Brexit: Boris Johnson misses EU deadline to explain breach of international law

Started by Dynamis, November 09, 2020, 11:31:20 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2020, 11:33:06 PMThe UK didn't break EU rules as such, they failed to spot some fraud. That's not acting in a rogue manner.

As for Poland and Hungary it doesn't look simple. They've got the EU by the nuts by vetoing the Budget, with some countries desperate for the addition CV-19 cash. Let's see who blinks first there.
The EU budget 2021 to 27 was agreed in Sept. The 1.8T stimulus fund is what Hungary is blocking, why its not clear but it looks like he's blocking because he can. Hungry and Poland both would greatly benefit from this funding but it looks like Orban doesn't much care about is people. We'll see how this plays out, if there are too many concessions given to Hungary then other member states will kick off.  There will also be a strong reluctance to veto Hungary as the EU is rules based and the principal of each country having a voice is still a fundamental principal of the EU. Either way a compromise will be found, Orban is just putting himself in the spotlight and playing the big man. Time will tell as this needs sorting in the next couple of weeks.

These are prob the priorities for the EU, C19 and the 1.8T fund then prob climate change and ongoing FTA's that are going places. Brexit falls in somewhere below that.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 11:24:13 PM
Is that why the UK was told to pay 2.7b for breaking EU custom duties rules, a UK-China fraud. Thats what the EU will do, with regard to Hungary, poland or any other EU country it will take action for breaching EU rules, its very simple. Its just not done the way you like, which would prob involve firig some missiles and sending out the navy.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-demands-uk-pay-e2-7-billion-in-lost-customs-duties/

The UK didn't break EU rules as such, they failed to spot some fraud. That's not acting in a rogue manner.

As for Poland and Hungary it doesn't look simple. They've got the EU by the nuts by vetoing the Budget, with some countries desperate for the addition CV-19 cash. Let's see who blinks first there.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2020, 11:12:14 PM
You're confusing rule abiding nations and rogue nations. My previous post was outlining what the EU can do with a country that stick 2 fingers up. Countries that follow the rules are very different.
Is that why the UK was told to pay 2.7b for breaking EU custom duties rules, a UK-China fraud. Thats what the EU will do, with regard to Hungary, poland or any other EU country it will take action for breaching EU rules, its very simple. Its just not done the way you like, which would prob involve firig some missiles and sending out the navy.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-demands-uk-pay-e2-7-billion-in-lost-customs-duties/

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 10:41:16 PM
So what was all the fuss about the EU taking your sovereignty. Or are you just starting to understand that the real power has and always will sit within each members state.

You're confusing rule abiding nations and rogue nations. My previous post was outlining what the EU can do with a country that stick 2 fingers up. Countries that follow the rules are very different.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2020, 09:54:16 PM
As you've pointed out, the EU is in control of sod all. All they can do is take this opportunity to block a few snouts from the trough.

So what was all the fuss about the EU taking your sovereignty. Or are you just starting to understand that the real power has and always will sit within each members state.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2020, 09:31:50 PM
But Hungary and Poland ain't and there is sod all the EU has managed to do about it. :)

As you've pointed out, the EU is in control of sod all. All they can do is take this opportunity to block a few snouts from the trough.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 09:08:26 PM
The Uk can do what it want's, so can Hungary and so can the EU, but if you make a deal with the EU we expect you to keep up your end of the bargain.

But Hungary and Poland ain't and there is sod all the EU has managed to do about it. :)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 09:08:26 PM
Making dinner, Fajitas and very nice they were.  We're not telling the UK what to do, more like we're telling you how we think its going to work out and seeing the car crash happen in front of us. The Uk can do what it want's, so can Hungary and so can the EU, but if you make a deal with the EU we expect you to keep up your end of the bargain. Doesn't matter whether that's Hungary or the UK, except the EU will cut Hungary a lot of slack and bend the rules here and there for them, their members you know.
Yeah well the eu is full of members....literally
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on November 16, 2020, 08:47:14 PM
That took some time,and totally unconvincing.
Making dinner, Fajitas and very nice they were.  We're not telling the UK what to do, more like we're telling you how we think its going to work out and seeing the car crash happen in front of us. The Uk can do what it want's, so can Hungary and so can the EU, but if you make a deal with the EU we expect you to keep up your end of the bargain. Doesn't matter whether that's Hungary or the UK, except the EU will cut Hungary a lot of slack and bend the rules here and there for them, their members you know.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 16, 2020, 08:45:12 PM
The brexit process affects all EU members, IRL especially as we were tied more closely than other EU countries. We held no part in the decision for brexit, it's very different. Where people could travel, trade, work, live freely with all the protections available, that now is changed forever. A more drastic change for a UK citizen.

I don't think there's many supporting what Hungary is doing but as I've said the EU has responded and will continue to do so. What has the UK done, will it make a public statement on Hungary, maybe send it's dilomats home ?
That took some time,and totally unconvincing.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on November 16, 2020, 05:36:33 PM
So why are you so worried about what we do,bit rich wouldn't you say?

What's up Gerry cat got your tongue,this clubhouse a bit warm is it!didn't think your post through did you?

The brexit process affects all EU members, IRL especially as we were tied more closely than other EU countries. We held no part in the decision for brexit, it's very different. Where people could travel, trade, work, live freely with all the protections available, that now is changed forever. A more drastic change for a UK citizen.

I don't think there's many supporting what Hungary is doing but as I've said the EU has responded and will continue to do so. What has the UK done, will it make a public statement on Hungary, maybe send it's dilomats home ?

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on November 16, 2020, 07:48:08 PM
Well done, 1 out of those 3 quotes are actually something I said.

I noticed you keep attributing quotes from other posters to me in other threads too. Well, when lacking a useful argument...

Where?

Borg Refinery

Well done, 1 out of those 3 quotes are actually something I said.

I noticed you keep attributing quotes from other posters to me in other threads too. Well, when lacking a useful argument...
+++

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on November 15, 2020, 05:30:50 PMFrom what I see, countries like Poland have become stabilised i'to almost being net contributors.

Quote from: Dynamis on November 16, 2020, 06:44:02 PMBut Hungary and Poland are both big beneficiaries of the EU

But of a change of heart there!

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on November 16, 2020, 06:44:02 PMThe only way to cut down on tax avoidance is a united global approach to how corporate tax revenue is taxed

What's wrong with TAX avoidance?