Brexit: Boris Johnson misses EU deadline to explain breach of international law

Started by Dynamis, November 09, 2020, 11:31:20 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 11, 2020, 12:13:35 AMServices maybe but you need reminding that the Commonwealth still covers one third of the world, both population and countries. Poorer countries than most of the EU I grant you but I'd rather trade with them and be poorer, than be a member of the EU and that is the thing you either don't get or don't want to get.
First most of the commonwealth is on the other side of the world, whats the closest Canada? secondly these are countries you invaded and controlled, in cases not a lot of love there, purely business and third the UK doesn't have FTA's with these countries. Finally these countries are not a trading block so the UK will need to setup FTA's with each of them. Hows the Canada, India and Australia one's going?
There is no advantage I can see for the UK to trade with a commonwealth country over any other country in the world. If the plan is commonwealth then that's not a great plan.

Quote from: Nick on November 11, 2020, 12:13:35 AMYou can say we don't rule the waves, the skies, whatever but we aren't a country sat between a fragile trading block and one of the top 10 economy in the world.
No you were going to start a war by blowing fishing boats our of the sea's. I pointed out that's not a great idea. The EU is far from fragile, made even stronger through the brexit process. You are right the UK is a top 10 economy, but there's really a leading pack of big boys and then you have the UK leading the small boys, let's give it 3 to 5 yrs when you leave and we'll see how the brexit experiment is working.

Quote from: Nick on November 11, 2020, 12:13:35 AMStop telling us how bad it's going to be, we don't care.
I wasn't saying that, I was saying what your leaders have been saying is lies, there is an over inflated expectation or opinion of what the UK is and what post brexit UK will be, I'm bring that back to reality. You can chose to believe what you want. I'll debate any post brexit scenarios you may have.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2020, 01:26:54 AMYou need reminding, the UK is 80% services and not an Empire of ruling the waves and the air, those days are gone.

Services maybe but you need reminding that the Commonwealth still covers one third of the world, both population and countries. Poorer countries than most of the EU I grant you but I'd rather trade with them and be poorer, than be a member of the EU and that is the thing you either don't get or don't want to get.

You can say we don't rule the waves, the skies, whatever but we aren't a country sat between a fragile trading block and one of the top 10 economy in the world.

Stop telling us how bad it's going to be, we don't care.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2020, 09:16:27 PM
Its exactly the same in the UK as far as I'm aware, once a MP is elected he can't be sacked as an MP, he's been elected. In the UK the party whip is removed from him and in Ireland he's removed from the party front bench. Or removed from the party in both cases, but he's still a MP or TD. In IRL a TD can loose his seat if he is either bankrupt or gets a prison sentence.
And what I'm pointing out is accountability, if a TD is found in IRL to have done something wrong he can be held accountable, that seems to be missing in the UK. You droning on about what you think I mean, highlighting your own strawman argument doesn't help.

I thought you said ONE of them lost their seat?

QuoteWell you tell me, what's your opinion on this issue. Do you think it's a resigning matter, I don't. It was a stupid thing for Varadkar to do but it was done to help matters and not help himself.

No. But I think Varadkar isn't very competent either, he dealt with Bojo poorly.

Juncker showed masterful diplomacy (and rudeness where necessary) in dealing with leaders. Your man isn't much good at this by the seems of it.

I personally thought this was the way

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/16/johnson-humiliated-by-luxembourg-pm-at-empty-chair-press-conference

;D That's how you deal with a stupid child PM like Bojo.

QuoteI'll ask again, what issue do you have with SF. posting a link to google isn't an argument. What is it about SF that you have an issue with ?

Where do you start? Look how maky scandals they're involved in.

"Again your strawman. You are the one claiming the UK is less than IRL."

No. You are lying now - my words were that England is just as corrupt as Irl in politics. Nothing else.

You are the one saying Irish politics are far more honest and better.

QuoteAgain your not representing what's been said, you'll need to give a better example that vague generalisations.

I'm not going digging through the canuck's insane rants about cod wars and so on, you must be joking.

QuoteExactly no tax evasion. Do you understand what is happening, how IRL taxes companies income and how that's different to how the USA does it. Companies use this to their advantage but there is ZERO tax evasion built into the Irish system.

Gerry, we are saying your country is a tax haven. We are saying your country facilitates tax evasion in OTHER countries such as ours.

That was pretty obviously what I was suggesting, please don't insist this isn't the case.

QuoteIRL does have a low corporate tax rate which is a separate issue, second lowest in Europ at 12.5%, the UK is fourth lowest at 19% and France the highest at 34.4%.

And what of your loopholes and technicalities in tax codes/legal precedents?

As you say the effective rate is what matterd. So what do the actual receipts on average look like sent from a big corp to the Irish taxman?

Quoteis there any transparency or accountability ? seems very cloak and dagger.

Not much over here, but again you are suggesting your country doesn't have those issues. I will dig deeper now just to disprove this.

QuoteNo, not to the scale as witnessed in the brexit referendum. Maybe because IRL has many referendums and the UK doesn't, but you don't get the same level of lying or propaganda. But your welcome to point out how the IRL govt spun a a web of lies.

Let's try one then -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/repeal-eighth-ireland-abortion-referendum-misinformation-yes-no-campaigns-a8363916.html%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwivjOagifnsAhWZSBUIHfsRAvYQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1uikgY8NRYuEgcBe-Bjkpk&ampcf=1

Honestly. And I never said the govt, I meant all sides spreading propaganda in referenda.

[quote[I never said our politics are clean, there will always be spin but you seldom see the same level of outright lies. Even with the recent Vardakar story, which is a borderline issue but still the opposition are calling for a vote of no confidence, this could cost him his career. So how come Johnson is a hero and he was found guilty of lying to the queen, that's the point. UK politicians seem to be able to do and say anything and it doesn't affect their position, it's not like that over here.[/quote]

Every PM lies to the Queen, that's not really a story at all.

The problems with Bojo are much worse, mainly that he's possibly controlled by Cumminfs the GRU asset.

QuoteI linked it before, think this was it. A number of questions were asked, one been
Do you think the UK was wrong to leave the EU  49% said it was wrong 41% it was right and rest don't know. Most other questions in the recent polls (101 of them) are similar with remain the pick.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu

vs Dec 2019.

Anyway, because of C19, Boris may well lose to Starmer with Brexit being overturned against the wish of voters in 2019, I voted Corbyn back then, but that's not what the English wanted is it. Scots voted SNP.

QuoteAll those countries are in the EU and have FTA's because of it. The UK shooting itself, as in leaving on no deal or a very very basic deal if that can be salvaged in the next couple of weeks. The UK had time to do this but made a balls of the whole process, culminating with the biggest balls of them all in the form of the IMB.

Who cares about FTA's when we're talking evil anti-semites in the Polish piss party, or the revanchist Fascist idiot in Slovenia Jansa, or Orban who's strings are pulled by Putin?

There is more to the world than money and FTA's. Why the hell is Orban allowed to virtually suspend democracy with no action by the EU, just rhetoric? Very disappointing

QuoteI don't look down on the people of the UK, I've very little regard for your politicians, very few that seem to have any idea what's actually going on. WRT Brexit there has been far more effort trying to score points in the UK than trying to figure out what form of brexit was wanted and achievable. It's not like the EU was an unknown entity, there's been no surprises. Boils down to the UK wanting it's cake and eating it.

Fair enough.
+++

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2020, 10:40:14 AM
I think you'll find that the WA breaks U.K. law as brought into place in 1801.
The Uk signed the WA, I thought no UK govt could be held by a previous govt. I think what you'll find is the WA  is over ruling a very old UK law, it's up to Johnson to fix any anomalies in UK domestic lay to ensure the WA is not breached.

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2020, 10:40:14 AMMartin Howe QC, Chairman of Lawyers for Britain. Here he expands on the points  first put forward in an article on 10 September 2020 in the Daily Telegraph "Forget the foaming indignation, this Brexit bill is perfectly justifiable. Despite Brandon Lewis' rather puzzling remarks, there are good arguments that the government's clauses will not breach international law"
That's just idiotic, this bill as pointed out to you breaches the WA which is international law.

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2020, 10:40:14 AMThe subjects of Great Britain and Ireland shall be on the same footing in respect of trade and navigation, and in all treaties with foreign powers the subjects of Ireland shall have the same privileges as British subjects.
I think he knows a bit more than us.
From January 1, 1801, all prohibitions and bounties on the export of articles the produce or manufacture of either country to the other shall cease."

So what your saying is, the UK has a very old law that says there will be no trade barriers between UK and IRL wrt its international treaties. If that's the case does that not make Brexit illegal, because it was the UK that voted for brexit and that has introduced barriers.

That bit I bolded is actually backward, If you want the subjects of the UK to have the same privileges as IRL, then the UK needs to rejoin the EU and not drive a wedge between the UK and IRL, you don't actually expect that IRL would leave the EU like a lap dog because the UK left, thats the way the dribble posted above comes across. Prob an indication of the times back in the 1800's.

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMWhereas your guys as you say remain elected. What's there to say? You know what I think about Boris. Straightaway you say "your syqtem is so bad we are better" yeah right.
Its exactly the same in the UK as far as I'm aware, once a MP is elected he can't be sacked as an MP, he's been elected. In the UK the party whip is removed from him and in Ireland he's removed from the party front bench. Or removed from the party in both cases, but he's still a MP or TD. In IRL a TD can loose his seat if he is either bankrupt or gets a prison sentence.
And what I'm pointing out is accountability, if a TD is found in IRL to have done something wrong he can be held accountable, that seems to be missing in the UK. You droning on about what you think I mean, highlighting your own strawman argument doesn't help.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AM😸 Nothing story? That's why all Irl MSM covered it from what I saw on google?
Well you tell me, what's your opinion on this issue. Do you think it's a resigning matter, I don't. It was a stupid thing for Varadkar to do but it was done to help matters and not help himself.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=sinn+fein+scandal+republic+if+ireland&oq=sinn+fein+scandal+republic+if+ireland&aqs=chrome..69i57.8997j0j4&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
I tell you what, let's be more general aye.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ireland+politics+scandal&oq=ireland+politics+scandal&aqs=chrome..69i57.5759j0j9&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Yeah, your country is so much better than Ekgland mate... We are below you etc...
I'll ask again, what issue do you have with SF. posting a link to google isn't an argument. What is it about SF that you have an issue with ?
Again your strawman. You are the one claiming the UK is less than IRL.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMIt was implied in your mocking posts with the clowning sockpuppet guy, the canuck and maybe one other with an esoteric and apparently elusive and unmemorable name.
Again your not representing what's been said, you'll need to give a better example that vague generalisations.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMWhat the heck are you talking about no tax evasion?
You appear to have reached levels of bizarre posting normally reserved for the likes of papasmurf.   
"No the link isn't clickable"
"Yes it is, try clicking it. Did you try clicking it."
"No."
"Why not?"
"It isn't clickable"
Exactly no tax evasion. Do you understand what is happening, how IRL taxes companies income and how that's different to how the USA does it. Companies use this to their advantage but there is ZERO tax evasion built into the Irish system.
IRL does have a low corporate tax rate which is a separate issue, second lowest in Europ at 12.5%, the UK is fourth lowest at 19% and France the highest at 34.4%. But the effective tax rate is very different if for example if you count the back-hand brown envelopes the likes of Nissan received, what was it 80m, and that's just one company, is there any transparency or accountability ? seems very cloak and dagger.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMYeah of course that's how it played out, there's no oying or propaganda in your referenda but there only is in ours right? Just same as your politics being clean whereas ours isn't? 
No, not to the scale as witnessed in the brexit referendum. Maybe because IRL has many referendums and the UK doesn't, but you don't get the same level of lying or propaganda. But your welcome to point out how the IRL govt spun a a web of lies.
I never said our politics are clean, there will always be spin but you seldom see the same level of outright lies. Even with the recent Vardakar story, which is a borderline issue but still the opposition are calling for a vote of no confidence, this could cost him his career. So how come Johnson is a hero and he was found guilty of lying to the queen, that's the point. UK politicians seem to be able to do and say anything and it doesn't affect their position, it's not like that over here.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMReally? Link me and prove that claim?
I linked it before, think this was it. A number of questions were asked, one been
Do you think the UK was wrong to leave the EU  49% said it was wrong 41% it was right and rest don't know. Most other questions in the recent polls (101 of them) are similar with remain the pick.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMStill singling us out when there's Poland, Hungary, Slovenia etc and you single us out as esoecially worse. That's not right.
All those countries are in the EU and have FTA's because of it. The UK shooting itself, as in leaving on no deal or a very very basic deal if that can be salvaged in the next couple of weeks. The UK had time to do this but made a balls of the whole process, culminating with the biggest balls of them all in the form of the IMB.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMNo it wouldn't, you lot refers to you guys in Irl. just as if you say "you lot" it refers to us in England. Your rubbish about the UK is irrelevant as I am anti-Unionist remember? I'm pro Irish reunification, scot indy and so forth, so don't come the raw prawn with me mate.
Fair enough  :)

Quote from: Dynamis on November 10, 2020, 02:00:25 AMI'll get used to irrelevant lectures that don't apply to me and out of context comments stretched too far too.
I don't look down on the people of the UK, I've very little regard for your politicians, very few that seem to have any idea what's actually going on. WRT Brexit there has been far more effort trying to score points in the UK than trying to figure out what form of brexit was wanted and achievable. It's not like the EU was an unknown entity, there's been no surprises. Boils down to the UK wanting it's cake and eating it.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2020, 12:51:38 AM
Nope it def doesn't mean that. The WA is a binding treaty, this is the steps the EU take in a litigation case against the UK. The UK are breaking, in the opinion of the EU, the WA, the process for dealing with this is in the WA, remedies include hefty financial payments. Either way the treaty stands as is.

I think you'll find that the WA breaks U.K. law as brought into place in 1801.

Martin Howe QC, Chairman of Lawyers for Britain. Here he expands on the points  first put forward in an article on 10 September 2020 in the Daily Telegraph "Forget the foaming indignation, this Brexit bill is perfectly justifiable. Despite Brandon Lewis' rather puzzling remarks, there are good arguments that the government's clauses will not breach international law"

The subjects of Great Britain and Ireland shall be on the same footing in respect of trade and navigation, and in all treaties with foreign powers the subjects of Ireland shall have the same privileges as British subjects.

I think he knows a bit more than us.

From January 1, 1801, all prohibitions and bounties on the export of articles the produce or manufacture of either country to the other shall cease."

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2020, 12:44:37 AM
That was bad, the TD's (MP's) in question lost their positions, they still remained elected TD's as that can't be removed from them. Tim Dooley wasn't re-elected. WHat happened Johnson for lying to the queen, we haven't even touched on his "buddies" getting dodgy payments, no repurcussions.

Whereas your guys as you say remain elected. What's there to say? You know what I think about Boris.

Straightaway you say "your syqtem is so bad we are better" yeah right.

QuoteMakes what happens over here look very mild.
Storm in a tea cup, corruption, don't make me laugh. He gave a document to a GP group which was all ready in circulation. A nothing story.

😸 Nothing story? That's why all Irl MSM covered it from what I saw on google?

What about SF ? what do you want to say ? at least they weren't in charge of the ash for cash scandal up North. I'm no SF supporter, I don't think their policies stand up to any form of scrutiny. But what issue do you have with them ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sinn+fein+scandal+republic+if+ireland&oq=sinn+fein+scandal+republic+if+ireland&aqs=chrome..69i57.8997j0j4&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I tell you what, let's be more general aye.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ireland+politics+scandal&oq=ireland+politics+scandal&aqs=chrome..69i57.5759j0j9&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

;)

Yeah, your country is so much better than Ekgland mate... We are below you etc...

Quotenever said any of that, maybe my pointing out that Brexit measured on a financial or trade scale is a disaster and ill thought out. From getting back Sovereignty, even if it's for a small time it's been a success. It's not the sunny uplands that was promised, but still posters try say it will be a success, but no examples or coherent plan to achieve this. Maybe as Mogg say's in 50yr's the UK can start to turn things around, none of us will be here to find out, probably not our children either so not a great legacy to leave them. Happy for you to point out where I say the above though.

It was implied in your mocking posts with the clowning sockpuppet guy, the canuck and maybe one other with an esoteric and apparently elusive and unmemorable name.

QuoteNo he wasn't angry, not in the slightest. WHat makes you think that ?  Zero tax evasion, maybe you just read the headlines of the article you posted, read further down and it explains in more detail.

What the heck are you talking about no tax evasion?

You appear to have reached levels of bizarre posting normally reserved for the likes of papasmurf.  :D ;D :D

"No the link isn't clickable"

"Yes it is, try clicking it. Did you try clicking it."

"No."

"Why not?"

"It isn't clickable"

;D ;D ;D

QuoteLisbon was fine, people were unsure, the Govt spent time explaining in more detail what it actually ment and addressing concerns people had and the people were happy to let it through the second time. Thats how adults do things.

Yeah of course that's how it played out, there's no oying or propaganda in your referenda but there only is in ours right? Just same as your politics being clean whereas ours isn't?  ;D

QuotePity the lying UK politicians couldn't tell the UK people what Brexit actually will entail, you might have got a different outcome, which UK polls suggest.

Really? Link me and prove that claim?

QuoteOur country like most is far from perfect, Nobody is saying their country is perfect. The UK is taking that to a new level though, shooting itself in both legs (from a trade perspective!)

Still singling us out when there's Poland, Hungary, Slovenia etc and you single us out as esoecially worse. That's not right.

QuoteAnd that wouldn't in any way be condescending in any way.

No it wouldn't, you lot refers to you guys in Irl. just as if you say "you lot" it refers to us in England.

Your rubbish about the UK is irrelevant as I am anti-Unionist remember? I'm pro Irish reunification, scot indy and so forth, so don't come the raw prawn with me mate. ;)

QuoteReminds me of Lord Kilclooney's comments, "What happens if Biden moves on and the Indian becomes President. Who then becomes Vice President?" 
There's a lot of empire talk, war talk, getting back to the good old days. Maybe what your feeling isn't us poor paddy's looking down on you but it's the UK realising it's no longer a key player in the world, it's just another of the countries trailing the big boys. A rule taker and no longer a rule giver. Don't worry about it, us Irish have been that way for centuries, it's not that bad you'll get used to it.

I'll get used to irrelevant lectures that don't apply to me and out of context comments stretched too far too.
+++

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on November 10, 2020, 01:23:13 AMBut you are rubbish at this democracy lark, you don't vote for politicians because it then gives them the opportunity to do with you what they will and you then repeat everything they tell you that they feel you should, you don't work for them, they work for you.

You don't seem to understand democracy. In IRL the people hold the power, the only way to change our constitution is by the people, in the UK you don't have that. In the UK a bunch of toffs run the country and the great unwashed watch football.
A democratic decision doesn't stand for ever. With Lisbon the Govt felt that was in our best interest, the campaign was poorly run, rushed and there wasn't much info out there. Only when it was rejected did people take a closer look. There were more debates and discussion and people then passed it, if they weren't happy they would have blocked it. Compare that to the UK where you have your Govt telling you nothing but lies, 350m a week, easiest trade deal in history, they need us more than we need them, staying in the SM but no ECJ, sunny uplands etc... at least we didn't have that sh1te with Lisbon.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2020, 01:36:48 AM
The globe is taking a major hit with Covid and even with the prospect of vaccines on the horizon 2021 will be another yr dominated by covid. But at least with Biden there you would hope that the incendiary toxic impact Trump will be gone and replaced with a more calming measured USA.
I doubt it, the rhetoric has started already.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on November 09, 2020, 10:26:51 PMDepends on rather a lot of things really, as we all know, there isn't any major western economy that won't be taking a major hit, which will also filter down to the smaller ones, US politics is no less a minefield either, there is a major disconnect with the public and polarised politics, which is best avoided in many ways, as for healing the US and making/restoring any faith the rest of the world might have had in them once upon a time, is a mountain, which in all honesty I cannot see happening. The damage they have done around the world probably runs too deep. Not that I don't wish them luck.
The globe is taking a major hit with Covid and even with the prospect of vaccines on the horizon 2021 will be another yr dominated by covid. But at least with Biden there you would hope that the incendiary toxic impact Trump will be gone and replaced with a more calming measured USA.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2020, 09:48:47 PMI just love the way you say that like you think the EU has any claim to them. Level playing field: The EU wouldn't even know what it looked like they are that crooked.
The Spanish have been fishing illegally in our waters for years, a few well aimed torpedoes will have their armada sitting next to their last one. On the sea bed.

I never said that, it's a negotiation. The EU wants A and B and will give the UK C and D. If the UK doesn't like it then it either offers something different or it can walk away. As a totally Sovereign country you hold all that power.

Yea Yea and the following yr the Spanish sunk the great UK armada. But agh there we go, back to war. Lets leave the EU and start a war. You need reminding, the UK is 80% services and not an Empire of ruling the waves and the air, those days are gone. Look at this, a little out of date but the UK would be outnumbered in all areas at least 5 to 1 in a school yard scrap between the EU and UK, maybe you should park the bombs and start looking at your services industry. Whats the plan there ?

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-25-most-powerful-militaries-in-europe-2018-11?r=US&IR=T#7-spain-overall-ranking-19-19

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2020, 12:51:38 AM
Nope it def doesn't mean that. The WA is a binding treaty, this is the steps the EU take in a litigation case against the UK. The UK are breaking, in the opinion of the EU, the WA, the process for dealing with this is in the WA, remedies include hefty financial payments. Either way the treaty stands as is.
But you are rubbish at this democracy lark, you don't vote for politicians because it then gives them the opportunity to do with you what they will and you then repeat everything they tell you that they feel you should, you don't work for them, they work for you.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on November 09, 2020, 08:02:01 PMIt means if we do not agree this, they may give us formal notice that they are ending the treaty.
Or that an arbitration panel can be tasked to come up with an amendment to the treaty, in the light of this, that both sides can agree to.

GerryT

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 07:16:47 PMWhereas Varadkar, Fail, Gael, SF and the Dail are benign paragons of virtue and pleasantness right.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/16/eu-tax-avoidance-big-companies-ireland-apple-state-aid

Oct 2019 in Irl's media: "
Deputies Timmy Dooley and Niall Collins have come under fire after it emerged that Collins cast six votes in the Dail on Thursday on Dooley%u2019s behalf despite the Clare TD not being in the Chamber."

The Dail voting scandal.
That was bad, the TD's (MP's) in question lost their positions, they still remained elected TD's as that can't be removed from them. Tim Dooley wasn't re-elected. WHat happened Johnson for lying to the queen, we haven't even touched on his "buddies" getting dodgy payments, no repurcussions. Makes what happens over here look very mild.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 07:16:47 PMIrish Examiner articles 'bout that snakey Varadkar fella poncing about with some GP in another corruption scandal eh?

Where do you start with SF?
Storm in a tea cup, corruption, don't make me laugh. He gave a document to a GP group which was all ready in circulation. A nothing story.
What about SF ? what do you want to say ? at least they weren't in charge of the ash for cash scandal up North. I'm no SF supporter, I don't think their policies stand up to any form of scrutiny. But what issue do you have with them ?

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 07:16:47 PMI've seen you berating all the English as extremely idiotic and ignorant; you along with your comedy duo pals on here for a month or two now.
And I thought it got bit much how you constantly told us we're shit on the floor, brainless etc and you wouldn't spit on us..
I never said any of that, maybe my pointing out that Brexit measured on a financial or trade scale is a disaster and ill thought out. From getting back Sovereignty, even if it's for a small time it's been a success. It's not the sunny uplands that was promised, but still posters try say it will be a success, but no examples or coherent plan to achieve this. Maybe as Mogg say's in 50yr's the UK can start to turn things around, none of us will be here to find out, probably not our children either so not a great legacy to leave them. Happy for you to point out where I say the above though.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 07:16:47 PMLike your country is so bloody perfect, Juncker was pretty angry at you - and rightly so. What's with your tax evasion enabling? Fix it.
And what of Irl and the Lisbon treaty rubbish? Is that democracy in action then?
No he wasn't angry, not in the slightest. WHat makes you think that ?  Zero tax evasion, maybe you just read the headlines of the article you posted, read further down and it explains in more detail.
Lisbon was fine, people were unsure, the Govt spent time explaining in more detail what it actually ment and addressing concerns people had and the people were happy to let it through the second time. Thats how adults do things. Pity the lying UK politicians couldn't tell the UK people what Brexit actually will entail, you might have got a different outcome, which UK polls suggest.
Our country like most is far from perfect, Nobody is saying their country is perfect. The UK is taking that to a new level though, shooting itself in both legs (from a trade perspective!)

Quote from: Dynamis on November 09, 2020, 07:16:47 PMThe problem is that you aren't just concerned about Brexit - you appear to look down on us also.
I don't think I like that so much. I don't look down on you lot. Maybe that's why your posts aren't so well received recently..
And that wouldn't in any way be condescending in any way. Reminds me of Lord Kilclooney's comments, "What happens if Biden moves on and the Indian becomes President. Who then becomes Vice President?" 
There's a lot of empire talk, war talk, getting back to the good old days. Maybe what your feeling isn't us poor paddy's looking down on you but it's the UK realising it's no longer a key player in the world, it's just another of the countries trailing the big boys. A rule taker and no longer a rule giver. Don't worry about it, us Irish have been that way for centuries, it's not that bad you'll get used to it.