Re:postal voting

Started by Javert, November 10, 2020, 06:07:39 PM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on November 11, 2020, 05:37:13 PM
As seen in Leicester ?? Where the guy was going round the Muslim community forcing complete households to vote Labour. The same guy who did time for voter fraud and later seen in the counting houses.

Which come to the root of the problem. Postal votes play into the hand of the very undemocratic strands within that community.
It actually robs the most vulnerable members of that and other similar communities of their right to vote freely and I am especially thinking about women.
The first pressure will be to vote by post (or proxy) rather than vote in person at a booth on the day.
The second pressure will be to vote for someone else's preference rather than there own.
I know, that many women in these communities would love to see real change at all levels in their areas and representation, but that (and ironically) it is all too often, those that express concern for their welfare, that align themselves with the very forces that repress their aspirations.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on November 11, 2020, 07:58:28 PM
To be fair, you can see Steve's point. The idea was that we would collect our pensions, spend 6 months in front of the fire and the pop our clogs. But even with all these fashionable bugs the media keep inventing, folk seem to live forever. So when Steve reaches pensionable he will probably find that the pot is empty and that ke will have to work and work until he keels over, without reward or respite.

Still, as long as he is happy  :)
Well TBH the pot is already empty,I like Barry have paid my dues but was told that no the money you paid In was already spent and it's the people of today paying your pension,covid and recession may well make that difficult.

Anyway back to postal voting,it of course should be allowed only until a more secure method and electronically is available.

And now the official bit topic had gone a long way from concession speech so was split
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

Well, skinheads were a feature of voting at Grazebrook Primary school in super liberal enclave Stoke Newington, Diane Abbott's area, in the old days from what I was told. If that's what you got there then imagine what it was like in other areas, the same things were going on in Islington and Woolwich also.

I guess that might be a reason for people not liking the idea. The yanks told me for a FACT, that some of em' saw loudmouthed rude Dems pressuring folks, and Trumpist activists too,outside the poll stations.

So it's not "perfect", that's rubbish. I've never seen trouble when voting in Hastings but then I go late to avoid queues. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some drunk, loud leftists or Brexit freetards were screeching at and threatening folk.
+++

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on November 11, 2020, 05:23:43 PM
What a rude post.
And you think you pay for my pension? I paid for them, laddie, since before you were born.

To be fair, you can see Steve's point. The idea was that we would collect our pensions, spend 6 months in front of the fire and the pop our clogs. But even with all these fashionable bugs the media keep inventing, folk seem to live forever. So when Steve reaches pensionable he will probably find that the pot is empty and that ke will have to work and work until he keels over, without reward or respite.

Still, as long as he is happy  :)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 11, 2020, 01:55:09 PMThe real problem with postal votes is that is removes the freedom

As seen in Leicester ?? Where the guy was going round the Muslim community forcing complete households to vote Labour. The same guy who did time for voter fraud and later seen in the counting houses.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 11, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
The real problem with postal votes is that is removes the freedom and anonymity of the voting booth.

No, the real problem is that if someone can't be arsed to go to the polling station he probably won't be bothered to schlepp round to the post box either.

One of the reasons the right wins does better at the polls is because they vote while the left makes excuses
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 11, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
The real problem with postal votes is that is removes the freedom and anonymity of the voting booth.
In the booth, you can vote for who you like and nobody will ever be the wiser.
People filling out a postal ballot can be pressured, coerced, brow beaten and supervised by others.
It all falls far short of the basic test of fair and free.
That is a legitimate concern.

But we all have the right to either request a postal vote or to vote in person. Anyone who fears coercion from others in their household still has the option not to choose a postal vote. Besides which, the sheer convenience of postal voting for many outweighs such concerns in my view and making voting easier inevitably translates into greater participation, thus enhancing democracy. There can certainly be no possible objection on such grounds to people who live on their own like me requesting a postal vote. There is after all no one else in my household to coerce me, and no one for me to coerce. My home is effectively as private as any ballot box because there is only me in it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sampanviking

In the booth, you can vote for who you like and nobody will ever be the wiser.
People filling out a postal ballot can be pressured, coerced, brow beaten and supervised by others.
It all falls far short of the basic test of fair and free.

Javert

Quote from: Thomas on November 11, 2020, 08:12:33 AM
After spending four years streetwalker trying to overturn democracy using every conspiracy theory in the book regarding brexit , including wanting the referendum overturned simply because politicians lied , javert now says conspiracy theories are off the menu now , becuase he likes the result of this election. :D

I don't recall ever claiming that voting fraud was causing any previous election result in the UK.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on November 10, 2020, 11:08:51 AM
I think that fingerprint ID technology is available in most police cars, these days. However, a lot of law abiding people have not had their fingerprints registered. (Unless their smart phones are leaking data, of course)
Yes, I'm sure making it so every convict and immigrant can vote will help no end ...
It wouldnlt worry me of course, my prints and dna are on the rapists database "for elimination purposes" right next to the guy who sarah and i helped put away. I just wish i coud say help put down, but i live in hope of that
and as i said when i commented on the voting trials, the authorities that required photo id provided a meant for those who did nt have any to apply for some for the voting free of charge using the same process as they use for my free bus pass. Which I probably wont ever get to use again.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on November 11, 2020, 10:21:44 AM
Polling stations are open 15 hours, from 07:00 to 22:00 so don't give us all that flannel.
Disabled people can appoint a proxy.
And I sometimes work 14 hour days. So just because you retirees have all the time in the world do not assume the same of the rest of us who are working hard to pay your pensions. And you want to make voting less convenient for us? Why? What purpose does that serve beyond petty ideological meanness? If postal voting increases turnout then it is beneficial to democracy surely? You are just being both self rightious and mean-spirited, as you choose to potter down to the polling station at your leisure with all the time in the world, feeling pride in exercising your civic duty and resenting those with much less spare time not doing the same and choosing to vote by post.

I say tough shit to you on that one. I will continue to vote by post out of sheer convenience so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2020, 06:55:18 PMSome of us work stupendous hours, others are physically disabled.
Polling stations are open 15 hours, from 07:00 to 22:00 so don't give us all that flannel.
Disabled people can appoint a proxy.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2020, 11:18:58 PM
Easy for a f**king retiree to say. If voting has to cost money it will be the poor who are disenfranchised. That enhances democracy not one iota.

How much would you lose Steve? A couple of hours pay? Forty or fifty pounds? You would sell your birth right for fifty pounds?

Do you remember when Jeremy Corbyn flooded the Labour party with new members at thirty shillings a head for life and he uttered the immortal words, "The great thing about the left is that it comes cheap."?

Nice to see that things haven't changed much. :)
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 11, 2020, 06:05:50 AM

I dont know how its considered as secure when its been proven to have flaws . I get that some can't attend but as Nick says ,with todays tech  secure online voting would be the way forward for those who can't get to the local booth

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/councillors-guilty-postal-votes-fraud-would-shame-banana-republic-5350422.html

After spending four years streetwalker trying to overturn democracy using every conspiracy theory in the book regarding brexit , including wanting the referendum overturned simply because politicians lied , javert now says conspiracy theories are off the menu now , becuase he likes the result of this election. :D

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Javert on November 10, 2020, 06:07:39 PM
Postal voting has been in widespread use in many countries for well over 100 years, and is generally considered just as secure as in person voting, in some ways more so.

Without postal, a lot of people are disenfranchised for various reasons.

I dont know how its considered as secure when its been proven to have flaws . I get that some cant attend but as Nick says ,with todays tech  secure online voting would be the way forward for those who cant get to the local booth

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/councillors-guilty-postal-votes-fraud-would-shame-banana-republic-5350422.html