Re:postal voting

Started by Javert, November 10, 2020, 06:07:39 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2020, 11:18:58 PM
Easy for a f**king retiree to say. If voting has to cost money it will be the poor who are disenfranchised. That enhances democracy not one iota.

UK polling stations are open to accommodate all working hours, no one has to lose pay.

I organised my work specifically to flew back from Salt Lake City and vote Leave in 2016. There are always those that can't get to the polling stations on the day but surely with today's technology we can come up with a secure online system that is fiddle proof.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on November 10, 2020, 10:42:50 PM
No, being prepared to give up a few hours wages so as to go to the polling station enhances democracy. Refusing to give up few quid in order to do so just makes you a very sad little cap.
Easy for a fucking retiree to say. If voting has to cost money it will be the poor who are disenfranchised. That enhances democracy not one iota.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2020, 06:55:18 PM
Postal voting is a lifeline that enhances democracy.

No, being prepared to give up a few hours wages so as to go to the polling station enhances democracy. Refusing to give up few quid in order to do so just makes you a very sad little cap.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2020, 09:18:59 PM
As far as I know, in most of Europe they ask for ID.
In England and Wales and Scotland it' fine to just turn up and say who you are and where you live.

Which is very stupid, of course. ID should always be required and postal votes should not be allowed. Turn up with ID and vote, or don't get counted.
Some of us work stupendous hours, others are physically disabled. Postal voting is a lifeline that enhances democracy. I take issue with those wishing to restrict democracy by making it harder. It often masks a nefarious agenda,
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Javert

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2020, 09:18:59 PM
As far as I know, in most of Europe they ask for ID.
In England and Wales and Scotland it' fine to just turn up and say who you are and where you live.

Which is very stupid, of course. ID should always be required and postal votes should not be allowed. Turn up with ID and vote, or don't get counted.

Postal voting has been in widespread use in many countries for well over 100 years, and is generally considered just as secure as in person voting, in some ways more so.

Without postal, a lot of people are disenfranchised for various reasons.