Main Menu

The French

Started by Nick, November 19, 2020, 12:54:41 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 02, 2020, 06:40:01 AMNo were in a mess because the Tories have dithered

Not quite true. Teresa May dithered and tried to give us BINO. And like you said, Remoaners have tried to block Brexit at every turn.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 02, 2020, 06:40:01 AM

However ,we are leaving and the fishing industry will have every opportunity to get itself into shape . Itself being the key word .

When it comes to inshore fishing that is in the process of dying and will be dead next year. That will badly effect where I live.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 02, 2020, 06:23:27 AM
There was an incident  a while back where a guy claimed a free drop as he was sure a seagull had pinched his ball . He was disqualified after some bright spark told  the club committee that there was no such thing as a seagull .

He does now (taken in good humour I might add ) has to suffer variable impressions of gull noises every time he tees off . Some bright spark has even put a model of a Laurus behind the bar on top of his favourite whisky

lol ;D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on December 01, 2020, 10:09:15 AM
The reason we're in a mess is because we're leaving the EU.  Throughout the time I argued on here for remaining in the EU I did concede that our fishing industry might be the only sector that might benefit from leaving. But it seems I was wrong, even that is going to be worse off by the look of things.

No were in a mess because the Tories have dithered  with the leaving process , remoaners have done everything they can to sabotage it and the EU have seized on the non commitment of the UK  to play us like a fiddle . We do appear to be gaining some ground back without doing anything but waiting for the EU to blink first .

However ,we are leaving and the fishing industry will have every opportunity to get itself into shape . Itself being the key word .

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on December 01, 2020, 04:44:46 PM
Find me one in a bird book, where it says Seagull.

There was an incident  a while back where a guy claimed a free drop as he was sure a seagull had pinched his ball . He was disqualified after some bright spark told  the club committee that there was no such thing as a seagull .

He does now (taken in good humour I might add ) has to suffer variable impressions of gull noises every time he tees off . Some bright spark has even put a model of a Laurus behind the bar on top of his favourite whisky 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 01, 2020, 01:54:14 PM
Based on local radio news in recent days with comment from those involved and conversations with local inshore fishermen.
The current situation is fresh fish and shellfish prices have dropped through the floor due to no demand. That will not change or get worse in January 2021.

Well the prices in your area don't follow the U.K. trend then as they just keep going up.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284997/fish-consumer-price-index-cpi-monthly-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

Nick

Quote from: patman post on December 01, 2020, 02:34:35 PMYou'll never convince me seagulls don't exist

Find me one in a bird book, where it says Seagull.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on November 19, 2020, 11:02:46 PM
One of my pet hates sorry.

There is only one species of Bass in the U.K. and I lives in the sea, it's just called a Bass. Same as there is no such thing as a seagull.
There are however a few species of Bream. The called a Bream is just called a Bream, the ones in the sea are either Black Beam or Gilthead Bream (gold coloured bank above the mouth).

Any website using the term Seabass is just playing to the audience.
You'll never convince me seagulls don't exist. I've seen too many snatch ice creams and sandwiches out of the hands of unwary seaside visitors. They also had starring billing in a 1954 Boulting Bros film.

Sea bass and sea bream are what's on the ticket. To start calling them something other than what's now their common names would be confusing.

High street fish shops or supermarket fish counters I've seen sell few varieties of fish. Those they do sell are often also offered as smoked or processed. When challenged, the fishmonger will say there's little demand for much else than cod, salmon, smoked haddock or kippers. Flat fish and others are available as and when. Sprats, sardines, squid, octopus, and shellfish are also rarities. Tinned fish and frozen imports are whole different areas.

When fish shops in the UK constantly offer anywhere near the range that's available across the channel in markets, fishmongers or supermarkets, I'll believe fishing is an essential part of the UK economy...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 01, 2020, 01:42:47 PM
Based on what?

Based on local radio news in recent days with comment from those involved and conversations with local inshore fishermen.
The current situation is fresh fish and shellfish prices have dropped through the floor due to no demand. That will not change or get worse in January 2021.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 01, 2020, 10:12:23 AM
Locally, it looks as if the inshore fishermen are finished.

Based on what?

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on December 01, 2020, 10:09:15 AM
The reason we're in a mess is because we're leaving the EU.  Throughout the time I argued on here for remaining in the EU I did concede that our fishing industry might be the only sector that might benefit from leaving. But it seems I was wrong, even that is going to be worse off by the look of things.

Locally, it looks as if the inshore fishermen are finished.

HDQQ

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 20, 2020, 07:04:04 AM
It wouldnt be any sort of mess if the EU butted out .  The UK and French are quite capable of agreeing fishing terms  that are not  conditional on  or connected to the artificial linkage of a trade deal  with the EU

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on November 19, 2020, 12:26:51 PM
I suggest the subject of fish seem too remote to worry most people in the UK.
Fish is neither a large part of the UK economy, nor does it offer a large variety of options. Outside of fish fingers, Cod & Chips, Haddock & Chips, Rock & Chips, Frozen Prawns, and canned varieties, there seems very little choice.
Fortnum's, Harrods Food Hall, and up-market fismongers offer bigger ranges, but few offer the variety to be found in the ordinary French supermarket. And anyone used to shopping in the UK will be blown away with the choices available from usual French fresh fish market stall or shop...

PS Mrs says farmed Sea Bass, Sea Bream and Salmon have become reasonably common, but she's not a fan of the quality — mind you she's a pickled herring lover...
This of course is the status quo now

Anyone of my years who has ever walked through the High Street entrance of Cardiff Market in their younger days will tell you a totally different tale. The contents of many a boat would arrive packed in ice at shit o clock in the morning and the whole entrance of that side of the market was dedicated to the half a dozen fishmongers who plied their trade to the hotels, restaurants and housewives, and the fare on sale would put a french fish market to shame.

But that was then, alas.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on November 19, 2020, 11:53:48 AM

Good luck to our friends the French with their fishing negotiations. We British are the ones responsible for the mess, so we are the ones who should be making concessions.

It wouldnt be any sort of mess if the EU butted out .  The UK and French are quite capable of agreeing fishing terms  that are not  conditional on  or connected to the artificial linkage of a trade deal  with the EU