/16/eu-tax-avoidance-big-companies-ireland-apple-state-aid

Oct 2019 in Irl's media: "
Deputies Timmy Dooley and Niall Collins have come under fire after it emerged that Collins cast six votes in the Dail on Thursday on Dooley's behalf despite the Clare TD not being in the Chamber."

The Dail voting scandal.

Irish Examiner articles 'bout that snakey Varadkar fella poncing about with some GP in another corruption scandal eh?

Where do you start with SF?

I've seen you berating all the English as extremely idiotic and ignorant; you along with your comedy duo pals on here for a month or two now.

And I thought it got bit much how you constantly told us we're shit on the floor, brainless etc and you wouldn't spit on us..

Like your country is so bloody perfect, Juncker was pretty angry at you - and rightly so. What's with your tax evasion enabling? Fix it.

And what of Irl and the Lisbon treaty rubbish? Is that democracy in action then?

The problem is that you aren't just concerned about Brexit - you appear to look down on us also.

I don't think I like that so much. I don't look down on you lot. Maybe that's why your posts aren't so well received recently..

QuoteThe UK has left, what's being debated is will that be with or without a deal. With all the UK delaying there's no time to conclude a meaningful deal which will leave a very basic deal, but I think that would still require fishing and level playing field to be resolved.

Boris gives even snake oil salesmen a bad name, who knew.

QuoteThe WA has a clause which says neither party will "threaten" the WA, the IMB does exactly that, if the IMB is passed that in itself doesn't break the WA but the intent of passing the IMB is to allow elements of the WA to be over ruled by domestic law. This is a textbook example of threatening behaviour. It would look like the EU is on very solid ground in taking this action but the courts will decide.

They are. But like I said Boris will prolly renege any minute now regardless.

QuoteI heard Rabb being interviewed re Biden's win and the question of the WA/IMB came up. That man needs a brain transplant, he is clueless.

Well yeah the Tory cabinet in general are useless, but don't act like you're perfect either.
+++

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2020, 06:34:03 PM
The UK has left, what's being debated is will that be with or without a deal. With all the UK delaying there's no time to conclude a meaningful deal which will leave a very basic deal, but I think that would still require fishing and level playing field to be resolved.

The WA has a clause which says neither party will "threaten" the WA, the IMB does exactly that, if the IMB is passed that in itself doesn't break the WA but the intent of passing the IMB is to allow elements of the WA to be over ruled by domestic law. This is a textbook example of threatening behaviour. It would look like the EU is on very solid ground in taking this action but the courts will decide.

I heard Rabb being interviewed re Biden's win and the question of the WA/IMB came up. That man needs a brain transplant, he is clueless.
Can't wait Gerry for you to tell us all that Bidens win  means certain sackcloth and ashes for those awful English whose come uppance  has been a long time coming and how you being the eu the eu being you will smugly rejoice over that. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 11:31:20 AM
....Brexit should go ahead as planned as I've maintained since Boris won in Dec 2019, and there's no turning back now, however as others note - Boris IS rowing back. Which I said would happen, but we will soon see whether he has any integrity at all one way or the other.
The UK has left, what's being debated is will that be with or without a deal. With all the UK delaying there's no time to conclude a meaningful deal which will leave a very basic deal, but I think that would still require fishing and level playing field to be resolved.

The WA has a clause which says neither party will "threaten" the WA, the IMB does exactly that, if the IMB is passed that in itself doesn't break the WA but the intent of passing the IMB is to allow elements of the WA to be over ruled by domestic law. This is a textbook example of threatening behaviour. It would look like the EU is on very solid ground in taking this action but the courts will decide.

I heard Rabb being interviewed re Biden's win and the question of the WA/IMB came up. That man needs a brain transplant, he is clueless.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2020, 12:31:48 PM
The EU setting us deadlines !! We are not in the EU any more.

Precisely.

Thread should say 'boris puts two fingers up to EU demands".

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

The EU setting us deadlines !! We are not in the EU any more. As for legal action, what legal action do they think they can bring? A) No international law has been broken and B) Domestic law supersedes International law.

Strange.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-boris-johnson-international-law-deadline-breach-b1557305.html?amp

Boris Johnson is facing further legal action from the EU after he missed a deadline to explain why he is planning to break international law over Northern Ireland.

At the start of October the European Commission sent a letter of formal notice to the UK over the prime minister's planned Internal Market Bill, which breaches the Brexit agreement signed earlier this year.
---

The EU launched legal action on 1st Oct.

They seem to be racking up wins with their lawyer + trade expert army as recently they beat the yanks at the WTO and in court...

Brexit should go ahead as planned as I've maintained since Boris won in Dec 2019, and there's no turning back now, however as others note - Boris IS rowing back. Which I said would happen, but we will soon see whether he has any integrity at all one way or the other.
+++