Greg Clarke resigns as Football Association chairman after remark about black

Started by Borchester, November 10, 2020, 11:31:52 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Javert on November 11, 2020, 12:45:10 PM
I was asking the same question so I looked into it.

Apparently this term is offensive because it implies that white people are set apart compared to all other ethnic groups and therefore implies the superiority of white people.
When uttered by a Boer, maybe.
My problem  now is similar to one stated below. When we mix up the whites and garments of colour i endup with a washing line full of strung up commie pinkos where the boxer shorts used to be
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Javert

Quote from: patman post on November 11, 2020, 07:21:46 PM
Assuming there's no intention to insult or cause offense, it's probably an age thing.
Older people who've not had much interaction with foreigners or people of other ethnicities, religions, sexuality, etc, are likely to carry on using the terms they're accustomed to hearing and using. No sense in others getting steamed up over it.

Mind you, anyone in a position of responsibility — whatever age — who's not aware of how they're expected to behave, guide others, and refer to others needs to be put right...

I think what they were saying is that he has already been put right many times, done the training, etc etc and then he is blatantly making all these offensive comments whilst talking to a parliamentary committee - in other words it was part of his actual job description not to use such offensive language.

patman post

Assuming there's no intention to insult or cause offense, it's probably an age thing.
Older people who've not had much interaction with foreigners or people of other ethnicities, religions, sexuality, etc, are likely to carry on using the terms they're accustomed to hearing and using. No sense in others getting steamed up over it.

Mind you, anyone in a position of responsibility — whatever age — who's not aware of how they're expected to behave, guide others, and refer to others needs to be put right...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

It's getting difficult now when sorting the washing into loads. Never sure whether they are whites, coloured, non-whites, 60C or whether to call the woollens sheep.
† The end is nigh †

Javert

I was asking the same question so I looked into it.

Apparently this term is offensive because it implies that white people are set apart compared to all other ethnic groups and therefore implies the superiority of white people.

I have to admit I missed the memo on that, but I can see the point.  It's certainly not a phrase I would use, so maybe I instinctively understood the point.

Their argument is that Greg Clarke was well aware of it, even if we on this thread were not.  Also it was not only that word - it was a bunch of other things he said that were also found offensive, not just yesterday but in the past also.

I guess the point is that in his role as the ambassador for equality in that sport, he shouldn't be saying those things, or if he does, he is clearly the wrong person for that particular job.

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 11, 2020, 06:43:54 AM
Im not clear on what he said that was 'abhorrent' or needed pulling up by Labours Kevin Brennan .  The term 'People of colour ' or coloured players which was the 'offensive ' term used  is stretching being offended off the scale . 

Maybe they just wanted him out  or maybe the FA have decided former PFA chairman  Garth Crooks needs better work than part time at the BBC ..
Ditto SW,worst case is he's a bloke from a different time zone and he is correct there was a time calling someone black was considered offensive  you were advised to say coloured now that has been reversed.
Gareth Crooks team of the week eh! know what you mean  ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Im not clear on what he said that was 'abhorrent' or needed pulling up by Labours Kevin Brennan .  The term 'People of colour ' or coloured players which was the 'offensive ' term used  is stretching being offended off the scale . 

Maybe they just wanted him out  or maybe the FA have decided former PFA chairman  Garth Crooks needs better work than part time at the BBC ..