Don't be thinking Electric cars will satisfy

Started by Sheepy, November 21, 2020, 10:47:13 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on November 21, 2020, 04:51:36 PM
This 'brave new vision' is taking shape all around us now, in case you hadn't noticed. Last year 21% of UK's total electricity came from wind and 3.9 % from solar. So together they provided a quarter of all our electricity.  In 2010 the figure was under 3% so that's an 8-fold increase in 9 years. So it's not unreasonable to think that over half UK's electricity will be generated by wind and solar by 2030.
So in other words I am correct, it is nowhere near in place and as you all want to use ten times the amount in future from green policy and doing away with fossil fuel usage, you are up the creek without a paddle.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

HDQQ

Quote from: Sheepy on November 21, 2020, 03:55:17 PMIn the windmills of your mind perhaps Ducky. When everyone else knows it isn't in place or sustainable at the rate it is said it can be relied on to produce the amount of power needed for this brave new vision you all keep telling us about.
This 'brave new vision' is taking shape all around us now, in case you hadn't noticed. Last year 21% of UK's total electricity came from wind and 3.9 % from solar. So together they provided a quarter of all our electricity.  In 2010 the figure was under 3% so that's an 8-fold increase in 9 years. So it's not unreasonable to think that over half UK's electricity will be generated by wind and solar by 2030.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on November 21, 2020, 02:14:51 PM
How do you think we managed to develop an infrastructure to refine supply petrol and diesel to millions of road vehicles in this country?
In comparison, our electricity grid is already in place.
In the windmills of your mind perhaps Ducky. When everyone else knows it isn't in place or sustainable at the rate it is said it can be relied on to produce the amount of power needed for this brave new vision you all keep telling us about.

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on November 21, 2020, 01:18:24 PM
My son messaged me to say his car wouldn't start. 5 year old car, had sounded a bit slow on the starter this week. Battery obviously u/s.
Just wondered what you do if that is an electric car. Oh dear, battery has gone. New one?
Well it's not going to be the £100 or so for a petrol car, is it? And we all know rechargeables don't last forever.
That would be £5000 please sir. That won't satisfy anyone, except the filthy rich.

Now, don't get me started on the UK power requirements to charge them all, because it is not achievable in time for 2030.
Then there's the fact it's all based on an iffy ideology. It's a mad mad mad mad world - you could make a film.

How do you think we managed to develop an infrastructure to refine supply petrol and diesel to millions of road vehicles in this country?
In comparison, our electricity grid is already in place.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 21, 2020, 12:39:23 PM
I dunno I was reading a piece the other day (can't remember where) that China is on an all out drive for electric only vehicles,and they don't have election worries but do have the technology ad access to rare earths,also read that Cornwall is trying to revive its lithium mining.

Virtually all scooters in China are electric. You can't move for the damn things.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on November 21, 2020, 01:18:24 PM
My son messaged me to say his car wouldn't start. 5 year old car, had sounded a bit slow on the starter this week. Battery obviously u/s.
Just wondered what you do if that is an electric car. Oh dear, battery has gone. New one?
Well it's not going to be the £100 or so for a petrol car, is it? And we all know rechargeables don't last forever.
That would be £5000 please sir. That won't satisfy anyone, except the filthy rich.

Now, don't get me started on the UK power requirements to charge them all, because it is not achievable in time for 2030.
Then there's the fact it's all based on an iffy ideology. It's a mad mad mad mad world - you could make a film.
Dunno almost like I said then, even with a green agenda you need infrastructure and a manufacturing base.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

On a skim read, what the thread appears to be saying is that sheep will be riding ducky or vice versa into battle against electric cyclists with a sword, while being powered on fish and chips and compressed methane. Which explains the funny posting.

And horses replace buses between Tonbridge and Tunbridge from 16:30 - 17:30 every Sunday, while GHG replacement work goes on...
+++

Borchester

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 21, 2020, 12:24:20 PM
If we are talking about the recent announcement of no new Petrol or Diesel vehicles sold after 2030, I suspect that this deadline will slip considerably as it approaches.
My instinct is that this is simply a measure to take it off the agenda as a major election issue at the next general election.

Quite. It seems absurd but I can't help but wonder how of this Green Agenda comes from the fact that Carrie Symonds is a tree hugger. As soon as Boris finds a new squeeze we will go back nuclear powered motor cars.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on November 21, 2020, 12:24:20 PM
If we are talking about the recent announcement of no new Petrol or Diesel vehicles sold after 2030, I suspect that this deadline will slip considerably as it approaches.
My instinct is that this is simply a measure to take it off the agenda as a major election issue at the next general election.
I dunno I was reading a piece the other day (can't remember where) that China is on an all out drive for electric only vehicles,and they don't have election worries but do have the technology ad access to rare earths,also read that Cornwall is trying to revive its lithium mining.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

DeppityDawg

Quote from: HDQQ on November 21, 2020, 11:58:26 AM
OK, yes I know none of us on here are really untouchable but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) I think the original suggestion was ever so slightly tongue in cheek and I can't see this thread heading in a sensible direction any time soon!

Not now you're on it, no.

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on November 21, 2020, 12:01:36 PM
But I'll be on my horse, not my bike, and when I hit the button that supplies compressed air to it's mask it will be you getting a whiff of recycled hay as we gallop past you.
I doubt it, Horses fart. Greenhouse gases.

HDQQ

Quote from: Sheepy on November 21, 2020, 11:50:21 AMSo when I pass ducky on his Bike, he gets a good whiff of fish and chips, just a bonus really.
But I'll be on my horse, not my bike, and when I hit the button that supplies compressed air to it's mask it will be you getting a whiff of recycled hay as we gallop past you.

HDQQ

Quote from: cromwell on November 21, 2020, 11:46:41 AMAnyway to the main point no one is untouchable on here,not Sheeps,the forum owner,admin or the mods we all have to accept the rules and if necessary find our posts edited or if required more.
OK, yes I know none of us on here are really untouchable but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) I think the original suggestion was ever so slightly tongue in cheek and I can't see this thread heading in a sensible direction any time soon!