Who’s next?

Started by Nick, November 19, 2020, 07:38:32 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on November 23, 2020, 05:29:09 PM
So very nice of you,but I and I suspect most of my countrymen have nothing to be forgiven for.
Don't flatter yourself ,couldn't give a toss really

No my Grand dad was busy being gassed by the Germans in France and his Brother got his head blown off at the Somme,mind one of his sisters had the cheek to marry a man from the north of ireland and my great great gran was from the south.
Oh and being pedantic it's their not there.

We did,we joined a common market that morphed in to a political union without our consent.
You're the one stuck in the past recounting ad nauseum the failings of the English, we've moved on.
Well when the Frau or Herr says jump and your man says how high we all see where the delusions lie.
And you don't get it or move on,like the Irish americans,still hating,who has been exploiting of late Gerry and why don't they move on and be just Americans,still you like to tell us how they'll make us suffer.
I've worked in Deutschland,yeah and met some real nutters though the younger ones were more amiable.

No Gerry,are you sure? here perhaps to gloat when you hope we'll fall on our arse.

Bloody eck cromwell, you sound full of rage in that post.

It's not like you, you're normally rather considered and thoughtful and well, I don't think your post there does you justice. You're a lot cleverer than that (don't take that badly - it's a compliment, but your post I can't compliment).

You are aware it cuts both ways wrt our govt's rhetoric? Gerry and his lot have had shit flung at them by our lot like so -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-46488479

She is one nasty piece of shit that woman, she additionally said she thinks it good to shoot and sink migrant boats, that is murder. She's like papasmurf but with tits... that's our govt for you.
+++

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 23, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
No never forget, but I have forgiven, so no problem what so ever moving on.
So very nice of you,but I and I suspect most of my countrymen have nothing to be forgiven for.

QuoteBut don't worry about it.
Don't flatter yourself ,couldn't give a toss really

QuoteI'm not talking about you or this generation but possibly your grandparents and there fathers.

No my Grand dad was busy being gassed by the Germans in France and his Brother got his head blown off at the Somme,mind one of his sisters had the cheek to marry a man from the north of ireland and my great great gran was from the south.
Oh and being pedantic it's their not there.

QuoteIt's a pity that England can't move on and see the benefits of a trading block

We did,we joined a common market that morphed in to a political union without our consent.

QuoteStuck in the past, thinking the commonwealth is waiting for the UK to come back and tell all the simple folk how things should be done.
You're the one stuck in the past recounting ad nauseum the failings of the English, we've moved on.

QuoteThose countries have moved on, it's why they favour close relationships, based on equal footing, large or small. You don't get it, still thinking Germany runs the EU, all deluded notions.
Well when the Frau or Herr says jump and your man says how high we all see where the delusions lie.

QuoteGood at what, exploitating weaker countries?
And you don't get it or move on,like the Irish americans,still hating,who has been exploiting of late Gerry and why don't they move on and be just Americans,still you like to tell us how they'll make us suffer.

QuoteNo WW11 well before my time but I have read, of course what Germany did was awful and thats putting it mildly, but you didn't see them talking about the glory days and the empire. The one's I know are embarrassed about their past. Of course you'll link some nutjob in Germany that wants the 3rd Reich back.
I've worked in Deutschland,yeah and met some real nutters though the younger ones were more amiable.

QuoteI'm not expecting or looking for apologies.

No Gerry,are you sure? here perhaps to gloat when you hope we'll fall on our arse.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

Don't mind him, he probably thinks Spike Milligan's Irish aster o'nauts sketch was a serious RTE space documentary.  :P
+++

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2020, 11:46:09 AMQuite. And most of the recent entrants have economies where modernisation means that the peasants take the eggs to market in a plastic bucket.

So, nice folk, particularly if you need a builder, but not bringing anything to the party.

Thanks Borky, you prove my point so eloquently.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on November 23, 2020, 10:16:09 AMOh and we are back to those awful English again and funny how you moan that we are hanging round the eu clubhouse but here you are despite those awful English people.
Pity you can't forget the past eh Gerry,still it's very selective isn't it when you are the eu and the eu  is you,do you remember France,Spain,Germany,Portugal the Dutch,Belgians all had their colonies and some still do?
No never forget, but I have forgiven, so no problem what so ever moving on. But don't worry about it. I'm not talking about you or this generation but possibly your grandparents and there fathers. It's a pity that England can't move on and see the benefits of a trading block that gives back a tiny percent to the weaker club members so that they can grow. Stuck in the past, thinking the commonwealth is waiting for the UK to come back and tell all the simple folk how things should be done. How the EU trade deal will be the easiest in living history. How the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs them. If your reminded how bad the UK past was then the UK might start living in reality.
Those countries have moved on, it's why they favour close relationships, based on equal footing, large or small. You don't get it, still thinking Germany runs the EU, all deluded notions.

Quote from: cromwell on November 23, 2020, 10:16:09 AMMind they were never as good as the Brits were they and that's what this is all about,does your memory stretch back to the time of WW2,were those Germans awful or is that history irrelevant now or is history only relevant when it's the English?
Good at what, exploitating weaker countries?  No WW11 well before my time but I have read, of course what Germany did was awful and thats putting it mildly, but you didn't see them talking about the glory days and the empire. The one's I know are embarrassed about their past. Of course you'll link some nutjob in Germany that wants the 3rd Reich back.

Quote from: cromwell on November 23, 2020, 10:16:09 AMYou know what's an alien concept for you Gerry that we don't share your love of the bloody eu and that we won't continually apologise for how awful you think we were.
I'm not expecting or looking for apologies. Your dislike of the EU is understood. I don't see why you think I don't get it.
But you you say "we" you are talking of a minority in the UK. An election majority at one point in time but never a majority of the people. And recently polls show a majority would have voted differently.
What we have is a UK just as divided as they were in 2016, but now with a border in the country separating NI and leaving part of the UK inline with EU rules. Another part (Scotland) considering leaving. No trade deal agreed that betters what the UK had in the EU. The cost of brexit up at 200b and you haven't left fully. Your car industry threatening to pull out. Your financial services industry diminishing with over 1Trillion leaving the UK. Was that your vision of Brexit ?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 02:57:58 PM
@Barry already point out to you were making stuff up, now you're doing it again.
Call it what you will, it was an observation, the UK left and the countries cited to follow being Hungary, France and Poland. France has a EU approval rating for the EU at 46% and a leave rating of 26%, so that shouldn't be in there. In simple terms 26% of France would vote leave, that's very different to what your suggesting. So its a basket with UK, Hungary and Poland. Nothing made up there.
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/eu-questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-on-frances-membership-of-the-eu-how-would-you-vote/

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 02:57:58 PMThe only person in the whole of this thread to use the term WTO is you.
84% of world trade is not with the EU, it's more now the UK has left but I'll stick with that.
When you say "block" outside the EU, in trade terms for the UK that's the WTO. Unless you think the UK is going to leave WTO and trade outside that, like the madman of the globe.

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 02:57:58 PMAn agreement with Canada done yesterday, on a Saturday Gerry. What does the EU know about working weekends? Nowt.
About ime the UK showed up, the EU and everyone else has been working since 2016 on Brexit. The UK has been asleep for 4 yrs. Johnson drops his shorts and bends over for the EU when he signed the WA, putting a border in the UK, what a nut job. wakey wakey.

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 02:57:58 PMAustralia and New Zealand will be concluded soon along with a few others. We're doing just fine Gerry, stop worrying about us and start worrying about what Ireland is going to do when the EU becomes defunct.
You didn't mention the great Japan deal. Details of that are leaking out. Turns out the UK gets sloppy seconds from what the EU doesn't sell to Japan, where the UK is allowed to fill the EU tariff quota only after the EU finishes it's trading. Plus the UK has signed more stringent state aide rules that were being looked for in the EU/UK trade deal. Well that was a great trade deal. Lets wait and see what the details of the other great deals the UK has signed come to light.

Now you had better tell the majority of UK politicians that the UK doesn't have a trade deal with Australia because they keep saying an Australian style trade deal with the EU would be a great thing. Have a read of what the Australians think of the UK/Australia trade talks, basically they see Johnson as a failure bumbling along from one disaster to another and really looking for that one good story. They see this as an opportunity to gouge the UK in trade talks, being able to get concessions where they wouldn't have in the past. This is the reality of Brexit, wheres the sunny uplands and unicorns ?
https://www.internationalaffairs.org.au/australianoutlook/britain-on-back-foot-second-round-of-australia-uk-trade-negotiations/

I suppose you have alternative facts. Maybe electing a leader that modelled himself on that nutter Trump wasn't such a great idea.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on November 23, 2020, 05:59:23 AM
It's about bringing relatively new entrants up to standards of convergence, in most states that's been 100% successful. It is a pretty small amount that aren't doing so well, but they are very recent entrants. They will be net contributors eventually but not if the EU breaks up.

..Then they elect alt-right govts as in Slovenia etc.  :P

That's human nature for ya. Get rich say I'm alright jack and tell the lesser beings they need a good stomping.

Feckin humans.

Quite. And most of the recent entrants have economies where modernisation means that the peasants take the eggs to market in a plastic bucket.

So, nice folk, particularly if you need a builder, but not bringing anything to the party.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 23, 2020, 08:51:10 AM
You could have said that about IRL, a limping 3rd world country after the UK was kicked out and with the help from the EU it is a net contributor to the EU. The same will happen with these countries.
Remember the EU budget is very small money, for that Germany has access to 26 countries to export freely. It's called cooperation, an alien concept for England.
Oh and we are back to those awful English again and funny how you moan that we are hanging round the eu clubhouse but here you are despite those awful English people.

Pity you can't forget the past eh Gerry,still it's very selective isn't it when you are the eu and the eu  is you,do you remember France,Spain,Germany,Portugal the Dutch,Belgians all had their colonies and some still do?

Mind they were never as good as the Brits were they and that's what this is all about,does your memory stretch back to the time of WW2,were those Germans awful or is that history irrelevant now or is history only relevant when it's the English?

You know what's an alien concept for you Gerry that we don't share your love of the bloody eu and that we won't continually apologise for how awful you think we were.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on November 22, 2020, 06:31:01 PM
I think that the EU's problem is that no one else wants to leave. The pensioner states of East Europe know that the West will prop up their creaking economies and put up with their increasing nationalism for as long as the Germans are prepared to pay for it, which right now seems to be about forever.
You could have said that about IRL, a limping 3rd world country after the UK was kicked out and with the help from the EU it is a net contributor to the EU. The same will happen with these countries.
Remember the EU budget is very small money, for that Germany has access to 26 countries to export freely. It's called cooperation, an alien concept for England.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on November 22, 2020, 06:31:01 PM
I think that the EU's problem is that no one else wants to leave. The pensioner states of East Europe know that the West will prop up their creaking economies and put up with their increasing nationalism for as long as the Germans are prepared to pay for it, which right now seems to be about forever.

It's about bringing relatively new entrants up to standards of convergence, in most states that's been 100% successful. It is a pretty small amount that aren't doing so well, but they are very recent entrants. They will be net contributors eventually but not if the EU breaks up.

..Then they elect alt-right govts as in Slovenia etc.  :P

That's human nature for ya. Get rich say I'm alright jack and tell the lesser beings they need a good stomping.

Feckin humans.
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on November 22, 2020, 01:17:40 PM
Science, technology and clinical research are particularly strong areas of UK-Canada trade. Other opportunities exist in a wide range of sectors — from oil and chemicals to engineering and media services.

Not to be sneezed at...

Indeed. several of my former work colleagues are now living there.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 22, 2020, 05:09:33 PM
France will be off when Le Pen gets in, Macron is hated by everyone and has the lowest rating out of any president ever.
He has already admitted that France would vote leave if given the vote, which he won't. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/21/emmanuel-macron-uk-yes-no-brexit-vote-mistake

Greece would leave if they could afford the paper for people to vote on, Poland and Hungary will be pushed or jump.

Whilst some countries are more Eurosceptic than others only in Greece is there a greater number with a negative view.

I have a feeling that if Remained are right and Brexit ends up a shambles it will dampen enthusiasm for leaving in other countries.

However the same forces that brought us Brexit are still at work trying to break up the EU and stole the fires of nationalism.

A fragmented Europe of nationalistic states competing with each other is not something any of us should look forward to.

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: cromwell on November 22, 2020, 05:33:52 PM
Yes beebly you're right their politicians and club are but as individual nations and people I quite like them,still they'll all realise one day a common market was a good idea. :P :P :P

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 22, 2020, 03:32:42 PM

Yes beebly your eyes right their politicians and club are but asindividual nations and people I quite like them,still they'll all realise one day a common market was a good idea. :P :P :P