Happy Christmas from the RMT

Started by Churchill, November 07, 2019, 01:01:40 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5650 time=1573657428 user_id=69
I have just looked looked at a few pictures of Penzance Railway Station

Penzance was refurbished and upgraded a few years ago, further up the line some of the stations look so derelict you could be forgiven if you thought the railway as being derelict.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

I have just looked looked at a few pictures of Penzance Railway Station and I can see a CCTV camera on a post, as it is a busy large station I would expect in this day and age it will be well covered I would be very surprised if not.

I am sure that the owners know what they are doing plus they are obliged by law to ensure that everything that can be done is done for passengers safety, on a long train even if a guard is at the end of the train he/or she would not be able to see all of the carriages either, but they manage quite well to carry over half a million passengers a year
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

patman post

..."other staff and equipment would substitute for guards" — nothing about not replacing the guy or the functions  who's sitting reading/smoking/polishing his whistle and lamp in the end carriage...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=5647 time=1573656574 user_id=70
Not unusual on London Underground either — it gets over the problem with CCTV and station staff. Would make sense for the overground and mainline TOCs to do the same which, as they have said other staff and equipment would substitute for guards, would appear to be the case...

On some of the stations there is neither staff or CCTV.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5646 time=1573654324 user_id=89
On the Penzance to London line there are a number of curved platforms where the driver cannot see the full length of the train.

Not unusual on London Underground either — it gets over the problem with CCTV and station staff. Would make sense for the overground and mainline TOCs to do the same which, as they have said other staff and equipment would substitute for guards, would appear to be the case...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=5644 time=1573653401 user_id=69
As I understand it other lines run trains with no guard and have been for a number of years quite safely , including the London underground which has had no guards for donkeys years

On the Penzance to London line there are a number of curved platforms where the driver cannot see the full length of the train.

Churchill

As I understand it other lines run trains with no guard and have been for a number of years quite safely , including the London underground which has had no guards for donkeys years
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=4687 time=1573194283 user_id=53
Does that level of service include having a railway employee on hand to answer any enquiries , nip anti social behaviour in the bud and maybe help people in need of assistance ?

The TOC statements I've seen state the idea is not to remove personnel from passenger trains, but gain efficiency by upgrading the responsibilities of train managers.

Some freight trains in other countries have already dispensed with a separate guard...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=5056 time=1573330836 user_id=70
Thought you'd claimed to have been banned/barred from several forums — or is it only the keyboard that allows you to parade  your alter ego...?

I have but that is not physically thrown out of anywhere. I am not responsible for "precious" internet forums.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4964 time=1573318579 user_id=89
Actually I have never been thrown out of anywhere.

Thought you'd claimed to have been banned/barred from several forums — or is it only the keyboard that allows you to parade  your alter ego...?

Churchill

You would not even get into my house with your lack of humour Comrade, we laugh a lot in our house sometimes we stay up singing and dancing as late as half past seven some nights

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=4940 time=1573314203 user_id=69
You have probably been thrown out of worse places than London, I have :lol:

Actually I have never been thrown out of anywhere.

Churchill

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4693 time=1573199086 user_id=89
I would not go to London for a bet.

You have probably been thrown out of worse places than London, I have :lol:

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=4813 time=1573246341 user_id=53
Your doing it all wrong Barron , sit in the quiet wagon , headphones a bottle of vodka maybe a good book and don't make eye contact with anyone but your idea of miss world .  The time fly's bye ,trust me on this .  ;)

I do sit in a "quiet" cabin and they still rap out the sound of their own voices.

It's the "If you see anything suspicious" one which really gets me angry. They are brainwashing people to become a curtain-twitching society, and I hate the way that anything which is slightly different to their brainwashed world is seen as suspicious. bloke on his own - suspicious.

I think the trains are the clearest sign we are now governed by soviets, because that is how it was in that time.

As for headphones, I went out of my way to buy a big chunky pair which cover your whole ear and has noise cancelling circuitry in it, so with any luck I will manage. Trying to smoke a fag in the station though, needs military style strategic planning. The best place is the train toilet because they have an extractor fan, as long as you blow the smoke into the vent.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=4757 time=1573223617 user_id=74
I'd rather they shut up. One day i'm going to punch a BR PA speaker in or do a Blues Brothers job on it with a bit of lighter gas and a lighter.

"If you see something suspicious..."

"The over-priced drinks are on sale in the bar"

"Please have all your belongings with you before leaving the train" - no really, I thought you are supposed to leave them on the train!!!

Your doing it all wrong Barron , sit in the quiet wagon , headphones a bottle of vodka maybe a good book and don't make eye contact with anyone but your idea of miss world .  The time fly's bye ,trust me on this .  ;)