Labour accused of betraying the working class

Started by DeppityDawg, November 23, 2020, 08:08:31 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

QuoteIf im reading this right dyno it merely sounds like a labour party excuse , diversion and deflection.

Funny Robroy, I was just having a little fun watching the very same thing.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 24, 2020, 10:33:25 AM
I see you chose not to fully read (or perhaps not a word) what Embery said in the piece DD posted or if you did you then purposely misinterpreted it to mount a defence of all that's wrong with labour.

Whatever the case it then is a dishonest response,TBH I expect better but you seem to adopt an animal farm approach (four legs good two legs bad ring a bell) In what seems a blind devotion to a party that long ago lost its way and deserted its core support,those who you now deride.
An you are misinterpreting me. Of course I read the piece in full. It included statistics re the dominance of middle glass graduates in Labour which I acknowledged. But the quoted sources of discontent include a dislike of same sex marriage and a dislike of immigration. These are not bread and butter working class concerns in my view, but often ones fueled by homophobia and xenophobia. After all, who but phobes are really that concerned about who marries who? Live and let live is itself after all a typically working class expression. Pick better examples if you want to highlight the very real disconnect, not ones that focus upon the imagined concerns of a minority of often ageing phobes whose moral compass is still stuck in the 1970s, if not the 1950s.

And you yourself are either being dishonest or never read my post properly if you think it is a defence of Labour, whose abandonment of the working class I acknowledge and myself abhor. But I mean the real concerns such as piss-take rents, zero security of tenure, crappy work contracts, rubbish pay, whilst all the while bombarded by middle class nostrums about the ideal of home ownership, or university attendance, and a middle class vision of "aspiration".
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sampanviking

Just to help all the Islington and Ealing resident members, I am going to try and develop a Semaphore Flag based system of virtue signalling, to help reconnect with their old working class base.

Borchester

The Labour party doesn't mind the working class, it is that it finds it a bit, well, common.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 24, 2020, 09:37:22 AM
So a lot of words are basically being used to say the working class is being betrayed because Labour does not pander to their homophobia and xenophobia?

I find that an insult to the working classes to be honest. We are not all knuckle-dragging ourselves back to the 1970s.

Though the article has a point re middle class dominance of Labour today. There are very few working class people in senior positions in the party anymore which affects priorities, with working class concerns accorded a low priority.

Take housing for example. It is now all about encouraging the middle class ideal of home ownership, with tenants a mere afterthought. Nothing was done in 13 years of office to achieve a fairer deal for tenants. And at senior levels Labour contains vastly more landlords than tenants and as such in no way reflects the working class millions.

And higher education. It is now all about maximising the middle class ideal of a few years at uni for as many people as possible, with very little focus on vocational training.

Bread and butter working class concerns re housing and jobs largely go unaddressed. It is these the party needs to properly address, not pander to homophobia or xenophobia. Labour long ago abandoned the working classes on bread and butter isssues, believing "we are all middle class now." Er, no we are f**king not! And never were. The party lost touch with it's working class base under Blair with such thinking.

We tried to address bread and butter working class concerns much more with our popular 2017 manifesto, but by then Brexit was the issue of the age, and the Establishment fought back hard against the perceived threat to the Thatcherite economic consensus we represented, with overt anti-left bias and waves of demonisation. And our leader Corbyn was simply too weak in the face of this.

But we need to reconnect with the working classes by addressing their bread and butter concerns, not by pandering to any homophobic or xenophobic elements amongst them.

I fully expect that the ones who choose the Daily Mail as their bible will kick against me on this, so I'll probably get a full on rant from DD, lol.
I see you chose not to fully read (or perhaps not a word) what Embery said in the piece DD posted or if you did you then purposely misinterpreted it to mount a defence of all that's wrong with labour.

Whatever the case it then is a dishonest response,TBH I expect better but you seem to adopt an animal farm approach (four legs good two legs bad ring a bell) In what seems a blind devotion to a party that long ago lost its way and deserted its core support,those who you now deride.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: srb7677 on November 24, 2020, 09:37:22 AMI fully expect that the ones who choose the Daily Mail as their bible will kick against me on this, so I'll probably get a full on rant from DD, lol.

You're not really worth it anymore Steve.

srb7677

So a lot of words are basically being used to say the working class is being betrayed because Labour does not pander to their homophobia and xenophobia?

I find that an insult to the working classes to be honest. We are not all knuckle-dragging ourselves back to the 1970s.

Though the article has a point re middle class dominance of Labour today. There are very few working class people in senior positions in the party anymore which affects priorities, with working class concerns accorded a low priority.

Take housing for example. It is now all about encouraging the middle class ideal of home ownership, with tenants a mere afterthought. Nothing was done in 13 years of office to achieve a fairer deal for tenants. And at senior levels Labour contains vastly more landlords than tenants and as such in no way reflects the working class millions.

And higher education. It is now all about maximising the middle class ideal of a few years at uni for as many people as possible, with very little focus on vocational training.

Bread and butter working class concerns re housing and jobs largely go unaddressed. It is these the party needs to properly address, not pander to homophobia or xenophobia. Labour long ago abandoned the working classes on bread and butter isssues, believing "we are all middle class now." Er, no we are fucking not! And never were. The party lost touch with it's working class base under Blair with such thinking.

We tried to address bread and butter working class concerns much more with our popular 2017 manifesto, but by then Brexit was the issue of the age, and the Establishment fought back hard against the perceived threat to the Thatcherite economic consensus we represented, with overt anti-left bias and waves of demonisation. And our leader Corbyn was simply too weak in the face of this.

But we need to reconnect with the working classes by addressing their bread and butter concerns, not by pandering to any homophobic or xenophobic elements amongst them.

I fully expect that the ones who choose the Daily Mail as their bible will kick against me on this, so I'll probably get a full on rant from DD, lol.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on November 24, 2020, 08:21:50 AM
If im reading this right dyno it merely sounds like a labour party excuse , diversion and deflection.

Wait what?

How are you reading "Arguably, Labour betrayed the working class in 1900"

.. as me saying just shut up and vote for and support Labour?

I'm genuinely confused I'm not trying to start an argument..

Maybe my posting style conveys the exact opposite message to what I'm trying to say.. if that reads as saying Labour are the saviours of the working class, then I'm at a loss. Unless you're trying to stir things up or something.. ;)
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on November 24, 2020, 01:07:11 AM
Arguably, Labour betrayed the working class in 1900 when they started off trying to hobble unofficial 'wildcat' strikes etc. Back in those days that's the only thing that really improved pay & conditions.

Most of the strikers weren't 'communist', they were just angry folks demanding their rights so they could properly feed their families, most were quite patriotic and the same signed up to fight in the world wars. If they hadn't paid the price in blood for the rights we have today - and if others like the sufragettes later on weren't busy dying too, the "women's lib has gone too far" ladies still wouldn't even have the vote today. Everything we take for granted has been paid for in blood. They weren't 'communist' either, the 'gettes, and probably Labour would have tried to say they were "going too far" in breaking the law etc...

Anyway, the 'puberty vote' holding their face in their hands about what they've done, may find another 'brick in the wall" when Boris reneges on Brexit and makes them look as gullible and naive as I knew they were - then people will rather stupidly vote for Farage's new reform party, can just see it now, Farage as PM. It's going to be a tough time for sure..

Stalin worshipping pinko commie bhastahrd over and out.

If im reading this right dyno it merely sounds like a labour party excuse , diversion and deflection.

Doesnt matter what johnson and the tories do , the point is in the past people would look to labour to "save them" , and interestingly that just isnt happening. Folk cant stand labour .

They might stumble into power at some point , but it wont be because of universal love of the people , more like the stitch up of your countrys political system.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 23, 2020, 08:08:31 PM
Not a lover of the Mirror, but a great article. Seen all this dozens of times on this forum. Refreshing someone has elected to turn it into a book. Might even buy it. Will the new party of the Middle Class read it? I doubt that very much.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-accused-of-betraying-the-working-class-in-passionate-attack-by-one-of-its-prominent-life-long-supporters/ar-BB1bgTTC?ocid=msedgntp

great article.

Labour will never get my vote ever again , nor many millions like me.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Very good article DD which tells it as it is .

Will the elected read it and take it onboard ? I doubt it but Labour did betray the working class and will never be forgiven for it

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 23, 2020, 08:08:31 PM
Not a lover of the Mirror, but a great article. Seen all this dozens of times on this forum. Refreshing someone has elected to turn it into a book. Might even buy it. Will the new party of the Middle Class read it? I doubt that very much.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-accused-of-betraying-the-working-class-in-passionate-attack-by-one-of-its-prominent-life-long-supporters/ar-BB1bgTTC?ocid=msedgntp

Arguably, Labour betrayed the working class in 1900 when they started off trying to hobble unofficial 'wildcat' strikes etc. Back in those days that's the only thing that really improved pay & conditions.

Most of the strikers weren't 'communist', they were just angry folks demanding their rights so they could properly feed their families, most were quite patriotic and the same signed up to fight in the world wars. If they hadn't paid the price in blood for the rights we have today - and if others like the sufragettes later on weren't busy dying too, the "women's lib has gone too far" ladies still wouldn't even have the vote today. Everything we take for granted has been paid for in blood. They weren't 'communist' either, the 'gettes, and probably Labour would have tried to say they were "going too far" in breaking the law etc...

Anyway, the 'puberty vote' holding their face in their hands about what they've done, may find another 'brick in the wall" when Boris reneges on Brexit and makes them look as gullible and naive as I knew they were - then people will rather stupidly vote for Farage's new reform party, can just see it now, Farage as PM. It's going to be a tough time for sure..

Stalin worshipping pinko commie bhastahrd over and out.
+++

DeppityDawg

QuoteThe party has lost contact with its roots. A 2017 survey found that 77 per cent of Labour Party members fell within the ABC1 social classes. Nearly half of all its members lived in London or southern England, and 57 per cent were graduates.

The party neither looks nor sounds very much like those it was created to represent, Embery writes. Many of its representatives and spokespeople, indeed, much of its membership, live wholly different lives, and have contrasting interests and priorities, to millions of working-class people living in the more disadvantaged parts of our nation

Embery is scathing not just of modern Labour for its volte face, but of trade unions too, accusing them of moral bankruptcy for putting their ideological commitment to freedom of movement ahead of the livelihoods of their members.

Now anyone against open borders is likely to be branded Far Right, despite numerous surveys showing that Britain is one of the most tolerant countries on earth. What many people oppose is not immigration, Embery argues, but mass immigration: The distinction is important, because it is the later that has the capacity to destroy communities

You oppose mass immigration at your peril in the modern Labour Party, just as you risk contempt for challenging other modern orthodoxies, for instance by expressing the view that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Homophobia, says Embery, is deplorable, but so is The sheer venom that is often directed at people for simply holding a belief that until fairly recently was regarded as the conventional wisdom

He is not arguing for a repeal of the law on same-sex marriage, but for an end to the witch-hunt of those who have not accepted far-reaching change with the enthusiasm demanded of them by the liberal and cultural elites

Lucid, angry and brave, Despised skewers many on the Left for betraying the very people they should be fighting for. With scalpel-sharp precision, Embery forensically dismembers the misguided and myopic monopoly of opinion that has alienated Labour from its traditional supporters and doomed it to failure at the polls. And, if I'm allowed some more alliteration, I'll add moronic to that list, like the idea approved at Labour's 2019 conference that every foreigner living in Britain should have the vote, even if they only moved here last month. That was a victory for Labour's globalist liberals and yet another smack in the face for those voters who fondly thought that Labour would stand up for their communities and their way of life.