Main Menu

Horrifying.

Started by Dynamis, November 24, 2020, 01:34:40 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on November 24, 2020, 02:29:14 PM
:(

I'm truly sorry toots.

..and your daughters - it makes me deeply upset and angry. I know that means less than nothing, sympathy and feelings achieve nothing and are worth nothing, only real action to stop this means anything. Fair enough. But just saying... you are probably right that men would get more attention, which is really even worse.

This society's just unbelievable, really. f**king unbelievable.

It shouldn't be like that and NEVER should've been. All women and girls deserve so much better.

Sadly as you rightly suggest feeling don't count. One occasion I did report to my mum who promptly told dad because the man concerned was known to him. Many years later mum told me that dad went to see the chap at his home. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that. I have a grand-daughter who is 11. I look at her in her complete innocence. She is not street wise as I wasn't and feel deeply sorry that she will also have to learn to be careful.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on November 24, 2020, 02:14:38 PM
Sorry guys but it has always been so. It's no good being surprised/horrified. It happened to me several times. The first I remember was at about 12 yrs old on a bus by a man sat next to me. He looked like a respectable business man in his suit looking middle aged to me. I never mentioned it to parents or friends. I was embarrassed and moved my school bag so his hands were more easily visible, but he sat there until his stop. I was more than relieved to see him get off.

I ran the gamut of drivers honking horns, wolf whistles, propositions as they walk past me as a teen. It happened to most girls/women. In recent years wolf whistles from building sites became frowned on so my own daughters didn't experience it as much, but I confess that my experiences made me advise them from quite a young age to stay together and avoid quiet places.

As a London lawyer after Uni my one daughter used to call me as she walked home late from the offices many a time until she was safely in her flat. Women learn from a young age to be fearful. Perhaps it needs the menfolk to start a campaign, it might get heard sooner.

:(

I'm truly sorry toots.

..and your daughters - it makes me deeply upset and angry. I know that means less than nothing, sympathy and feelings achieve nothing and are worth nothing, only real action to stop this means anything. Fair enough. But just saying... you are probably right that protesting blokes would draw more people to this cause, which is really even worse and reaffirms our deeply sick society.. This society's just unbelievable, really. F**king unbelievable.

It should not be like that and NEVER been. All women and girls deserve so much better.
+++

T00ts

Sorry guys but it has always been so. It's no good being surprised/horrified. It happened to me several times. The first I remember was at about 12 yrs old on a bus by a man sat next to me. He looked like a respectable business man in his suit looking middle aged to me. I never mentioned it to parents or friends. I was embarrassed and moved my school bag so his hands were more easily visible, but he sat there until his stop. I was more than relieved to see him get off.

I ran the gamut of drivers honking horns, wolf whistles, propositions as they walk past me as a teen. It happened to most girls/women. In recent years wolf whistles from building sites became frowned on so my own daughters didn't experience it as much, but I confess that my experiences made me advise them from quite a young age to stay together and avoid quiet places.

As a London lawyer after Uni my one daughter used to call me as she walked home late from the offices many a time until she was safely in her flat. Women learn from a young age to be fearful. Perhaps it needs the menfolk to start a campaign, it might get heard sooner.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar on November 24, 2020, 02:05:16 PM
A shame that you immediately jump to making assumptions about someone you know next to nothing about, rather than have a meaningful discussion. You will leave it there.

You don't really do meaningful discussion half the time, and instead apply real blunt force trauma arguments tinted with extreme idealism which doesn't always work in the real world. Just saying.

I apologize if I've gotten you wrong, but let's face it, can you see that happening? Do you really think people who have a bad history with cops and social services as was the case there, are going to call cops? That's not going to happen is it? In fact, you jumped to assidealized assumptions there..

+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on November 24, 2020, 02:01:52 PMI wouldn't expect you to understand as you've probably never lived on an estate or in a place where ko one reports stuff to the police, if you do you are labelled a snitch and bad things can happen. I will leave it there.

A shame that you immediately jump to making assumptions about someone you know next to nothing about, rather than have a meaningful discussion. You will leave it there.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borg Refinery

Sky article - https://news.sky.com/story/call-for-public-sexual-harassment-of-young-women-and-girls-to-become-a-criminal-offence-12139860

Petition -

https://www.change.org/p/make-public-sexual-harassment-a-criminal-offence-in-the-uk/u/28110013

Quote from: Nalaar on November 24, 2020, 01:52:00 PM
Groping someone (whether 15 or 50) is sexual harassment and should be reported to the police. Why is 'community vigilantism' required when the law is their to protect the victim?

Yeah, because every complaint results in cops doing stuff, not to say they don't do a good job but it simply doesn't work this way in some places. I wouldn't expect you to understand as you've probably never lived on an estate or in a place where ko one reports stuff to the police, if you do you are labelled a snitch and bad things can happen. I will leave it there.

+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on November 24, 2020, 01:34:40 PMOn some estate around here, I heard some shopkeeper tried to grope a 15 year old, almost got stabbed to death. That's bad but if it's the only thing that'll stop these predators then I don't know what to say.. a necessary deterrent? Community vigilantism? Is that what we're reduced to now to protect our communities..really?

Groping someone (whether 15 or 50) is sexual harassment and should be reported to the police. Why is 'community vigilantism' required when the law is their to protect the victim?
Don't believe everything you think.

patman post

Listened to Emma Barnett on R5 this morning interviewing some neanderthal about what's called Cat Calling and he was saying it's girls' fault for dressing the way they do — and he was referring to schoolgirls, although he reckoned they were sixth-formers...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Just heard on the radio a while ago, these schoolgirls are running this campaign to stop sick predators from making undue advances on them/catcalling/harassing them. She said nearly all her friends have had this problem, and her sister was targeted at 11 years old.

11 years old.

What sort of a country are we living in that girls even have to start a campaign about this in the first place? I mean really? Where it's so widespread? Is our society really so desperately sick in the head that stuff like this is occurring? When I listened I just felt like puking that this could happen on such a scale. On some estate around here, I heard some shopkeeper tried to grope a 15 year old, almost got stabbed to death. That's bad but if it's the only thing that'll stop these predators then I don't know what to say.. a necessary deterrent? Community vigilantism? Is that what we're reduced to now to protect our communities..really?
+++