Main Menu

The French

Started by Nick, November 19, 2020, 12:54:41 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on November 19, 2020, 12:26:51 PMFish is neither a large part of the UK economy, nor does it offer a large variety of options. Outside of fish fingers, Cod & Chips, Haddock & Chips, Rock & Chips, Frozen Prawns, and canned varieties, there seems very little choice.

It's a pretty big deal to those who make a living out of it or fish for a hobby as I do.

As for options, a decent fish market will offer a minimum 25 species of U.K. fish.

Mackerel, Place, 2 types of Sole and even Megrim, Flounder, Bass, Haddock, Cod, Gurnard, Halibut, Bream, Monkfish, Rainbow Trout, Salmon, Turbot, Skate, Conger (down south), Hake, Herring, Brill, John Dory, Colefish, Pollock, Mullet, Sardines, Tuna...........

The options are most definitely not limited, I know, I've caught at least 20 of the above species around the coast of where I live.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on November 19, 2020, 12:26:51 PMMrs says farmed Sea Bass, Sea Bream

One of my pet hates sorry.

There is only one species of Bass in the U.K. and I lives in the sea, it's just called a Bass. Same as there is no such thing as a seagull.
There are however a few species of Bream. The called a Bream is just called a Bream, the ones in the sea are either Black Beam or Gilthead Bream (gold coloured bank above the mouth).

Any website using the term Seabass is just playing to the audience.

patman post

I suggest the subject of fish seem too remote to worry most people in the UK.
Fish is neither a large part of the UK economy, nor does it offer a large variety of options. Outside of fish fingers, Cod & Chips, Haddock & Chips, Rock & Chips, Frozen Prawns, and canned varieties, there seems very little choice.
Fortnum's, Harrods Food Hall, and up-market fismongers offer bigger ranges, but few offer the variety to be found in the ordinary French supermarket. And anyone used to shopping in the UK will be blown away with the choices available from usual French fresh fish market stall or shop...

PS Mrs says farmed Sea Bass, Sea Bream and Salmon have become reasonably common, but she's not a fan of the quality — mind you she's a pickled herring lover...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

QuoteAnd we wonder why a deal with the EU is being held up due to French fishing demands.

Good luck to our friends the French with their fishing negotiations. We British are the ones responsible for the mess, so we are the ones who should be making concessions.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Sitting in the IHG Express Malpensa airport bar as I was earlier I heard an interesting tale. Noe, who is now my new best friend as he served me wine, regales me with tales of how France are, and have on previous occasions stuck their noses into most elections on the African continent.

He is from Cote d'Ivoire and apparently they had an election in October where only the current president ran due to every other party boycotting it. Alassane Ouattara is apparently being propped up by Macron as Sarkozy did in 2011 where he put French boots on the ground.

And we wonder why a deal with the EU is being held up due to French fishing demands.