Brexit: Boris Johnson misses EU deadline to explain breach of international law

Started by Dynamis, November 09, 2020, 11:31:20 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Dynamis on November 16, 2020, 06:22:00 PM
Are you suggesting that Orban acting like a tinpot dictator and is ok?

How.. cromwellian.  :D
No I'm suggesting that we don't have to jump to Brussels tune even though Gerry thinks we should,bit like I often thank a post.......sometimes there's stuff I agree with wholeheartedly and other bits not but the thanks button can't reflect that.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 12:34:33 PM
The change happened in 2016 and prevented any new multinational in doing this practice but it allowed existing companies continuing until the end of 2020. Funnily enough this let to more multinationals investing and pushing money to IRL for revenue purposes. IRL still has a steady stream of well educated graduates and a low corporation tax rate. It will continue to attract high tech multinationals. With the UK leaving the EU and no direct tariff free access that will strengthen our market position in the EU.
FOr some reason Multinations get a bad press in IRL by a certain section of the community. Thinking they don't pay enough tax here, reality is about 80% of Irish tax revenue comes from these companies.
The only way to cut down on tax avoidance is a united global approach to how corporate tax revenue is taxed, I don't think that will happen in my life time.
Yes and if that's how Hungary goes I would expect their membership will be suspended. There's nothing the EU will do to try stop Hungary deciding their own direction. The EU has a track record of bending the rules and slowing the process for member states. I don't see this happening any other way. The EU will give Hungary every opportunity and time to change what they are doing. But in the long run the EU will take action. Note I do say it does this with member states, some people think this is the EU's way of doing all their business. But it's not.
But Hungary and Poland are both big beneficiaries of the EU, their political leaders may have support now but lets see how this plays out.
[/quote]

Well when I see stadiums of Polish fans cheering with nazi salutes, and the PiS saying the holocaust was no big deal, I remember how nice mostly all the Poles I've ever met are and don't even recognize that. It's 100% at odds with pretty much every Pole I've ever met.

It's so sad how Duda - who they say is a Russian puppet and has dirt pegged on em' by Putin's men - is so good at brainwashing voters. But like you say we will see whzt happens. It's true with Estonia and Slovenia too.

These people are trying to take control of the EU from the inside and it is a power struggle. They need to be beaten at the polls badly or the whole project will fail or turn sour. The FN in France, True Finns, AfD, PVV etc and lega nord/beppe grillo's project are all working in lockstep to try and force far-right stuff down peopoe's throats...

Anyway, I hope Irl does well after whatever Brexit and it doesn't effect you too much. Let's face it, everything says Boris will renege so there you go. Never trust a Tory as they say.

The EU needs to do a lot more to fix the cheating actions of multinats.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on November 16, 2020, 02:52:06 PM
And Hungary probably wrote back and said sod off we're not Greece.

Are you suggesting that Orban acting like a tinpot dictator and is ok?

How.. cromwellian.  :D
+++

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 04:17:00 PMYou do struggle with maths, 167b budget, loosing the 8.2b UK net

You say I struggle with maths? 😂

You just quoted 167 billion, in Euros (Gross) and compared it with £8.2 billion net.

It isn't my graph, it's from Statista and I doubt they're wrong. Even so you don't get it do you.

The EU gets it's money from 28 countries.
The second biggest net contributor has left, in 2018 it's liability was £20 billion.

As for the EU's GDP, as you've been told a 100 times, it doesn't have a GDP. It's remaining 27 countries have a GDP, 12.7 trillion that the EU has no right to.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 03:19:56 PM
Why are you so worried what the EU does or doesn't do with it's internal members. You've left the club but your still hanging around the club house.
So why are you so worried about what we do,bit rich wouldn't you say?

What's up Gerry cat got your tongue,this clubhouse a bit warm is it!didn't think your post through did you?

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 05:28:48 PM
no but the kids might afford to pay off their mortgage.
Well I guess I ain't a believer then Gerry and highly unlikely to be taking up a new religion like yourself anytime soon. You can pray at the EU alter all you wish, i just couldn't be arsed with their nonsense.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on November 16, 2020, 04:49:34 PM
well as somebody once told me Gerry, you might well have a 150IQ, but you are the most likely to end up poor and die penniless, but then as I said, I came into the world with feck all and like you will be leaving the same way. You ain't taking it with you.
no but the kids might afford to pay off their mortgage.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 04:26:54 PM
Empire  :D :D :D
Cost for brexit now running near to 200b, all most the same as the total UK contributions to the EU since you begged to join 50 yrs ago.
I never said I lectured Law, I did do a business degree and took law as a subject. But that would have been a very limited touch on the subject. Your memory is failing you. Secondly there is no such thing as Dublin University. There is UCD, DCU and now TUD. But no UD.
Nobody said the UK would sink, but plenty of experts said it would be a hit. And it has. And you haven't yet left properly.
well as somebody once told me Gerry, you might well have a 150IQ, but you are the most likely to end up poor and die penniless, but then as I said, I came into the world with feck all and like you will be leaving the same way. You ain't taking it with you.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 03:38:39 PMWe ain't. We were told that the mere thought of leaving the EU would bring about the end of the Empire and terminal hemorrhoids, But we left anyway and are quietly reconciled to the roof falling in and Carrie Symonds becoming PM.
Empire  :D :D :D
Cost for brexit now running near to 200b, all most the same as the total UK contributions to the EU since you begged to join 50 yrs ago.

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 03:38:39 PMBut you? A while back you were bragging that you had lectured on law at Dublin University and that now you are an electrician and the Chairwhatever of the Irish Pig Growers Association and you probably could not find the Irish Republic on a map even if you were offer 5 kilos of semtex at 50% off. You seem to live in some strange fantasy land where the UK will sink beneath the waves because the EU negotiators did not like the soft bus tickets in the loos.
I never said I lectured Law, I did do a business degree and took law as a subject. But that would have been a very limited touch on the subject. Your memory is failing you. Secondly there is no such thing as Dublin University. There is UCD, DCU and now TUD. But no UD.

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 03:38:39 PMI tell you Gerry, there are times when you sound a bit odd.
Nobody said the UK would sink, but plenty of experts said it would be a hit. And it has. And you haven't yet left properly.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2020, 02:06:43 PM2018 contributions show below that the EU is losing over 18% of its subs, plus 12% that the EU economy has shrunk due to Covid. Forecasts suggest the EU economy with have an overall collapse of 3.9%: That's 16% of its coffers gone when you add in Brexit. I know you're going to get your Gerculator out and tell us it's just £17.50 and that the EU won't even feel it but you know that is bollox.
Your graph is incorrect, it doesn't count the money all countries receive in the form of direct payments for research grants. For the UK that was approx 1.5b. That dries up in Jan.
You do struggle with maths, 167b budget, loosing the 8.2b UK net contribution or say 5%. The cost for running the EU is 10b, that's the cost to run the full admin/institutions etc. I think that can be handled from the remaining 158.8b.

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2020, 02:06:43 PMThey are going to have 6 or 7 countries feeding the other 20 now as it is highly unlikely that Ireland and Finland will be net contributors. If the UK doesn't get a deal it will not be catastrophic but the EU will have a triple whammy.
Who knows c19 is a game changer. They could reduce all countries payments and just keep the institutions running, that wouldn't need much money. The rest of the money is spent on funding projects, they can be postponed. Who knows what will happen.

Triple whammy. You do understand the GDP of the EU is expected to hit 12.7T in 2020. The EU budget is 167b, of that 6% is the admin cost or 10b to run the EU. The rest is sent back to countries and spent on projects/employment etc to help build the EU. The only part that needs funding is the institutions or the 10b, chump change for a 12.7T block. AND that's going on institutions that would have also serviced the UK, when your gone that price will drop.

All countries are having a c19 hit, the EU has a plan for that, a very large stimulus package. What's the UK got because it's not getting anything from that 1.82T fund. Is that the triple whammy.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 03:19:56 PM
Why are you so worried what the EU does or doesn't do with it's internal members. You've left the club but your still hanging around the club house.

We ain't. We were told that the mere thought of leaving the EU would bring about the end of the Empire and terminal hemorrhoids, But we left anyway and are quietly reconciled to the roof falling in and Carrie Symonds becoming PM.

But you? A while back you were bragging that you had lectured on law at Dublin University and that now you are an electrician and the Chairwhatever of the Irish Pig Growers Association and you probably could not find the Irish Republic on a map even if you were offer 5 kilos of semtex at 50% off. You seem to live in some strange fantasy land where the UK will sink beneath the waves because the EU negotiators did not like the soft bus tickets in the loos.

I tell you Gerry, there are times when you sound a bit odd.
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 03:09:39 PMPretty much. As did the Poles. And after 9 years of Obain the EU Commission is seriously thinking about writing a rude letter back. Of course, first of all they have to set up another committee to decide who is going to buy the stamp.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 03:09:39 PM
Pretty much. As did the Poles. And after 9 years of Obain the EU Commission is seriously thinking about writing a rude letter back. Of course, first of all they have to set up another committee to decide who is going to buy the stamp.
And they decided "oh bollocks,they've left".....something else we'll all have to pay for..

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 02:44:58 PMApparently a trade war with the UK will knock 3% off the Irish growth rate for 2021 and knock the country's beef farmers sideways. Admittedly, the Irish beef farmers are continually being knocked sideways by the Irish beef industry so there will be no change there.

I suppose all we can do is wait upon events and hope that Simon Coveney does not send the Garda to arrest us.

Wow, IRL must have a great growth rate forcast if we can drop 3% from it. What's the growth rate forecast for UK and IRL next yr then ?

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on November 16, 2020, 02:10:16 PMGood luck with that Gerry. Ireland is the EU as you keep saying, so you'll have those sanctions to deal with. Just what Ireland needs, a trade war with the UK.
Well we have shifted from 20% of our exports going to the UK to approx 10%, but yes the UK will be grand, only 45% of your exports go there, no affect on the UK at all.