Re:He who pays the pension calls the tune?

Started by Barry, November 11, 2020, 05:23:43 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Quote from: Barry on November 11, 2020, 05:23:43 PMWhat a rude post.
And you think you pay for my pension? I paid for them, laddie, since before you were born.

This is a common misunderstanding.

If your pension was entirely accrued by money that you paid into a private pension pot in your own name, you can make a case that your pension is entirely yours and all paid for over the decades.

However other than that (for example UK state pension), the pension paid to UK citizens is covered from current budgets each year - there is not a huge pot of cash sitting in the Bank of England with all the pension money for all the people who have paid in.

To put it very clearly, if the economy completely collapsed, there would be no money to pay your pension, so in that sense, he is actually completely correct to say that he is paying your pension.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on November 11, 2020, 11:21:30 AM
And I sometimes work 14 hour days. So just because you retirees have all the time in the world do not assume the same of the rest of us who are working hard to pay your pensions. And you want to make voting less convenient for us? Why? What purpose does that serve beyond petty ideological meanness? If postal voting increases turnout then it is beneficial to democracy surely? You are just being both self rightious and mean-spirited, as you choose to potter down to the polling station at your leisure with all the time in the world, feeling pride in exercising your civic duty and resenting those with much less spare time not doing the same and choosing to vote by post.

I say tough shit to you on that one. I will continue to vote by post out of sheer convenience so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
What a rude post.
And you think you pay for my pension? I paid for them, laddie, since before you were born.
† The end is nigh †