Don't be thinking Electric cars will satisfy

Started by Sheepy, November 21, 2020, 10:47:13 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Going back to the title of the article linked in the original post:

Driving a car isn't a 'right' as such. It's a privilege one gains through passing a driving test. It's also a privilege that can be denied to people on medical grounds. It can also be revoked for drivers who break the law (and a lot more use should be made of disqualification in my view).

So, you've got a valid driving licence for the type of vehicle you're driving, which is roadworthy with an MOT and fully insured. You can still only drive it where permitted. If it's a large vehicle, then there are lots of weight and size restrictions. If it's a moped or a farm tractor you can't take it on a motorway.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg on May 03, 2021, 06:29:52 PM
# torque from zero rpm according to Tesla. Yeah. With the range of a fecking golf ball. Load of old shite. My ST has been "plugged in" too, when it was remapped, and its now just a few digits short of 300 horses. Ok, ok, it only does about 25mpg when driven hard, but boy is it fun to drive  :D
https://youtu.be/zYUDMRcfLfU
:) :) :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on May 09, 2021, 02:05:47 PM
I'm an ex Lib Dem. I think you're thinking about communists. I've never been one of those, not even in my 1970s student days.

Nope i would say john has it spot on , and he definetly isnae thinking about communists .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 08, 2021, 10:31:04 AM

You surprise me

I would have thought a lib dem would thoroughly embrace the dogma of denying the great unwashed their personal freedom for the good of the dogma

How can you not want the proletariat controlled and restricted from travel ...
I'm an ex Lib Dem. I think you're thinking about communists. I've never been one of those, not even in my 1970s student days.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on May 08, 2021, 06:41:20 PM
The revolution will come on a bike

Yes

I hear they have pushbike cycle - by shootings these days
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 08, 2021, 02:12:49 PM

Instead of working with residents on developing traffic calming and reduction measures, Hackney Council (all Labour except for three Stamford Hill Conservatives) imposes poorly thought out schemes dreamed up by an office junior to spend every penny of the half-million dished out by Sadiq Khan...

The revolution will come on a bike
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Luckily in Hackney, LibDems in any elected office are extinct. But Labour zealots make up for their extreme views in traffic measures.   
They impose traffic restrictions by blocking off roads, causing grid locks — even alongside school playgrounds with stationary traffic belching CO2 and NOX — when the best idea would be to get traffic through the borough quickly, and without holdups.   
Hackney Residents' Parking Permits are now priced to discourage diesel and older vehicles. Looking at vehicles in the residents' parking along Hackney's roads, many are older models, with a significant proportion coming from the time when diesel was promoted as the way to reduce fossil fuel consumption and CO2.   
Instead of working with residents on developing traffic calming and reduction measures, Hackney Council (all Labour except for three Stamford Hill Conservatives) imposes poorly thought out schemes dreamed up by an office junior to spend every penny of the half-million dished out by Sadiq Khan...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on May 08, 2021, 09:10:53 AM
I'd like an electric car but there are two reasons I'm sticking to a diesel one for the next year or two.

1) My budget won't stretch to a new or very recent secondhand car, whatever its means of propulsion
2) Older electric cars such as early Nissan Leafs had a very limited range, even when new.

You surprise me

I would have thought a lib dem would thoroughly embrace the dogma of denying the great unwashed their personal freedom for the good of the dogma

How can you not want the proletariat controlled and restricted from travel ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

I'd like an electric car but there are two reasons I'm sticking to a diesel one for the next year or two.

1) My budget won't stretch to a new or very recent secondhand car, whatever its means of propulsion
2) Older electric cars such as early Nissan Leafs had a very limited range, even when new.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 03, 2021, 04:29:58 PM

I have, TODAY, found several TOSSERCO supermarkets have persuaded Diesel Antichrist Volkswagen to do penance for their sin by installing 22kW chargers at TOSSERCO supermarkets which are FREE to use (but you have to bring your own jump leads). For those running EV's "podpoint" is your friend.

# torque from zero rpm according to Tesla. Yeah. With the range of a fecking golf ball. Load of old shite. My ST has been "plugged in" too, when it was remapped, and its now just a few digits short of 300 horses. Ok, ok, it only does about 25mpg when driven hard, but boy is it fun to drive  :D

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 03, 2021, 04:26:50 PM

That model has caused MASSIVE hassle among the greenturds because along with the car comes a monitoring programme which has proven almost every one purchased for a company fleet has never been plugged in EVER. They are being bought for their tax effectiveness, and driven on fuel all the time.
Probably a petrol-head myth — but in any case the Outlander PHEV is both a plug-in and self-charging hybrid, and not just a self-charging hybrid. Depending on its use, nobody in their right mind would haul around a heavy battery pack for no benefit, and incur a high fuel bill, when business mileage still has to be registered...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: DeppityDawg on May 03, 2021, 08:45:39 AM

I think I'd rather walk than drive a 24kw car. Wtf. That's not enough to pull your ******** back  :D

I have, TODAY, found several TOSSERCO supermarkets have persuaded Diesel Antichrist Volkswagen to do penance for their sin by installing 22kW chargers at TOSSERCO supermarkets which are FREE to use (but you have to bring your own jump leads). For those running EV's "podpoint" is your friend.

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on May 02, 2021, 05:53:48 PM
Mrs bought a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in September 2019. There's not been much chance to do journeys of more than 50 miles (and mostly they've been 10 to 15). Twice now a warning light has flashed up saying "add fuel". This is because it judges the fuel in the tank to be getting old. I've filled up once and Mrs remembers adding petrol twice.
The claim of 150 mpg under the NEDC regime is obviously stretching credulity in the real world, but it will easily do 30+ miles as an EV and that covers most of the trips it's done so far. So with a combination of plug in charging and self charging, I reckon it is actually achieving over 80 mpg, possibly much more. 
It's also annual road tax, congestion charge and emission zone charge free. Plus resident parking is £10 a year compared to £200 for a 2ltr diesel...

That model has caused MASSIVE hassle among the greenturds because along with the car comes a monitoring programme which has proven almost every one purchased for a company fleet has never been plugged in EVER. They are being bought for their tax effectiveness, and driven on fuel all the time.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 02, 2021, 05:10:07 PM

The car I have is a lowest of the low 24 kWh 2012 model

There have been two upgrades since, the first to 30kwh, the second to 40 which I guess doubles the range

Apparently battery packs for newer leafs have fallen hugely while replacements for holder models cost insane amounts.

The car is really nice, but I fear it will be in landfill long before the deadline.

It is starkly clear the green lobby want car ownership to revert to the Edwardian era. Those to whom £50k is no problem get to ride, the rest of you shit can walk.

I think I'd rather walk than drive a 24kw car. Wtf. That's not enough to pull your ******** back  :D

Barry

Yeah, it's a great car, don't regret buying it. Comes into it's own on a motorway. Brilliant.
† The end is nigh †