Main Menu

PM self isolating

Started by Barry, November 15, 2020, 10:11:35 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on November 16, 2020, 10:31:24 AM
IF, and it is a very big IF, the PM is not immune after having CV19, then there is no hope for any vaccine, is there?
So best not to bother and stop all this silly lockdown business.
Treat the sick and dying. Move on with life.
Yeah but, covid could return at anytime, so to stop it taking over, you might need many jabs. After all you cannot see it or hear it coming it is stealthy. You must defeat it and save the NHS. Its like I know what Javert will say before he writes it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Javert

Quote from: Barry on November 16, 2020, 10:31:24 AM
IF, and it is a very big IF, the PM is not immune after having CV19, then there is no hope for any vaccine, is there?

not really, because there may be some % of people who are not immune or whose immunity only lasts a short time - not everyone is the same.

By spreading around the "certainty" that everyone who has, or thinks they have had, covid is permanently immune from future infections, you are participating the dangerous spread of disinformation that will eventually increase the number of people in hospital and lives lost.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: Javert on November 16, 2020, 10:25:44 AM
It's not that simple.  As a generalisation and within unknown time limits it's very likely correct, but there are all sorts of complexities involved.
More babble and BS.
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: Barry on November 16, 2020, 10:20:51 AM
The science argument, Javert, is that people are immune from coronaviruses after having been infected.

It's not that simple.  As a generalisation and within unknown time limits it's very likely correct, but there are all sorts of complexities involved.

Barry

The science argument, Javert, is that people are immune from coronaviruses after having been infected.
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: Barry on November 16, 2020, 09:29:51 AM
Yes

OK well thanks.  That's a consistent position.

The argument seems to be that just because someone has already had Covid, we don't know for sure how long their immunity will last, and even if they are immune from severe symptoms, we don't know if that means they cannot be infected and pass it to someone else.  That's the science argument.

There is then the practical argument - if the PM says that he's not going to self isolate because he's had it already, everyone else who has had it, and crucially many people who have had a cold and decided that they have had it, will also ignore the rules. 

Therefore to make this work, which actually I wouldn't have a huge problem with personally, you would have to have a reliable and secure system of proving that someone has had Covid-19 or has been vaccinated, which could be checked by all authorities, public, private, and so on - for example to get into a pub, you would need to prove that you have already had Covid using some kind of document.

Many people will argue that this is unfair, and of course many people will try to forge whatever document it is that gets you into the pub.

Then you would have lots of people deliberately trying to get Covid so they can get a passport of that type.

There is also a moral and ethical argument that this would be somehow unfair on those who haven't had it as it's not their fault that they haven't had Covid yet.

So whilst I might agree with your point in theory, there are a lot of issues in trying to put it in place without causing major problems.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on November 16, 2020, 09:29:51 AM
Yes

Barry you are very adamant in your belief, what are you basing that on?  I can't help but feel that BJ is damned either way. If it got out that he hadn't isolated he would get brickbats and although he is following the guidelines he is also getting brickbats. Why are you so sure that he is immune?

Barry

Quote from: Javert on November 15, 2020, 11:42:04 PMSo to clarify when you say it's lunacy, you are saying that nobody who has previously had Covid should need to follow the self isolation rules?
Yes
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

What do we need a Prime Minster for or a President, we have a leader, it is called Covid 19. Covid makes the decisions while it is backed by millions of minions. You couldn't make that up so I didn't. We must do our new masters bidding. Our new master is all seeing, there is no escape from it, it is everywhere, your only choice for freedom from this new master is a vaccination. or for sure it will kill you.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2020, 11:00:29 PM
Change the record.

(changes record)

You'll like this one -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2lSAxw75co

..Not quite as good as the Sinatra classic but.   :D
+++

Javert

Quote from: Barry on November 15, 2020, 10:11:35 PM
Boris Johnson, who has recovered from a serious bout of the China Virus has now had to self isolate after being contacted by track and trace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54954698

This is lunacy.

So to clarify when you say it's lunacy, you are saying that nobody who has previously had Covid should need to follow the self isolation rules?

So for example me who has had Covid and has had two positive antibody tests including one in September doesn't need to follow the rules, but you who claims to have had it but never tested positive should follow them?

Or if not what is the lunacy?

I would actually be fine with that but I'm pretty sure all hell would break loose with the "it's not fair" brigade.

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on November 15, 2020, 10:51:48 PMevery human failing imaginable in this shambolic govt.

Change the record.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Um, IIRC Spanish strain of COVID can reinfect someone who's had the other less potent one I think.

But everything going on in the country is far beyond lunacy and if it continues, I think people are going to go f**king loopy and I mean as in really insane not just some middle class sign waving crap.

To lockdown or not to lockdown is less important than whether yhings are administered competently in either case, and we have seen every human failing imaginable in this shambolic govt.

I think selling out the Brexiters could be the last straw before mass riots.

And I agree he probably is fucking lying to us, it would make sense.
+++

Barry

Julia Hartley Brewer suggested that in view of the high infection rate at No.10 Downing Street should be closed and all the pubs re-opened.

The timing of this is, well, so convenient, and the fact he is isolating when immune is just as I said in the op, LUNACY!

Javert will be along shortly to say that a person in Mexico got it twice, and his uncle's cousin once had a cough in Khartoum, so it's right the PM is taking all precautions. (Makes a change for Boris)
† The end is nigh †