Happy Christmas from the RMT

Started by Churchill, November 07, 2019, 01:01:40 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4758 time=1573223920 user_id=89
It was discussed on the other forum.

Is that the forum we can't see any more, or dare to remember your old nom-de-plume?  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=4755 time=1573223297 user_id=70Link(s)...?

It was discussed on the other forum.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=4687 time=1573194283 user_id=53
Does that level of service include having a railway employee on hand to answer any enquiries , nip anti social behaviour in the bud and maybe help people in need of assistance ?

I'd rather they shut up. One day i'm going to punch a BR PA speaker in or do a Blues Brothers job on it with a bit of lighter gas and a lighter.

"If you see something suspicious..."

"The over-priced drinks are on sale in the bar"

"Please have all your belongings with you before leaving the train" - no really, I thought you are supposed to leave them on the train!!!
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4754 time=1573223142 user_id=89
Really? It was swift action by guards that prevented what could have been serious injury/deaths.

Link(s)...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=4745 time=1573220584 user_id=70
As most train accidents appear to have been caused by employee mistakes,

Really? It was swift action by guards that prevented what could have been serious injury/deaths.

Churchill

I found this informative and gives more than one side of the argument a researched article , not anecdotal

https://www.railway-technology.com/features/driver-only-trains-safety">https://www.railway-technology.com/feat ... ins-safety">https://www.railway-technology.com/features/driver-only-trains-safety
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4666 time=1573163997 user_id=89
I would not use a train on the line from Penzance to London if there were no guards, there have been too many near miss accidents where a death has only been prevented by the guard.

As most train accidents appear to have been caused by employee mistakes, it would seem appropriate to move staff away from where they can interfere with the running of the service.

The root of the current threat is the unions' desire to take the whole network back into public/state/worker ownership. The guard/train manager argument is just an excuse...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Churchill

The buck will always end up with the Government on the railways and many other industrial disputes eventually, but this particular dispute has been going on for too long they are supposed to be sensible adults on both sides, they should have come to a sensible agreement by now.

In my opinion this is nothing to do with passenger safety a smoke screen by the Union a power struggle a politically motived one which the traveling fare public are having to endure they are being used by the RMT to hit the management around the head with.

It is as plain as a Pike Staff the RMT want the entire railway system to be renationalised with themselves holding the throttle, if that would be a good thing or bad is debateable, I am glad I no longer have to travel on them it was not good years ago and by the look of it not much better now just more expensive.
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Borg Refinery

"What has the Government got to do with this, its an argument between the RMT and those who run that part of the railway, system, as far as I am aware over one thing the need for guards on their trains."

Sorry churchy but that was a stupid question; he explained once and furthermore..they (and their brokering org ACAS, who should be there helping things) are responsible for keeping the railways running ultimately...

...ie they're wasting public money in a giveaway to crap train franchises. So much for privatization, it's just state money thrown at private corporations..
+++

Churchill

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=4606 time=1573146762 user_id=75
You can thank the government for forcing unions to strile longer thanks to the Trade Union Act. As for the strikers if they don't fight to protect their interests nobody else will, especially it seems, people like you.

You have jumped to a very wrong assumption you have no idea what type of person I am how could you

I am from the times when Unions ruled the roost I was forced to join a Union if I had not I would not be allowed to work, I lived and managed to work through the bad old days on the 70's and 80's when the entire country was brought to its knees by organised industrial unrest, however I am not anti Union.

I was a Union member until  quite recently even today they have their uses simply as a precaution to look after my interest and the discounts available to me and benefits if sick injured or died in harness simple as that self preservation, I never needed them thankfully however when Unison balloted to strike I said No.

Union membership today is very low most workers are not in one they are no longer forced to be in one, anyway

What has the Government got to do with this, its an argument between the RMT and those who run that part of the railway, system, as far as I am aware over one thing the need for guards on their trains.

Union claims they need to be on board for passenger safety the management say no not in this day and age, as already pointed out many trains no longer need guards or conductors checking ticket and function very well with a very good proven safety, CCTV is in place passengers can contact the driver visa versa  plus drivers can contact their HQ or whatever they are called.  

If I recall correctly no jobs will be lost, guards will be retained and retrained  :)  no pun intended, so just what is the real reason for these continual strikes ?

Sheepy

I doubt they miss you Papasmurf,but on the real side,lets not ignore the Elephant in the room,that with technology comes the need for less staff as bosses are profit for shareholders and themselves come first,it has been the growing way for decades,as everything skilled becomes less Labour intensive,while manual Labour through Labours own policies of mass unskilled immigration has created a system of poorer pay and harder living conditions.It has become a treadmill for them with self created prophecies.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=4688 time=1573194420 user_id=53
OK you have changed my mind ,sack all the guards and save London from Papasmurf   ;)

I would not go to London for a bet.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4666 time=1573163997 user_id=89
I would not use a train on the line from Penzance to London if there were no guards, there have been too many near miss accidents where a death has only been prevented by the guard.

OK you have changed my mind ,sack all the guards and save London from Papasmurf   ;)

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=4663 time=1573163764 user_id=74
I use the train at Christmas but I hate doing it. It's the train that runs from Bristol to London that i use, and if these people mess it up for me then I'm going to get very annoyed with them. I expect a level of service because I'm the customer.

Does that level of service include having a railway employee on hand to answer any enquiries , nip anti social behaviour in the bud and maybe help people in need of assistance ?

papasmurf