A question of efficiency.

Started by Nick, November 24, 2020, 10:21:46 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2020, 06:09:12 PM
He also says that the laws of physics that apply here apply everywhere. And the laws of physics state you can neither be outside of something that is infinite nor pass from inside to outside.

Firstly I fully respect anyone's religious beliefs, but I don't think they will ever change mine.

The argument goes like this:

The universe is so amazing it couldn't possibly evolved by chance. Therefore, God is even more amazing so he couldn't possibly have evolved by chance. But all of a sudden there is a u-turn when the answer comes back that He can do anything and has always been here. My answer is the universe is amazing so it equally could have been here for ever.

For me this is where God comes into it, he just fills a void and is the answer to all the unknowns. I'm happy to wait until science solves the riddle, cause they will one day.

You are right and He is the answer to all unknowns, but just because mankind has not and will not manage to solve it and write a paper, we have plenty of writings and revelation that does most certainly fill the gap. Your proof will come most certainly. You will look up one day and Christ will reveal Himself surrounded by a myriad of Angels. You won't need science to prove it because the whole world will know exactly who He is. Of course there is a very difficult time coming first, wars, rumours of wars, famine, pestilence, flooding etc so it depends if we individually survive on earth long enough. It seems familiar doesn't it, but He is not finished yet. God will choose who survives and also the moment of the second coming. He also chooses just how much knowledge mankind will receive.

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 25, 2020, 05:41:59 PMI think 2000 may be going a bit far ...

There's 4,300 religions in the world so there is a lot of Gods.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 25, 2020, 05:34:41 PM

to YOU.

but, if you have read hawking's book, to an omniscient supreme being, the area outside the cones is available for tinkering, without us mortals ever knowing anything about it...

He also says that the laws of physics that apply here apply everywhere. And the laws of physics state you can neither be outside of something that is infinite nor pass from inside to outside.

Firstly I fully respect anyone's religious beliefs, but I don't think they will ever change mine.

The argument goes like this:

The universe is so amazing it couldn't possibly evolved by chance. Therefore, God is even more amazing so he couldn't possibly have evolved by chance. But all of a sudden there is a u-turn when the answer comes back that He can do anything and has always been here. My answer is the universe is amazing so it equally could have been here for ever.

For me this is where God comes into it, he just fills a void and is the answer to all the unknowns. I'm happy to wait until science solves the riddle, cause they will one day.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 25, 2020, 05:41:59 PM

I think 2000 may be going a bit far ...

There was a website that collected all sorts of stuff.. ah yes https://www.sacred-texts.com/

They have a rather long list ...

I sat down about thirty years ago and came to the conclusion that if there was an afterlife, about 4 out of five of the followers of the world's religions would actually wake up in it and think Oh, OK

But there are three sects of one offshoot who need to think they are the only ones there, and they have their own walled garden, which may be perfumed, in which to pretend they were the only ones that were right and the others were wrong and are now burning in hell (or whatever)

I don't follow.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on November 25, 2020, 01:55:46 PM
Really I didn't know there were that many - but nevertheless I am certain that if they were all traced back far enough they would all evolve from the same source.

I think 2000 may be going a bit far ...

There was a website that collected all sorts of stuff.. ah yes https://www.sacred-texts.com/

They have a rather long list ...

I sat down about thirty years ago and came to the conclusion that if there was an afterlife, about 4 out of five of the followers of the world's religions would actually wake up in it and think Oh, OK

But there are three sects of one offshoot who need to think they are the only ones there, and they have their own walled garden, which may be perfumed, in which to pretend they were the only ones that were right and the others were wrong and are now burning in hell (or whatever)
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2020, 01:32:19 PM
But the observable universe isn't parallel is it, its concurrent.

to YOU.

but, if you have read hawking's book, to an omniscient supreme being, the area outside the cones is available for tinkering, without us mortals ever knowing anything about it...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2020, 01:34:33 PM
There are over 2000 Gods and every single religion says theirs is the right one!!

Really I didn't know there were that many - but nevertheless I am certain that if they were all traced back far enough they would all evolve from the same source.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on November 25, 2020, 11:46:16 AMI find it interesting that you so often make reference to different Gods.

There are over 2000 Gods and every single religion says theirs is the right one!!

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 25, 2020, 10:26:10 AM

I'm guessing to provide a number of parallel opportunities to "press this button and see how things turn out..."

But the observable universe isn't parallel is it, its concurrent.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on November 25, 2020, 12:43:15 PM
Because He can.
He could have stopped at a Sun and Earth, but the night sky would have been awfully boring.
He also needs a certain asteroid which is coming one day!

I believe it is a comet.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on November 24, 2020, 10:21:46 PM
The Hubble Deep Field, an extremely long exposure of a relatively empty part of the sky, provided evidence that there are about 125 billion (1.25×1011) galaxies in the observable universe and the fact there are a 100 billion stars in our galaxy suggests that a lot of work has been done for nothing.
Why would someone (God) create trillions of stars and planets if no other life exists in the universe?
Because He can.
He could have stopped at a Sun and Earth, but the night sky would have been awfully boring.
He also needs a certain asteroid which is coming one day!
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on November 25, 2020, 11:26:16 AM
I do not believe that is the common thought no, as it creates a lot of problems - Such as the god having to exist within Time, and probably more importantly from a Christian perspective that the god should make mistakes. It is therefore normally argued that the Christian god is omniscient.

Yes I can understand that viewpoint and after I wrote that post I was thinking about it again. Perhaps my thought is that the process that this world is going through could be repeated infinite times.   So I guess we might not be the first. That brings the learning process into question. Who is learning? Perhaps it isn't God but those He creates. Your reference to time is interesting because I believe that God's time is not the same as ours. So I don't think our understanding of time comes into it.

Omniscient most certainly. I find it interesting that you so often make reference to different Gods. There is only one. He might be worshipped in many different ways and be given different guises but there is only one. The reference to Christianity is the acceptance of Jesus as His Son which for me is a whole different question.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on November 25, 2020, 11:19:28 AMI don't know it but somehow it stands to reason.

I do not believe that is the common thought no, as it creates a lot of problems - Such as the god having to exist within Time, and probably more importantly from a Christian perspective that the god should make mistakes. It is therefore normally argued that the Christian god is omniscient.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on November 25, 2020, 11:14:22 AM
Do you think your god is still learning?

I don't know it but somehow it stands to reason.