Benefits should be paid weekly...?

Started by patman post, November 07, 2019, 06:08:07 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Live near Stoke Newington fire station in the London Borough of Hackney, parents still live in Dalston. We're more towards the inner city than Stamford Hill.

Based on average deprivation ranking Hackney ranks as the second most deprived Local Authority in the country. In 2010 it was ranked as first, so I guess it is getting wealthier...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=4619 time=1573150087 user_id=70
Universal credit is paid monthly based on the idea that the majority of people in work are paid monthly. Its creators wanted to make the experience of budgeting on benefits feel similar whether a household is in work or out.  

Now posters of the professionally unwaged are bleating that the recipients of Universal Credit need to be cut more slack because they cannot handle being paid monthly...

N16 used to be my postcode matey. That's where I woz dragged up. Are you stationed in Stamford Hill? I might have bumped into you several times, I knew one caribbean bloke from there who live round Finsbury Park IIRC.

No offence but it's all well and good if you're a well-off middle-class Norff Londoner matey, but with respect; I'm afraid you're wholly divorced from the reality of this, clearly. And that's a good thing.. ya don't wanna be in that position, not ever.

Papa is completely correct in all his observations.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=4660 time=1573163294 user_id=74
You would have to make changes so you can cover your costs. Also the sooner you do the better off you will be. This is just logic. I'm not trying to make a political point, but just trying to help.

Mate you really do not have a clue, there are no changes they can make to cover costs because of the way Universal Credit actually is designed to put them into debt.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=4656 time=1573162055 user_id=89
Did you bother reading that link. If you don't have enough income to cover your outgoings it does not matter how disciplined you are.

You would have to make changes so you can cover your costs. Also the sooner you do the better off you will be. This is just logic. I'm not trying to make a political point, but just trying to help.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=4655 time=1573161334 user_id=74
They should learn budgeting discipline.

Did you bother reading that link. If you don't have enough income to cover your outgoings it does not matter how disciplined you are.

Baron von Lotsov

They should learn budgeting discipline. It should not matter at all whether it is paid weekly or monthly. Also they should not live on the breadline. They should save some of it so they have some capital behind them. This will make them richer because they will be more flexible, like able to grab a good bulk deal of something or other by having the cash. I've always lived like this myself, in that I never allow myself to reach the breadline, and this is why I'm better off, because I can sit in the long grass like a cheetah and wait for that dirt cheap deal and then pounce on it. So straight up, that's good advice for anyone. If you live on the breadline then you can be taken advantage of,and mark my words, there are many bastards out there who will do just that. So whatever your income, it pays to be organised.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=4619 time=1573150087 user_id=70
Universal credit is paid monthly based on the idea that the majority of people in work are paid monthly. Its creators wanted to make the experience of budgeting on benefits feel similar whether a household is in work or out.  

Now posters of the professionally unwaged are bleating that the recipients of Universal Credit need to be cut more slack because they cannot handle being paid monthly...

There are built in problems with Universal Credit which this link explains better than I can:-

More at link:-

https://www.usdaw.org.uk/Help-Advice/Money-Benefits/Benefits-Tax-Credits/Universal-Credit-for-people-in-work/Help-and-Advice-with-Universal-Credit-for-people-i#WaitingPeriod">https://www.usdaw.org.uk/Help-Advice/Mo ... tingPeriod">https://www.usdaw.org.uk/Help-Advice/Money-Benefits/Benefits-Tax-Credits/Universal-Credit-for-people-in-work/Help-and-Advice-with-Universal-Credit-for-people-i#WaitingPeriod

3. If you are paid 4-weekly, one UC payment per year will be reduced or may be nil:

Universal Credit is assessed on your income received during each month. If you are paid 4-weekly, you receive 13 pay packets in a year, and in one monthly assessment period, 2 of your pay packets will be assessed, rather than just one – meaning your Universal Credit payment that month will be considerably reduced.

If your 2 pay packets take you over the earnings limit for UC, you will not receive any payment for this month AND you will need to inform the UC office that you are re-claiming UC from the following month – otherwise their computer system will assume that you have ceased to be eligible and you will not receive payments in future unless you request them. However, you do not need to make a full new claim or undergo the 5 week waiting period.

Ciaphas

The problems with universal credit are legion but the government won't listen.

Streetwalker

Having survived on a wage that left little after costs for quite a few years in my early married life and experienced both monthly and weekly payments I would say being paid weekly was my preference . It allowed some flexibility with budgeting where as monthly payments are basically being paid in one hand and handing it over with the other .

However that's wages not handouts and people in receipt benefits should be paid in whatever manner is cost effective for the government , be thankful and budget accordingly .

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...